Preview: Morningside v Northern Territory (3pm, Aami Stadium, Mar 26th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
FoxtelCup-thm.jpg
Preview: Morningside Panthers v Northern Territory Thunder
Morningside_logo.png
V
NTThunderlogo.jpg

Venue: Aami Stadium, Adelaide
Date: Saturday, March 26th
Time: 3.05pm (curtain-raiser to Adelaide v hawthorn)
Coverage:
foxsports.png
5pm (2 hour delay)

This opening Foxtel Cup match was originally supposed to be the Curtain raiser at the Gabba, but the AFL elected just does out to move the game to Aami Stadium to give the Gabba maximum time to recover from the cricket season, and who are we to argue with the AFL over a measly 2 hours worth of surface recovery time.

The venue change has forced a change in travel plans for both clubs, just 4 days before their match was due to take place. Notification was apparently issued by the league via media release on Monday evening.

The match throws up one of the quirks of the draw, in that the Thunder were selected as the NT representatives, and as such make a 3rd team from the QAFL, given the Northern league equal representation with the more traditional Australian football strongholds in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL. This will be one of the few matches where two teams from the one league play each other in the preliminary stages.

Morningside Panthers and the Northern Territory Thunder are foes from the Queensland Australian Football League (now the NEAFL), and so have met several times previously. They will also clash in this years newly formed NEAFL competition.

The Territory have done exceptionally well at home, going almost undefeated at TIO Stadium in 8 matches, but only winning one match away, at Alice Springs, against this weekends oponent. The Thunder will however, be greatly strengthened with the inclusion of dual Crows premiership player, and multi-all Australian, Andrew Mcleod.

Morningside are a QAFL powerhouse, trading premierships with the big boys in Southport and Labrador frequently over the last 20-30 years. They won the QAFL premiership in 2010, and thus are the top ranked contender from Queensland for the Foxtel Cup.

Given the inability of the Territory to win away from TIO Stadium, even with the experience and panache of Andrew Mcleod in the Thunder lineup, I expect Morningside to carry the day in what should be a very close match at the neutral venue.

The match itself will hold some interest for the early comers to the Adelaide-Hawthorn match, due to the inclusion of Mcleod. As such this promises to be one of the more enthusiastic crowds that a Foxtel Cup will be played before.

Head to Head

Morningside 3, NT Thunder 1

2010 QAFL Round 13 - Thunder by 16 points (darwin)
2010 QAFL Round 3 - Morningside by 23 points (alice springs)
2009 QAFL Round 16 - Morningside by 53 points (darwin)
2009 QAFL Round 10 - Morningside by 21 points (cairns)

Introduction to The teams

Morningside Panthers

Morningside AFC Panthers is more than 50 years old and is based out of Jack Esplen Oval in Hawthorne, Brisbane. It operates both seniors and juniors.

Morningside is one of Queenslands most successfull Australian football clubs, and the breeding place of several AFL class players including Micheal Voss (Brisbane), Mal Micheal (Brisbane/Essendon), Brett Voss (Brisbane/St Kilda), Scott Harding (Brisbane) and Tony Lynn (Carlton). Morningside are coached by former VFL Footballer John Blair (Sth Melbourne/Fitzroy/St Kilda)

In 2010, Morningside finished 3rd in the QAFL with 13 wins and 5 losses. They went on to win the QAFL premiership by 22 points over Labrador.

Established: 1947
Premierships: 8
Jumper:
120px-St_Kilda_Saints_Jumper.svg.png

Team Lineup
It should be noted this is in fact the Grand Final lineup from 2010 and some changes have no doubt been made.

J. PriceB. ConnellN. Tomlinson
D. BonneyB. GibsonM. Kimball
S. BrownP. SheltonH. Wilson
M. Logan A. LucyS. Faure
R. HolmanK. AbeyT. Upton
J Gough
D Lillico
M Rootsey

Northern Territory Thunder

The Northern Terriotry Thunder were formed in 2008, after some years of debating just which league to put a Territory team in. With the AFLs help, the team competes in the Queensland Australian Football league, and is based out of TIO Stadium in Darwin and Traeger Park in Alice Springs.

