AFLW Richmond v Fremantle January, 22 5.10pm Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

To score so well against that torrent of statistical domination reflects very well on our ball movement, which seems to me to be the area that has improved massively this season.

But what are comparing it to, to say it’s a good amount of scoring..?
Last year?
Losing scores?

We haven’t had more than 12 shots on goal in any game this year.
It’s not enough to compete against the fancied teams.

It is better than last year but most teams are better than last year.
I’m not pushing back on ya MR I’m just looking forward to us scoring more from stoppages and through the midfield and a little pissy at the injuries to players.

10 games..geez, everything has to go right.

Last year?
Losing scores?

I’m not pushing back on ya MR I’m just looking forward to us scoring more from stoppages and through the midfield and a little pissy at the injuries to players.

well they had

1) nearly double clearances 29 to 16

2) more than double I50 46 to 20 (near Freo's all time AFLW record 48 x I50's)

3) triple marks I50 9 to 3

4) they scored 47% from I50, we scored 60%

looking at the game & stats, we should of been destroyed by 50+ points,

like they did to GCS in 2020 Semi Final (48 x I50's, Fremantle 12.8 80 V GCS 1.4 10 = 70 points)

and we lost our best defender at the start of the 2nd Q

but we lost by 30 points :), and it was the highest scoring match ever in the AFLW (scores combined) 18.16 (124)

i think that's the point Meteoric Rise is making, we had a red hot crack for 3 1/2 Q's against a very good team

Last edited:

i think that's the point Meteoric Rise is making, we had a red hot crack for 3 1/2 Q's against a very good team
I agree and although Darcy marked and goaled we were down a marking fwd and we’re down a Ruck so it was hard to find a marking option to get out of our D50 but we had moments we did and managed fwd transition.

But theres no getting around the fact that the amount of shots on goal the oppo gets from free kicks this season is poor footy.
The amount of times they ran out of the front of the stoppage during the game was poor.
Mclelland, it wasnt rough play in a contest. It was outside of the rules trying to intimidate.
“If you arent good enough to play in the rules you can sit down and watch.”
Thats whats happened. You make your decision not to do that sortve sh.t before you step onto the ground.
Too emotional.

Lynch panic’s gets pinged gets emotional and gives away a shot on goal.
That isnt at standard.
It would be pretty damning to see how many goals we’ve conceded through free kicks and put that against losing margins.

Too many moments where we are unprofessional that has too big an impact on the game.
That is about effort.

I agree and although Darcy marked and goaled we were down a marking fwd and we’re down a Ruck so it was hard to find a marking option to get out of our D50 but we had moments we did and managed fwd transition.

But theres no getting around the fact that the amount of shots on goal the oppo gets from free kicks this season is poor footy.
The amount of times they ran out of the front of the stoppage during the game was poor.
Mclelland, it wasnt rough play in a contest. It was outside of the rules trying to intimidate.
“If you arent good enough to play in the rules you can sit down and watch.”
Thats whats happened. You make your decision not to do that sortve sh.t before you step onto the ground.
Too emotional.

Lynch panic’s gets pinged gets emotional and gives away a shot on goal.
That isnt at standard.
It would be pretty damning to see how many goals we’ve conceded through free kicks and put that against losing margins.

Too many moments where we are unprofessional that has too big an impact on the game.
That is about effort.

yep couldn't agree more

way too much stupid ill discipline acts that cost us goals, free kicks in bad places, 50 metre penalties

seems like the same usual suspects doing these things, McLelland & Lynch being the main, but not the only ones

it's not good enough being stupid aggressive, sling tackles, giving silly frees down field, costing us 2-3 goals/game

it's not the umpires fault, our frees are so blatantly obvious, how can they not award a free against us?

what's the technique of dragging the ball in & throwing the arms in the air, looking at the umpire, it's a HTB every day of the week

we have too many players that panic under pressure, unfortunately this is our biggest problem

yep couldn't agree more

way too much stupid ill discipline acts that cost us goals, free kicks in bad places, 50 metre penalties

seems like the same usual suspects doing these things, McLelland & Lynch being the main, but not the only ones

it's not good enough being stupid aggressive, sling tackles, giving silly frees down field, costing us 2-3 goals/game

it's not the umpires fault, our frees are so blatantly obvious, how can they not award a free against us?

what's the technique of dragging the ball in & throwing the arms in the air, looking at the umpire, it's a HTB every day of the week

we have too many players that panic under pressure, unfortunately this is our biggest problem

I think the issues both Cdog71 and yourself have outlined are obvious, but they are fixable. And knowing our club as we do, you would bet the issues will be fixed, players will learn.

