AFLW Preview Geelong V Collingwood Sat 2nd Feb 6:45pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our you referring to our guys team needing help, because Morrison the "chick" in the top photo was arguable BOG last night, had a major influence across the ground and her odds on being best first year player in the league became even shorter.

22 disposals of which 13 were contested to go with at least 9 tackles & the game winning score is a pretty decent debut

Trust me - our women's team will be just fine

I think it means that Nina could give the AFL Boyz a hand ;)

Full coaches votes:

GEELONG v COLLINGWOOD
10 Nina Morrison (GEEL)
7 Ashleigh Brazill (COLL)
6 Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
5 Meghan McDonald (GEEL)
1 Madeline Keryk (GEEL)
1 Maddie Boyd (GEEL)

Full coaches votes:

GEELONG v COLLINGWOOD
10 Nina Morrison (GEEL)
7 Ashleigh Brazill (COLL)
6 Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
5 Meghan McDonald (GEEL)
1 Madeline Keryk (GEEL)
1 Maddie Boyd (GEEL)
Glad Brazill got votes she played a great game for the Pies

Second in our conference:

The conferences seem really imbalanced (A looking way stronger).

Still creates a lot of interesting possibilities in terms of how teams will jockey for position. I think not having to play Norf Tasmania will be a big boost to our efforts.

Still excited this morning about our inaugural game + win.

Nina Morrison is such a revelation! With 22 Disposals + eight tackles. Not only is she a talented player, she is composed, gets into position every time + she's won the hearts of Geelong supporters. Really enjoyed her game.
638145-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Other players, who stood out for me:
Madeline Boyd kicked two goals + played well, considering we were without Phoebe Williams.
Madeline Boyd celebrates her historic first goal for Geelong AFLW with Sophie Van De Heuvel
3267.jpg

Madeline Keryk imposed herself upon the game with 16 Disposals + six tackles
KERYK_Maddie_m.png

Meg McDonald was great in Defence, dare I say, there is a glimmer of Scarlo in her game? I'm impressed by Meg, who I thought really stood her ground.
MCDONALD_Meg_m.png

Renee Garing - 17 Disposals + seven Tackles
images

Madeleine McMahon just appeared everywhere + impacted the game. I'm impressed by her intensity + determination.
MCMAHON_Maddie_m.png

Aasta O'Connor - 18 Hit Outs. Well, at least our AFLW has a good Ruck lol
Geelong-AFLW-Aasta-OConnor-e1526641115853.jpg

Danielle Orr - Shaun Higgins' sister was another player, who impressed me. She gives every effort + is a great competitor.
ORR_Danielle_m.png

Mia-Rae Clifford's goal celebration
51223885_2396901680339627_9200526938303627264_o.jpg

Just look at the delight of all these girls as Georgie Rankin faces adoring Cats' supporters. Potential, future AFLW players?
4592.jpg

A friend, who was at the game said all the Girlz were fabulous with the kids - "They've already got the (Frank Costa) Geelong way."

Another thing that stood out for me was the way they played as a cohesive team! Looks like they've taken a few tips from the guys' Defence the way they backed up one another. Noticed there were a few times when a player missed a Mark or a Handball, there was another player there to gather the spill. The Girlz were tough, competitive, skilled + showed great determination.

There is definitely an improvement in their game. While the Girlz don't kick as far as the Boyz, I reckon there was an improvement in kicking of about 10 to 15 metres. They've honed their skills, with less clanger kicks + the improvement of their handballing, under pressure, out of packs is very noticeable. As I said previously, no 'hot potato', panicked handballing. The accuracy of their kicking + handballing to targets has also lifted. While they were fatigued towards the end of the game, I reckon their speed + fitness has improved too. Excellent coaching by Paul Hood.

Geelong were more aggressive with the ball in Q2 + made some strong tackles, which cemented our win, in such a close game.

Geelong AFLW team celebrate their inaugural game with an historic win!
2903.jpg

Geelong's recruitment for the AFLW team is another success. Does Wells recruit our AFLW team, too?

What you may not have seen was the argy Bargy behind play from the woods. It seemed to fire the girls up actually so they really stuck their tackles with touch of extra conviction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If we wanted to play the bad guys with the draft last year we could have taken Morrison and Purcell with late picks as they had nominated Geelong as their zone, but chose to take them in the spots where they were rated.

Would have been a quick way to throw away a very advantageous situation

The conferences seem really imbalanced (A looking way stronger).