In 2010, the Thunder finished 5th in the QAFL with 10 wins and 8 losses. The Thunder made the QAFL finals, losing to Mt Gravatt. The team has had some issues winning away from Darwin, where they were undefeated last season, and is likely to be one of the weaker sides in the Foxtel Cup.

The Northern Territory have recruited former Crows two time premiership player, Andrew Mcleod to play with them through the Foxtel Cup Campaign. The Territory are coached by former AFL player Micheal Mclean (Footscray/Brisbane)

Established: 2008
Premierships: 0
Jumpers:
RTEmagicC_NTFC_home_guernsey_edit.jpg.jpg

Clash Jumper

RTEmagicC_NTFC_clash_guernsey_edit.jpg.jpg

The Lineup (from)

#? Andrew Mcleod
#1 Aaron Motlop
#2 Darren Ewing
#3 Matthew Argus
#4 Iggy Vallejo
#6 Jarred Ilett
#8 Kenrick Tyrell
#9 Karl Lohde
#10 Charlie Maher
#11 Shaun Tapp
#15 Matthew Rosier
#16 Cameron Ilet
#17 Jake Dignan
#18 Mitchell Taylor
#20 Josh Watson
#21 James Wray
#26 Shaun Wilson
#31 Bradley palipuaminni
#34 Kieran Smith
#36 Josh Chaplin
#37 Jacob Schaper
#40 Gareth Remfrey
#45 Ryan Smith

Please feel free to add anything i may have left out. I didnt think anyone else would bother, and I genuinely wanted to know more about these teams so I found it interesting at least. lol.

FoxtelCup-thm.jpg
Preview: Morningside Panthers v Northern Territory Thunder
Morningside_logo.png
V
NTThunderlogo.jpg

Venue: Aami Stadium, Adelaide
Date: Saturday, March 26th
Time: 3.05pm (curtain-raiser to Adelaide v hawthorn)
Coverage:
foxsports.png
5pm (2 hour delay)

This opening Foxtel Cup match was originally supposed to be the Curtain raiser at the Gabba, but the AFL elected just does out to move the game to Aami Stadium to give the Gabba maximum time to recover from the cricket season, and who are we to argue with the AFL over a measly 2 hours worth of surface recovery time.

The venue change has forced a change in travel plans for both clubs, just 4 days before their match was due to take place. Notification was apparently issued by the league via media release on Monday evening.

The match throws up one of the quirks of the draw, in that the Thunder were selected as the NT representatives, and as such make a 3rd team from the QAFL, given the Northern league equal representation with the more traditional Australian football strongholds in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL. This will be one of the few matches where two teams from the one league play each other in the preliminary stages.

Morningside Panthers and the Northern Territory Thunder are foes from the Queensland Australian Football League (now the NEAFL), and so have met several times previously. They will also clash in this years newly formed NEAFL competition.

The Territory have done exceptionally well at home, going almost undefeated at TIO Stadium in 8 matches, but only winning one match away, at Alice Springs, against this weekends oponent. The Thunder will however, be greatly strengthened with the inclusion of dual Crows premiership player, and multi-all Australian, Andrew Mcleod.

Morningside are a QAFL powerhouse, trading premierships with the big boys in Southport and Labrador frequently over the last 20-30 years. They won the QAFL premiership in 2010, and thus are the top ranked contender from Queensland for the Foxtel Cup.

Given the inability of the Territory to win away from TIO Stadium, even with the experience and panache of Andrew Mcleod in the Thunder lineup, I expect Morningside to carry the day in what should be a very close match at the neutral venue.

The match itself will hold some interest for the early comers to the Adelaide-Hawthorn match, due to the inclusion of Mcleod. As such this promises to be one of the more enthusiastic crowds that a Foxtel Cup will be played before.