As frustrating as it was to watch at times due the the lack of craft in contests, I support the overall notion of facing a hardened, experienced quality physical team and making them earn it. To me it is all just part of the team’s development, and you can refine your approach along the way, but there is plenty of time for that when we are actually contending, which will be next year at the earliest. For now it is enough to convince ourselves and the most physical opponents we are not interested in just being pushed around according to their pleasure. Something is coming back their way. With that aspect of the game, like any other, you will usually get it wrong before you ever get it right, and we are seeing this at present.

I find it reassuring overall watching because the areas of improvement v the best teams are fairly easily identifiable and fixable. We won’t be contending this year so the team isn’t playing at high stakes for now. We can afford to try different things, we are still expanding the repertoire. I’ve got no problem with getting some things wrong whilst in that mode.

Cleo Saxon-Joes was a long way off AFLW standard. Not entirely her fault, missed lots of footy due to injury.
I'd still do the Sabs trade now even with our injury setbacks. She is struggling and we have Shevlin, Yassir and Kiely on our list because of that trade. We will win that trade bigtime.
In terms of Edmonds sure we could have tried to keep her but how many rucks do you keep on a playing list of 30? I still don't think we would have picked her in the team anyway. There are only a few rucks of real quality in AFLW.

Might have to throw Akec in the middle to give Gabby a chop out this week. I suspect Gabby will ruck at least 90% of the time.

Looks how that might play out - Akec into the Ruck when Gabs needs a spell. Has a very good leap but her timing can be a bit suspect.

Edmond's played against Melbourne and while she was just serviceable, she would have been good insurance if we had any knowledge at all that Poppy had any injury gremlins in her past. We didn't need StKilda to tell us - Poppy could/would just as easily have indicated where her physical health challenges might be - they have interviews. Water under the bridge now - we need to find a valid top up and fast.

I think the issues both Cdog71 and yourself have outlined are obvious, but they are fixable. And knowing our club as we do, you would bet the issues will be fixed, players will learn.

As frustrating as it was to watch at times due the the lack of craft in contests, I support the overall notion of facing a hardened, experienced quality physical team and making them earn it. To me it is all just part of the team’s development, and you can refine your approach along the way, but there is plenty of time for that when we are actually contending, which will be next year at the earliest. For now it is enough to convince ourselves and the most physical opponents we are not interested in just being pushed around according to their pleasure. Something is coming back their way. With that aspect of the game, like any other, you will usually get it wrong before you ever get it right, and we are seeing this at present.

I find it reassuring overall watching because the areas of improvement v the best teams are fairly easily identifiable and fixable. We won’t be contending this year so the team isn’t playing at high stakes for now. We can afford to try different things, we are still expanding the repertoire. I’ve got no problem with getting some things wrong whilst in that mode.

Nailed it as usual MR. I really didn't have that big a problem with McLelland and anyone else who went a bit harder in that game. I can imagine at half time Ferg saying to Laura, "you are one our bigger girls out there at the moment, you are no longer a recruit, this is the time to stand up a bit more and assert your physical presence in the game - no better game to do it" She really went much more physical after half time, and I think the other girls saw that. OK, that front on body to the head was unfortunate and maybe it does earn a week at a time it hurts a little more, but I thought her 3rd quarter was commendable.

You want to see AFLW tough at a contest - check out Geelong (I know that sounds an oxymoron) - they are making no apologies about being harder at the contest and it is working for them. We have to do likewise with cattle we have. Every time someone is interviewed that are saying we crack in - it carries risks, but it also earns respect and second glances and half steps. Work in progress!

Last edited:
I don’t think of us as a great contested side.

They had 35 more possesions
13 more clearances
and they laid 17 more tackles.

