AFLW Richmond v Fremantle January, 22 5.10pm Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

1642740367873.png
FORM

Tigers were competitive against the Demons last week going down by 16 points at the Swinburne Centre. Truth is that they had the better of Melbourne for three quarters and only a poor second quarter where they conceded 5 goals while not troubling the scoreboard attendants themselves cost them the game. For Richmond, the quartet of Conti, Brennan, Lavey and Seymour continued their outstanding start to their seasons with brilliant footy and long may it continue. The game plan looks sound and one of the most pleasing aspects to this year is, despite last week's second quarter, we are finding different avenues to goal which is resulting in bigger scores being kicked than in the past. If you can at least manage to get goals on the board you will be in more games than not.

An early favourite to take out the premiership in 2021 before a late slump thwarted their chances, the news that the mercurial forward Sabrina Duffy would sit out the 2022 season and Roxy Roux's absence so far was not exactly what Dockers fans were expecting. However, Fremantle have two wins in the bank against West Coast in round 1 and Giants in round 2. Their form has been patchy winning both games in short purple patches of each match. They can probably get away with this against teams who probably won't figure at the business end of the season but the Tigers are clearly an improved unit and if the Tigers are on, one quarter of good Freo footy is just not going to cut it in my opinion. Clearly Bowers and Miller have been the standouts in the first two rounds with Haughton and Ebony Antonio looking dangerous forward.

THE TEAM

Get out the dart board. Whilst we know that Wakefield, McKenzie and Kelly are outs with medium term injuries, it's that dreaded "injury" called "AFL Health and Safety Protocol" that can strike at short notice and has the potential to strip any team of any player. Who can predict it? So we will just ignore and see what impact it has when the teams are released.

Hopefully D'Arcy, Shevlin and Stahl return this week. Yassir and Molan are also a chance to come back into the team. So that's possibly 5 changes (unless we see more H & S Protocol omissions). Will Lavey play? Bendigo Spirit play Friday at 5pm. Is an AFLW match 24 hours after a WNBL game realistic? We will see. She stays in my side for now.

I think its possible that D'Arcy may end up forward so Lynch stays and McClelland stays as a ruck option for Seymour. We really have no other choice.

I heard someone mention why doesn't Miller get used as a ruck with her being 185cm? Well does Dylan Grimes get thrown in the ruck? Same thing. Someone will break them. No, Miller stays back for mine.

The two unlucky outs this week may be Dargan and Burchell. Dargan played her best game but I left her out as I think better options can come back in. Burchell is tough to leave out and it's an omission that I'm not all that comfortable with but for all of her good work last week some of the errors resulting in turnovers were costly.

Seymour and Jacques just didn't do enough and Macdonald is just a last in first out type of thing. I think she will have more to contribute as the season goes on. She just need a touch more time on the track.

RICHMOND

B: R.Miller 15 H.Cordner 23
HB: B.Lynch 32 J.Hosking 111 M.Shevlin 35
C: T.Lavey 37 S.Hosking 7 K.Dempsey 19
HF: M.Brancatisano 5 T.Stahl 24
F: K.Brennan - C 3 S.D'Arcy 12
Foll: G.Seymour 28 M.Kiely 31 M.Conti 4
I/C: E.Yassir 27 C.Bernardi 9 S.Reid 25 McClelland 16

Emerg: K.Jacques 10 M.Macdonald 38

IN: D'Arcy, Shevlin, Stahl, Yassir, Molan

OUT: Jacques, Dargan, Macdonald, Sansonetti, Burchell

PREDICTION

Might be accused of bias hear as I'm picking the Tigers by 11. However, even if I took off my Tiger goggles I would still go Tigers just on form. If you line up the two games each team has played I think the Tigers have played the better footy and I can't discount the fact that Richmond played St Kilda and a quality Melbourne outfit at near full strength while Freo played lesser ranked teams.

D'Arcy will be a really important player (if she plays). Was our best player when we were so so in that first quarter against the Saints and has rarely put a foot wrong as a Tiger in our backline. If Miller is our Grimes, D'Arcy is our Vlastuin. As I mentioned, don't be surprised if she swings forward.

