PREVIEW THREAD: Round 2 Vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be hard to back up a 68 inside 50s effort considering our average last year was 51.
If we can find a way to be more efficient in attack we should do well. Schache needs to lead hard to shake Frawley who is slowing down because Sicily will surely go to Naughton.

Tom Liberatore was responsible for 8 inside 50's on his own which goes someway to understanding the increase seen in the i50 count. It also reinforces what a difference he makes to our teams efficiency going i50.

I think you've got the forward 50 matches backwards. I would've thought that Frawley is much better suited to the stay at home contested marking Naughton.

Tom Liberatore was responsible for 8 inside 50's on his own which goes someway to understanding the increase seen in the i50 count. It also reinforces what a difference he makes to our teams efficiency going i50.

I think you've got the forward 50 matches backwards. I would've thought that Frawley is much better suited to the stay at home contested marking Naughton.
Frawley won't be able to go with Naughton on the lead and Sicily is 189cm, what silly coach would go with such a height mismatch in defence...

We need to red jacket Sicily the same way Port did to Gawn last week. Take him out of the game mentally (or physically...) and I reckon we win.

We need to red jacket Sicily the same way Port did to Gawn last week. Take him out of the game mentally (or physically...) and I reckon we win.
What's the bet Hawthorn try that with Naughton? Alir Alir did that in the second half last weekend. Being 19yrs old and a gun player, it wouldn't surprise me if clubs explore that tactic. We need to make sure he's protected

I think we'll bring Trengove in. Hawks ruck is just too big a strength, and McEvoy is one of the smaller ruck types that Jackson can do well against. He'll then follow him to defense and provide support down back.

Out: Dickson
In: Trengove

See if Suckers can get thru this week. We need his run and long kicks on the G.

Gowers to play a defensive role on Sicily as I believe his game was off the charts.

Otherwise we go head to head with their midfield (an win).

What's the bet Hawthorn try that with Naughton? Alir Alir did that in the second half last weekend. Being 19yrs old and a gun player, it wouldn't surprise me if clubs explore that tactic. We need to make sure he's protected
... and if Naughton copes with it, Hawks are screwed.

Does anyone remember Firrito's efforts on the Bont? By the third quarter it was over. Bont smothers Firrito's kick on the boundary, looked at him, laughed and bumped him. Firrito died a little bit inside and no team ever tried to rough up the Bont again.

Good. Hope they both play and can't run and are cooked by half time. We run over the top and win.
Scully can run, he's naturally an elite runner. If Wingard is cooked he parks himself in the F50 where he is absolutely a threat.
We can't afford to take either of them lightly, they're quality players.

Does anyone remember Firrito's efforts on the Bont? By the third quarter it was over. Bont smothers Firrito's kick on the boundary, looked at him, laughed and bumped him. Firrito died a little bit inside and no team ever tried to rough up the Bont again.
One of my favourite footy moments ever.

Same game Bont was clearly best on ground, and if I remember correctly Scott gave him no coaches votes. ******* sook.

Last edited:
Had a good look last night at the replay Hawks vs Crows and they play a very similar game plan to us just without the midfield dominance.
Their pressure around the ground was pretty high forcing crows to try pinpoint passes that were hard to hit. Thats where most of their turnovers came from.
They also had high inside 50 tackles which made it hard for Crows to exit def 50 cleanly giving Hawks a better chance to score.

For most of the game Hawks were able to create an extra in defence, it being Sicily or sometimes Impey, this meant marking options and clean shots on goals hard for the Crows and rebound opportunities more often for the Hawks.

I paused on the replays of the Hawks goals and a lot of the time they had an extra inside their 50 at the time of scoring. I put it down to the lower work rate of the Crows and the the fact the Hawks were running hard between both 50’s. Pretty much they worked harder to create the loose down back and also the other way sometimes creating an extra up fwd.

Another thing I noticed was they often kicked long out of defence clearing the space that Crows can be dangerous in when in possession, around the wings and middle of ground. With the higher work rate by Hawks’ fwds that had pushed up the ground they were able to sometimes outnumber the Crows defence when those long balls hit the ground once they’d pushed back towards their own goal.

For me, the Hawks are well drilled and implement what’s needed to beat the opposition each week.
They play a style similar to us with high work rate and pressure game. They play a team defence with the help of an extra defender at times and they produce scoring opps with fwd 50 pressure/ tackles.