Head to Head

Morningside 3, NT Thunder 1

2010 QAFL Round 13 - Thunder by 16 points (darwin)
2010 QAFL Round 3 - Morningside by 23 points (alice springs)
2009 QAFL Round 16 - Morningside by 53 points (darwin)
2009 QAFL Round 10 - Morningside by 21 points (cairns)

Introduction to The teams

Morningside Panthers

Morningside AFC Panthers is more than 50 years old and is based out of Jack Esplen Oval in Hawthorne, Brisbane. It operates both seniors and juniors.

Morningside is one of Queenslands most successfull Australian football clubs, and the breeding place of several AFL class players including Micheal Voss (Brisbane), Mal Micheal (Brisbane/Essendon), Brett Voss (Brisbane/St Kilda), Scott Harding (Brisbane) and Tony Lynn (Carlton). Morningside are coached by former VFL Footballer John Blair (Sth Melbourne/Fitzroy/St Kilda)

In 2010, Morningside finished 3rd in the QAFL with 13 wins and 5 losses. They went on to win the QAFL premiership by 22 points over Labrador.

Established: 1947
Premierships: 8
Jumper:
120px-St_Kilda_Saints_Jumper.svg.png

Team Lineup
It should be noted this is in fact the Grand Final lineup from 2010 and some changes have no doubt been made.

J. PriceB. ConnellN. Tomlinson
D. BonneyB. GibsonM. Kimball
S. BrownP. SheltonH. Wilson
M. Logan A. LucyS. Faure
R. HolmanK. AbeyT. Upton
J Gough
D Lillico
M Rootsey

Northern Territory Thunder

The Northern Terriotry Thunder were formed in 2008, after some years of debating just which league to put a Territory team in. With the AFLs help, the team competes in the Queensland Australian Football league, and is based out of TIO Stadium in Darwin and Traeger Park in Alice Springs.

In 2010, the Thunder finished 5th in the QAFL with 10 wins and 8 losses. The Thunder made the QAFL finals, losing to Mt Gravatt. The team has had some issues winning away from Darwin, where they were undefeated last season, and is likely to be one of the weaker sides in the Foxtel Cup.

The Northern Territory have recruited former Crows two time premiership player, Andrew Mcleod to play with them through the Foxtel Cup Campaign. The Territory are coached by former AFL player Micheal Mclean (Footscray/Brisbane)

Established: 2008
Premierships: 0
Jumpers:
RTEmagicC_NTFC_home_guernsey_edit.jpg.jpg

Clash Jumper

RTEmagicC_NTFC_clash_guernsey_edit.jpg.jpg

The Lineup (from)

#? Andrew Mcleod
#1 Aaron Motlop
#2 Darren Ewing
#3 Matthew Argus
#4 Iggy Vallejo
#6 Jarred Ilett
#8 Kenrick Tyrell
#9 Karl Lohde
#10 Charlie Maher
#11 Shaun Tapp
#15 Matthew Rosier
#16 Cameron Ilet
#17 Jake Dignan
#18 Mitchell Taylor
#20 Josh Watson
#21 James Wray
#26 Shaun Wilson
#31 Bradley palipuaminni
#34 Kieran Smith
#36 Josh Chaplin
#37 Jacob Schaper
#40 Gareth Remfrey
#45 Ryan Smith

Please feel free to add anything i may have left out. I didnt think anyone else would bother, and I genuinely wanted to know more about these teams so I found it interesting at least. lol.

Good job, just one thing.

Good form on the preview anyway. Morningside comfortably for mine, and IMO Morningside will be the best side outside the traditional states VFL,SANFL and WAFL.

I think they'll be the surprise packet against the SANFL and WAFL sides. I mean, these sides play AFL reserves sides - well Brisbane at least last year - and win, so playing a southern state league side with the odd AFL player wont phase them much. I think the queensland sides are heavily under-rated, especially in SA.