Nothing surer though, we need to be really switched on to get our season back on track. Can't be jumped at the start and we need to be ready to stifle Freo's "purple patch" moments.

Last edited:

Who wins R3? Our AFLW experts help find you a winner​

RILEY BEVERIDGE​

Collingwood – 31 points
Adelaide
Melbourne
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Brisbane

Last week: 5
Total: 12

LIBBY BIRCH​

Collingwood – 19 points
Adelaide
Melbourne
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Carlton

Last week: 6

NAT EDWARDS​

Collingwood - 17 points
Adelaide
Melbourne
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Brisbane

NATHAN SCHMOOK​

Collingwood - 14 points
Adelaide
Melbourne
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Brisbane

LUCY WATKIN​

Collingwood - 12 points
Adelaide
Melbourne
Richmond
North Melbourne
Carlton

GEMMA BASTIANI​

Collingwood - 20 points
Adelaide
Melbourne
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Brisbane

Total: 11

SARAH BLACK​

Collingwood – 21 points
Adelaide
Melbourne
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Brisbane

SARAH BURT​

Collingwood – 26 points
Adelaide
Melbourne
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Brisbane

Official teams

RICHMOND

HB: S.D'Arcy 12 J.Hosking 11 M.Shevlin 35
C: H.Burchell 9 S.Hosking 7 K.Dempsey 19
HF: S.Reid 25 E.Yassir 27 T.Stahl 24
F: K.Brennan - C 3 C.Bernardi 6
Foll: G.Seymour 28 M.Brancatisano 5 M.Conti 4
I/C: L.McClelland 16 B.Lynch 32 M.Kiely 31 S.Molan 1 K.Jacques 10

Emerg: S.Dargan 17 M.Macdonald 38

In: S.D'Arcy, M.Shevlin, E.Yassir, T.Stahl, S.Molan
Out: M.Macdonald (Omitted), S.Sansonetti (Omitted), S.Dargan (Omitted), C.Wakefield (Shoulder), T.Lavey (HS Protocol)

FREMANTLE

B: M.Sergeant 23 A.Stannett 4
HB: L.Pugh 32 E.O'Driscoll 3 J.Low 30
C: E.Antonio 12 G.O'Sullivan 9 S.Cain 20
HF: A.Runnalls 22 K.Bowers 2 K.Antonio 15
F: G.Houghton 27 M.Tuhakaraina 13
Foll: M.Strom 21 H.Miller - C 19 D.East 8
I/C: R.Roux 17 T.Toth 33 M.Hyde 28 S.Verrier 5 A.Tighe 10

Emerg: A.McMahon 25 J.Stewart 7

In: K.Antonio, R.Roux
Out: J.Cuthbertson (Concussion), A.McMahon (Managed)

Fremantle played West Coast and GWS, who are not great sides.

However, Fremantle is still in the top echelon teams of the competition IMO. I don’t feel like the game’s out of reach like the Melbourne game was, but their midfield will probably be tough for us.

Aren’t they missing Sabreena Duffy though? Their forward line is still working well without her it seems.

Official teams

RICHMOND

HB: S.D'Arcy 12 J.Hosking 11 M.Shevlin 35
C: H.Burchell 9 S.Hosking 7 K.Dempsey 19
HF: S.Reid 25 E.Yassir 27 T.Stahl 24
F: K.Brennan - C 3 C.Bernardi 6
Foll: G.Seymour 28 M.Brancatisano 5 M.Conti 4
I/C: L.McClelland 16 B.Lynch 32 M.Kiely 31 S.Molan 1 K.Jacques 10

Emerg: S.Dargan 17 M.Macdonald 38

In: S.D'Arcy, M.Shevlin, E.Yassir, T.Stahl, S.Molan
Out: M.Macdonald (Omitted), S.Sansonetti (Omitted), S.Dargan (Omitted), C.Wakefield (Shoulder), T.Lavey (HS Protocol)