Mclelland took another two steps after the ball was released and had to reach with her leg to make contact.
“Magoos”stuff”
I bet every team in the future will be up for stirring the pot with both those girls now.

I want the team to be hard to play against and be a threat to score but the girls are playing at the highest level possible, you just have to hold your cool.

I do think we are playing well this year all things considered, we just don’t have the cattle.
I’m wondering now if we’ll play more of the new recruits or try and hide players from the expansion teams we’ve still got seven games.

13 more clearances

Mclelland took another two steps after the ball was released and had to reach with her leg to make contact.
“Magoos”stuff”
I bet every team in the future will be up for stirring the pot with both those girls now.

I want the team to be hard to play against and be a threat to score but the girls are playing at the highest level possible, you just have to hold your cool.

I do think we are playing well this year all things considered, we just don’t have the cattle.
I’m wondering now if we’ll play more of the new recruits or try and hide players from the expansion teams we’ve still got seven games.

probably not against the top 6 sides, but we hold our own against everybody else

i agree but we're getting there slowly, our scores this year is a huge improvement, we're averaging 49 points/game (36 points/game last year)
we'll turn over 4-6 more players at the end of this season & replace them with better players

try and hide players from the expansion teams

Hawks & Dons can raid 32 players (16 each) from Vic sides

i think the top 4 Vic sides (Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne & probably Carlton would be worried more than say Tigers, Bulldogs, Cats & Saints

we wont lose ANYONE we want to keep, take it to the bank, bookmark it

this years U/18 girls are better again, than last years U/18 draftees

we don't need to worry :) Brennan, Conti, Hosking twins, D'Arcy, Kelly, Miller, McKenzie, Cordner, Seymour, Shevlin & Lavey are here to stay
all the rest bar Molan, Brancatisano, Dempsey, Wakefield, Reid, Yassir, Kiely & Houtsma are expendable

Last edited:
Last year?
Losing scores?

probably not against the top 6 sides, but we hold our own against everybody else

i agree but we're getting there slowly, our scores this year is a huge improvement, we're averaging 49 points/game (36 points/game last year)
we'll turn over 4-6 more players at the end of this season & replace them with better players

try and hide players from the expansion teams

Hawks & Dons can raid 32 players (16 each) from Vic sides

i think the top 4 Vic sides (Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne & probably Carlton would be worried more than say Tigers, Bulldogs, Cats & Saints

this years U/18 girls are better again, than last years U/18 draftees

we don't need to worry :) Brennan, Conti, Hosking twins, D'Arcy, Kelly, Miller, McKenzie, Cordner, Seymour, Shevlin & Lavey are here to stay
all the rest bar Molan, Brancatisano, Dempsey, Wakefield, Reid, Yassir, Kiely & Houtsma are expendable
About only one of that lot that would attract interest would be branc, molan May well be delisted unless she shows stark imProvement on what she dished up

Thatd be good but there will be four new clubs sourcing different Tier players and potentially new Pay structure with the new CBA at the end of this season.
Some offers might too good, its only a six month contract.
Also those teams get the first 16 from the draft I think and then the last four of every round so in terms of us bringing in new talent with 6 new players, thats a bit up in the air.

We’ll just have to see how it will all play out.

13 more clearances

“Magoos”stuff”

Melbourne thought we were and had to lift. We were having crack in - in the Fremantle game and just 10 point down at 3qtr time without Cordner, Wakefield, Lavey, McKenzie - don't think Richmond are near where they want to be as a contested side - it is work in progress though. You are never not one / then suddenly become one. Lessons are learned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thatd be good but there will be four new clubs sourcing different Tier players and potentially new Pay structure with the new CBA at the end of this season.
Some offers might too good, its only a six month contract.
Also those teams get the first 16 from the draft I think and then the last four of every round so in terms of us bringing in new talent with 6 new players, thats a bit up in the air.

We’ll just have to see how it will all play out.

Those Clubs will have seen the path the earlier new Clubs (R, StK, GC, WC) took, and will look at the raft of quality draftees coming through and know that building a quality young list will be the way to go. If we lose say one player we would have liked to keep - that will be about it - 2 will be a worst case scenario - that will OK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back