I think we have the advantage with our stronger midfield and the fact we play a far tougher brand of football ( when we’re on ie last week ) than what Hawks played against last week.

It’ll be a tough hit out for both teams and I’m tipping the first team to blink will lose. Just hope it’s not us.

No data, but I thought we kicked long coming out of defence more frequently last week than we did last year. Definitely seemed to handball less at half back and our turnovers weren’t in quite as dangerous proximity to goal.

We did a good job of not conceding marks on the wing last week. That was a huge problem for us last year. Long kicking is no good if you’re not at least halving the resulting marking contest.

It seemed to me we’re happy enough to kick long and force a contest on the wing, at the limits of the oppo zone, and back our mids in to win the ball from a stoppage, rather then attempt to chip and handball through half back as much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my all time favourite footy moments.

I’m racking my brain trying to remember...who was the guy a year or so ago punching Bont’s elbows all game? Bont just laughed but * that looked annoying.

Bevo said we'll go in unchanged this week (pending Suckling training today) in his presser. Unless something happens at training today, he has no reason to lie about that.

Was that the season when North were doing their "target one player per game" shennanigans?

Pretty tough dudes targeting a 21 year old. I got seats right on the wing for that match & at the halftime siren two North players tried to push and shove Bont. He shoved one in the chest, he went backwards, Bont stood over him and he stayed down. A wonderful sight. Cordy came in for a good go too.

No data, but I thought we kicked long coming out of defence more frequently last week than we did last year. Definitely seemed to handball less at half back and our turnovers weren’t in quite as dangerous proximity to goal.

We did a good job of not conceding marks on the wing last week. That was a huge problem for us last year. Long kicking is no good if you’re not at least halving the resulting marking contest.

It seemed to me we’re happy enough to kick long and force a contest on the wing, at the limits of the oppo zone, and back our mids in to win the ball from a stoppage, rather then attempt to chip and handball through half back as much.

Yeah, we did seem to stuff around during transition last year.
Suckling was one who gained metres from half back with long kicks last weekend, Duryea And Bont also.
I agree it’s a good way to clear that danger zone across oppo half fwd line.
Especially when our fwds push hard fwd to create the space.
The thing to keep in mind though is that the Hawks were able to create spares across that spot on the ground last week and they picked off the crows’ long balls. The Crows lacked composure though so hopefully there’s more thought put in to our long balls if we go down that path again.

Just need our mids to do their job again and we’ll definitely be in it.
It’s a real barometer for our team when our mids get on top. The other lines seem to lift.

Wingard probably plays but really can’t see Scully straight back in at AFL level after a very serious injury

The Hawks are masters at getting their players back from injury so could be both that play. But personally i can’t see either play tbh. Wingard only started full training this week and as you said Scully hasn’t played in 12 months.

Pretty tough dudes targeting a 21 year old. I got seats right on the wing for that match & at the halftime siren two North players tried to push and shove Bont. He shoved one in the chest, he went backwards, Bont stood over him and he stayed down. A wonderful sight. Cordy came in for a good go too.
Cordy has a real natural aggression, he loves that stuff. He's our backline Liberatore.

Bulldogs Versus Sydney (Round 4 2018) 7 point loss:

Players 1 to 6- 638
Players 7 to 12- 468
Players 13 to 18- 372
Players 19 to 22- 203

Bulldogs Versus Sydney (Round 1 2019) 17 point win:

Players 1 to 6- 600
Players 7 to 12- 451
Players 13 to 18- 300
Players 19 to 22- 120

Sydney were the easiest game of the year, people.
Keep your eyes on your fries.

So I should be flying Qantus?

So I should be flying Qantus?
More like Tiger, we don't have enough points for Qantas yet, maybe when we have more even output
across the 22 we can upgrade you to Emirates or British Airways. :thumbsu: Would you like to see all the
winners from round 1, I find it interesting how different teams spread the load across the 22 players
and how some teams can absorb or control a higher volume team.

Was that the season when North were doing their "target one player per game" shennanigans?

It was due to Bont saying something about that scumbag/hack Lindsay Thomas after he took hunters head off. North tried to get revenge for that but failed miserably

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back