FREMANTLE

B: M.Sergeant 23 A.Stannett 4
HB: L.Pugh 32 E.O'Driscoll 3 J.Low 30
C: E.Antonio 12 G.O'Sullivan 9 S.Cain 20
HF: A.Runnalls 22 K.Bowers 2 K.Antonio 15
F: G.Houghton 27 M.Tuhakaraina 13
Foll: M.Strom 21 H.Miller - C 19 D.East 8
I/C: R.Roux 17 T.Toth 33 M.Hyde 28 S.Verrier 5 A.Tighe 10

Emerg: A.McMahon 25 J.Stewart 7

In: K.Antonio, R.Roux
Out: J.Cuthbertson (Concussion), A.McMahon (Managed)
Lavey and Wakefield? Ah man :(

Glad that D’Arcy, Yassir, and Stahl are back though

We’ll miss Lavey no doubt but having a couple of bigger bodies come in will be good.
Jacques will be better from last week, she’s got some wheels.
I’m pretty sure Freo have won 21 from their last 27 so it’s a quality team we’re up against.
Hope the girls just keep taking the game on like they finished last week.
Go Tiges!!

We’ll miss Lavey no doubt but having a couple of bigger bodies come in will be good.
Jacques will be better from last week, she’s got some wheels.
I’m pretty sure Freo have won 21 from their last 27 so it’s a quality team we’re up against.
Hope the girls just keep taking the game on like they finished last week.
Go Tiges!!

Are you thinking of someone else Cdog?

I reckon Jacques lacks a yard.

Fremantle played West Coast and GWS, who are not great sides.

However, Fremantle is still in the top echelon teams of the competition IMO. I don’t feel like the game’s out of reach like the Melbourne game was, but their midfield will probably be tough for us.

Aren’t they missing Sabreena Duffy though? Their forward line is still working well without her it seems.

Duffy is taking a year out but Roxy Roux is back this week.

Need to keep forwards Haughton, Antonio and Bowers in check and don’t let their mids get easy kicks.

Are you thinking of someone else Cdog?

I reckon Jacques lacks a yard.
Pretty sure it was Jacques HFF last week didn’t get much of it…might be wrong, sounds like it but thought first few steps were pretty good.

Pretty sure it was Jacques HFF last week didn’t get much of it…might be wrong, sounds like it but thought first few steps were pretty good.

She had a pretty sharp early few minutes in the 1st quarter and then went missing i thought - correct about her first few steps, helped Conti get her's and thought she had a couple of sharp football involvements - looked a footballer in those minutes but went underground after that. Hope she reviewed that through the week on repeat!

Watching Coll v Geel - very willing game - so glad we let Sabrina Fredrick go - doing the same ol stuff - such a positive loss!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game day! Fremantle likely not going back to Perth this season, missing key players, playing away at Punt Rd etc.

Hopefully circumstances + our significant improvement so far results in us beating our first foundation club today. C'mon Tigers! Any win will do for me

With the exception of Duffy not sure anyone missing for Freo today would impact them greatly unless there is a late out. The return of Antonio and Roux strengthens their line up.

Temp tipped to be at its hottest at 34 when the game starts.

That can’t be too far away from the extreme heat policy.

Forecast for 31 when the earlier game between Eagles and Crows starts at 12pm

With the exception of Duffy not sure anyone missing for Freo today would impact them greatly unless there is a late out. The return of Antonio and Roux strengthens their line up.

Temp tipped to be at its hottest at 34 when the game starts.

That can’t be too far away from the extreme heat policy.

Forecast for 31 when the earlier game between Eagles and Crows starts at 12pm
Wow that’s hot! Fremantle would probably be more accustomed to the extreme heat IMO. My weather app states that it expects the cooling to start at around 5pm, which is when the game starts. So it might get colder after half time

Game day! Fremantle likely not going back to Perth this season, missing key players, playing away at Punt Rd etc.

Hopefully circumstances + our significant improvement so far results in us beating our first foundation club today. C'mon Tigers! Any win will do for me

Article by Sarah Black on Fremantle posted today.

I’ll just post the link. Talks about Freo’s form and players. Relevant to todays game.

Can the Dockers continue to thrive with uncertain times ahead?
https://womens.afl/news/81273

Remove this Banner Ad

Back