I think they'll be the surprise packet against the SANFL and WAFL sides. I mean, these sides play AFL reserves sides - well Brisbane at least last year - and win, so playing a southern state league side with the odd AFL player wont phase them much. I think the queensland sides are heavily under-rated, especially in SA.

I agree, and your observations from afar are very astute. The Lions ressies do have some restrictions but the standard has improved enormously over the last 5 years.

Queenslander by birth and i hate the cocky attitude the sa guys are taking. Its utterly disrespectful to the rest of the country. I think Queensland football in general has been ignored for far too long, and yet this is the same state that gave us the likes of Jason Dunstall, Micheal Voss, Nick Riewoldt and so many others. Queenslanders also make up 1/3rd of the Suns playing list which is friggin brilliant in my opinion.

Good to see the shackles come off the Lions and Suns ressies in NEAFL matches v Sydney ressies and GWS too.

So wait, Morningside are good because they could beat BRISBANE's reserves side?

I'd be more worried about Ainslie, who have proven they can beat Sydney's reserves side.

NT Thunder to win, on the back of McLeod destroying the crap out of the Morningside midfield.

No Mornigside are good because they are the premiers, and consistent performers and they'll win because the NT cant win outside of Darwin :p The NT are in this solely for NT representation not as one of the top two or three QAFL sides,.

And I think Ainslie are going to be severely underrated as well. Those WA/SA/Vic clubs are in for a shock. Anyone who thinks its a cakewalk for the SANFL or WAFL teams has something else coming.

Queenslander by birth and i hate the cocky attitude the sa guys are taking. Its utterly disrespectful to the rest of the country. I think Queensland football in general has been ignored for far too long, and yet this is the same state that gave us the likes of Jason Dunstall, Micheal Voss, Nick Riewoldt and so many others. Queenslanders also make up 1/3rd of the Suns playing list which is friggin brilliant in my opinion.

Good to see the shackles come off the Lions and Suns ressies in NEAFL matches v Sydney ressies and GWS too.

As a Tasmanian by birth I would like to point out that Nick Reiwoldt was born & bred in Tasmania. Many of his family are still involved in local football here. Without doubt Tasmanian football has been short changed by the AFL, Far more than Queensland has, by any measure.

If this foxtel comp gets a bit of state footy pride going then great.

As much as I hope you are right Wookie about the likes of Morningside and Ainslie being very competitive (or beating) against the traditional state teams, the likelihood is that the likes of Port Adelaide and West Adelaide will be too strong and win convincingly. Maybe not the flogging some expect.

Will be interesting for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NT Thunder side is capable of so so much more than it has shown. Some very good players in that side, backed with a few stars with AFL experience such as McLeod. Moringside are however a strong and disciplined side and certainly not underated by me, despite coming from SA and being an avid Centrals fan so be careful with what you throw around in here. I have no doubt they could beat the weaker SANFL sides when on song.

If Thunder gel they could win but for now I will tip Morningside by about 20 points.

The winner of the Morningside-NT Thunder game will meet the winner of the East Perth v North Ballarat match in the quarter finals. Either East Perth or North Ballarat would be best advised not to take either Morningside or NT Thunder lightly, because a rude shock could await them.

what do you reckon foxtel would see as a "pass" mark Wookie?
The big teams from VIC, WA and SA should get more.

i suspect that is a High Distinction. Fox would be delirious. one team from a tiny market and another from a RL state. the next game might get close to 50000. if it does, they'll be rolling around in glee.

83 Live: Super Rugby: Stormers V Force Fox Sports 1 25,000
71 Live: Rugby League: Toyota Cup Fox Sports 2 26,000
74 Live: Football: EPL Sunderland V Liverpool Fox Sports 2 26,000

and not so far short of
35 Live: Super Rugby: Chiefs V Blues Fox Sports 3 41,000
37 Live: Cricket: ICC World Cup: Ind V Wi Fox Sports 3 38,000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back