Still creates a lot of interesting possibilities in terms of how teams will jockey for position. I think not having to play Norf Tasmania will be a big boost to our efforts.
Totally agree - could easily end up with a situation where 3rd place in conference A has more wins then 2nd place in our conference.

Going to be super important to win as many games against our conference opponents because WB, Adelaide & Freo are going to be tough opponents - I'm glad we get Freo in Geelong and that we don't have to fly west to west to play them

Hey Mods, I reckon the women deserve to have separate threads for Preview, Autopsy and MVP for each game - just like the blokes. Easier to follow for inter-staters like me with very little 'other' media coverage. And besides, it's not like there's a deluge of other quality threads being generated this time of year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree - could easily end up with a situation where 3rd place in conference A has more wins then 2nd place in our conference.

Going to be super important to win as many games against our conference opponents because WB, Adelaide & Freo are going to be tough opponents - I'm glad we get Freo in Geelong and that we don't have to fly west to west to play them

We still travel to Adelaide, Brissy and Canberra though. Pretty unusual for a Victorian team to travel every second week.

Hey Mods, I reckon the women deserve to have separate threads for Preview, Autopsy and MVP for each game - just like the blokes. Easier to follow for inter-staters like me with very little 'other' media coverage. And besides, it's not like there's a deluge of other quality threads being generated this time of year.

I think general discussion is okay being contained, there's still only 14 pages of it in here and most of that was gameday.

A separate MVP thread seems like a sensible idea, though. (I say this as someone who never gets involved with MVP voting because it's hard to make decisions)

We still travel to Adelaide, Brissy and Canberra though. Pretty unusual for a Victorian team to travel every second week.

I think general discussion is okay being contained, there's still only 14 pages of it in here and most of that was gameday.

A separate MVP thread seems like a sensible idea, though. (I say this as someone who never gets involved with MVP voting because it's hard to make decisions)

I loves me some MVP votin' - happy to keep the votes contained in a weekly all-purpose (i.e. preview/review/MVP) thread, but Landgraft get amongst it with the votes; I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that cast any, and the cursed_cat medal just doesn't have a very good ring to it.

cats_09, winty, Boxhead_31, Hello Kitty - anyone - can I tempt you into vote submissions to get a low-key board MVP (or should that be mvp?) happening? I'd be happy to tally up at the end of the season..

I loves me some MVP votin' - happy to keep the votes contained in a weekly all-purpose (i.e. preview/review/MVP) thread, but Landgraft get amongst it with the votes; I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that cast any, and the cursed_cat medal just doesn't have a very good ring to it.

There isn't a separate MVP thread at present, correct? I think that is a key to actually getting people to participate rather than letting the general discussions wash over it.

If we can get that thread going then I'll take a stab at some votes.

I'll start an MVP thread - did we want a new thread each week, or just update the title and keep all the votes together in one thread.

If we do the latter, we'll make the rule of no voting once the next match starts and can have a post between the end of one rounds voting before the start of the next to ease confusion

Was this ever in doubt:

TWO CLASSY midfielders, Geelong's Nina Morrison (pictured above, centre) and Greater Western Sydney's Alyce Parker, are the first NAB AFL Women's Rising Star nominees for round one.

Morrison, the No.1 pick in the 2018 NAB AFLW Draft, looked extremely comfortable at the top level, leading the disposal count in Geelong's one-point win over Collingwood with 22 touches.
The 18-year-old was the toast of Geelong on Saturday night, kicking what turned out to be the match-winning behind.
Her running power was impressive, but Morrison was also strong around contests, with 14 contested possessions, eight tackles and six clearances.

And congrats to Parker for also picking up a nomination

https://womens.afl/news/16102/cat-and-giant-win-round-one-rising-star-nominations

I'll start an MVP thread - did we want a new thread each week, or just update the title and keep all the votes together in one thread.

If we do the latter, we'll make the rule of no voting once the next match starts and can have a post between the end of one rounds voting before the start of the next to ease confusion
I would personally think a single thread with a post to serve as the cut-off for a previous round/start of a current one.

And now I have to settle on five names I guess

cats_09, winty, Boxhead_31, Hello Kitty - anyone - can I tempt you into vote submissions to get a low-key board MVP (or should that be mvp?) happening? I'd be happy to tally up at the end of the season..
Yes, for sure, happy to be involved in MVP voting, is there a link yet? Or in the Preview thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back