Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What a win to open the season! The team showed that they are hungry and have belief. These were the cornerstones of 2016 and this promising beginning has an exciting familiarity.

Let's hope the journey continues it's positive course this week against the Hawks. I look forward to people's thoughts throughout the week on how we are going to dismantle this old foe...

Can we? Will we?!

Seems harsh to make changes after that win but if we decide we need to restructure for Ceglas and McEvoy by bringing in Trengove who goes out?

Smith? Maybe but I'm not keen to drop the kid after only 1 game. He'll only get better with more game time.
Perhaps there'll be some random injury. Or Suckling's ankle might not come up in time.

Trengove for English (did ok, but such a clear leak wink it’s not funny) & Lipinski for Smith (needs VFL time to fill the gap)

End result =

Discombobulation

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Stick with the same team. Smith made some mistakes but so did every player. Williams I'm putting down to training as a mid, give him time to readjust to the old role. I thought English looked good. A couple of nice inside 50s that I doubt Trengove would go for.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Smith and Williams out

Two in whoever the MC thinks is next

This is the third game the above two have struggled in so I think a change to at least one is necessary.

Have a crack like we did in the first half and anything is possible

Doggies7

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City
Hawks are pretty small so I doubt another tall defender is brought in. I would still love Young or Roberts (preferably Young) to get a game and allow Bailey Williams to get off the chain a bit and provide some more intercept / run off HBF. He struggled against Sydney, but was forced to play tight and a lot bigger than he is, on a guy like Reid...

Saying that I think if there is a change it will be Lipinski for Bailey Smith. Smith showed some nice signs and would be ok if he stays in, but he will be fine playing a few games in the middle developing at Footscray.

Hawks looked great against the Crows, will be a very tough game.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That game plan worked against Sydney, but as I said in the lead up they were our best fit of any
team in the competition, ditch it against the Hawks because it will not work. Like it or not there
is not a lot to bring in at the moment and quite possibly ever. We simply have to accept that
some weeks that game style will not cut it.

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Best players in VFL: Lipinski (35 touches), Trengove (28 touches, 3 goals), Hayes (28 touches), West (20 touches)

Other possible returns: Johannisen, Lewis Young

Most vulnerable: Suckling (mild ankle soreness), Smith, Crozier, Dureya though I think all four should certainly remain unless JJ recovers unexpectedly.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Falcons, Hawks, Braves
Best players in VFL: Lipinski (35 touches), Trengove (28 touches, 3 goals), Hayes (28 touches), West (20 goals)

Other possible returns: Johannisen, Lewis Young

Most vulnerable: Suckling (mild ankle soreness), Smith, Crozier, Dureya though I think all four should certainly remain unless JJ recovers unexpectedly.

20 goals for West. Bring him in pronto!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That game plan worked against Sydney, but as I said in the lead up they were our best fit of any
team in the competition, ditch it against the Hawks because it will not work. Like it or not there
is not a lot to bring in at the moment and quite possibly ever. We simply have to accept that
some weeks that game style will not cut it.

Can I ask what it is about the game plan/style you think won’t cut it ?

IMO it’s a pretty basic game plan but when executed well it holds up pretty good. The two main keys are midfield dominance and the fwd half zone set up.
Rather than zone up from deep inside 50 we set up higher around 25-30 from goal letting our opponent have the pockets etc. it means that the zone stretches further back to past the centre square. You saw last night that swans were bombing it long outside of our 50 and we were just cutting it off fairly easy resulting in repeat fwd 50 entries. They were finding it hard to hit up a short target. That’ll be the case for most teams if we zone up the same way unless they take the gamble to link up by hands to clear the zone which is probably the way to do it.

I can see the Hawks having an easier time rebounding as they are historically the best short kicking team in the game. But on the flip side they aren’t strong through the midfield so we should have an easier time in their than last night.
Will be a cracking game as we both played high pressure games this round. Hawks lost the midfield battle but smoked the crows in tackles, tackles inside 50 and pressure acts.

doggy heaven

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
mooroolbark
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Smith and Williams out

Two in whoever the MC thinks is next

This is the third game the above two have struggled in so I think a change to at least one is necessary.

Have a crack like we did in the first half and anything is possible

Totally agree
At the game , Williams was diabolical. Swans actually played thru him. Smith just cant what all the raves are about , will be proven wrong l know

Smith and Williams are obvious candidates as they were worst 2 on ground, think 1 makes way, maybe both if JJ is fit. Important game as could setup entire season with GC and Carlton in next few weeks.

SlimShaddy

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo was clear in his presser after the game: 1 ruckman only with some pinch hitting by others (i.e. Schache), English will not get dropped because he played well and he only sees Trengove as a ruckman.

I’m disturbed by this: we have no serviceable key defender depth, limiting Schache’s ability to develop as a forward and not allowing English to rest forward at times - although I guess it depends on the opponents and flow of the game etc.

We will play small defenders most of the year. Would be good to get Lynch and JJ back in asap so Daniel can create on the wings and up forward and ensure that Hunter never delivers into the F50 again.

Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why another key defender can I ask? Our defenders get broken down by the highball when the midfield breaks down. We need to continue pressing in the midfield to protect our back half. We cannot play negatively/reactively. We do not have the personnel to win that position especially with Naughton up front. I thought the personnel attending the centre bounce was all wrong during Sydney's run in the 4th with at stages all of Mclean, Williams and Dickson attending the centre bounce instead of our out and out contested ball winners. That's how Sydney got on top of us and go their momentum going.

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
JJ for Williams if he's fit. No other change
I agree, but I do have concerns over JJ and Caleb in the same backline. Is that too small? I know last night we all thought we were too small and we were okay, but can we afford to go even smaller? Does this mean Caleb plays higher up the ground or do we just stick with midget backline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back