Oppo Camp Preview threads for 2014: What you want added, removed, etc

Hey guys, I'll be back next year writing previews for this board and I want to see what else you guys wanted in them the current format includes:

Observations of the previous week, the past 5 encounters, the form guide, sportsbet odds, possible sides, comparisons (their fwd vs our defence, vice versa plus midfield and ruck battle), X-Factor player(s), key stats and my tip. As an example, this is my preview for ANZAC Day:

Observations

Essendon: Essendon dealt with the ASADA investigation mid-week again surrounding James Hird, but were very strong in a good performance against St. Kilda with a comfortable 37 point win, Hurley kicking 3 but also having an injury concern over his ankle, and key forward Scott Gumbleton kicking 4 goals for Essendon

Collingwood: Had a good win against Richmond where their gun forward continued his good form, but have an injury concern to Nathan Brown, who has done his groin (please confirm) but were clinical against an opponent who they should account for comfortably, celebrating Dane Swan's 200th game in style.

Previous encounters (past 5 games): Essendon 0-5 Collingwood

Past 4 matches (most recent onwards)

Essendon: W-W-W-W
Collingwood: W-L-W-W

sportsbet odds

Essendon: $2.20
Collingwood: $1.67

Possible sides

Essendon vs Collingwood

B: Toovey - Frost - Macaffer
F: Al Davey - Hille - Crameri
HB: Shaw - Reid - Russell
HF: Howlett - Gumbleton - Zaharakis
C: D Thomas - Swan - Sidebottom
C: Heppell - Watson - Stanton
HF: Elliot - Cloke - Dwyer
HB: Hibberd - Carlisle - Dempsey
F: Sinclair - Lynch - Goldsack
B: Baguley - Hooker - Pears
R: Hudson - Blair - Pendlebury
R: Bellchambers - Goddard - Hocking
I: O'Brien - Fasolo - M Clarke
I: Melksham - Winderlich - Myers
S: J Thomas
S: Colyer

Essendon forward line vs Collingwood defence

It looks to be a battle between two seriously depleted thirds of the ground for either side. Essendon will be missing Hurley and Ryder, their 2 starting key forwards for the first 3 games of the season, through injury and suspension respectively, and Collingwood will be missing captain Nick Maxwell, promising key defender Lachlan Keefe and possibly Nathan Brown through injury. Reid vs Gumbleton looms as an important match-up, as does Toovey vs Crameri, with Crameri having previously done jobs on Harry O'Brien. How Jack Frost stands up against the resting ruckman in Hille or Bellchambers will also be important, giving away significant height and weight to them. Jordan Russell should account for Alwyn Davey after his drop of form against the Saints.

midfield battle (rucks included)

This is the area Essendon should feel on top with the quality of Collingwood outs, and Essendon's relatively full strength group, with the exception of Paddy Ryder, but that's nothing in comparison to players like Jolly, Beams and Ball, and an underdone Dale Thomas. Hocking will probably go to Swan after last year Great Dane won the medal, and we'll also possibly see Heppell and Pendlebury go head-to-head so Heppell can learn literally learn what Essendon fans want him to turn out as. Watson will be a tough match-up for Buckley, with no real hard taggers in their side, except for Marty Clarke who's expected to go to Stanton again after seriously limiting him last game. BJ Goddard will be another tough match-up for the Collingwood coach, he's in good form and has presented problems for Collingwood in the past. The ruck battle clearly favours Essendon with Hille and Hudson around the same level as a ruckman, and Bellchambers being thrice the ruckman than Lynch is.

Collingwood forward line vs Essendon defence

This the gamebreaker in all likelihood. Travis Cloke is hot after kicking 7 against Richmond, and Jake Carlisle has done a number on 3 very good key forwards in T Walker, M Clark and M Pavlich as well as breaking even with St. Kilda champion N Riewoldt. The support battles may be a good spectacle but this battle might decide the game. Hooker should be able to cover for Lynch after a solid start to the season and Fletcher vs Goldsack looms as an important battle for both sides. Jaime Elliott looks like a tough challenge for Mark Baguley, who's confidence will be high after claiming the scalps of Graeme Johncock, Aaron Davey and Steven Milne.

X-Factor player

Essendon's X-Factor for this week is Jake Melksham. After 23 touches against St. Kilda and a solid start to the year, Melksham finally looks settled at AFL level. He's a smart runner, creates space and does a lot of unnoticed things by his critics, and he just keeps on taking things on board from the coach by the looks of it, with his workrate increasing as indicated his tackle count, possession count and just overall look of him

Ben Sinclair is Collingwood's X-Factor in this game. He's a smart footballer, knows where to run from what I've seen, and has been unselfish this year so far. His pressure inside Collingwood's forward 50 is as good as the likes of Walters for Freo, Bruest for Hawthorn and Garlett for Carlton yet never seems to bob up in these arguments.

Key stats for each side

Essendon:

• Skills. 69% DE against St. Kilda under very little pressure, will want to maintain that under high pressure of the biggest H&A game of the AFL
  • Opponents rebound 50's. Essendon concede 40 rebound 50's per game. They need to keep it in the forward line
  • Marks inside 50. With Lynch and Cloke being their opponents, Essendon need to maintain their good record in this area
Collingwood
  • Contested possessions. Essendon are #1 in the AFL for CP differential, and Collingwood need to get on top in this area
  • Clearances. Collingwood are bottom 3 in clearance differential in 2013, and that won't cut it against quality sides
  • Hitouts. Essendon are 4th in hitout differential, Collingwood 2nd last. Could be a crucial battle for Collingwood
My tip

Massive game, Essendon have lost the last 7 matches against Collingwood and will be keen to break that hoodoo, so I'm going for Essendon by 6 points

remove this part of the preview. because i never read it and i dont want you wasting your time

Essendon forward line vs Collingwood defence

It looks to be a battle between two seriously depleted thirds of the ground for either side. Essendon will be missing Hurley and Ryder, their 2 starting key forwards for the first 3 games of the season, through injury and suspension respectively, and Collingwood will be missing captain Nick Maxwell, promising key defender Lachlan Keefe and possibly Nathan Brown through injury. Reid vs Gumbleton looms as an important match-up, as does Toovey vs Crameri, with Crameri having previously done jobs on Harry O'Brien. How Jack Frost stands up against the resting ruckman in Hille or Bellchambers will also be important, giving away significant height and weight to them. Jordan Russell should account for Alwyn Davey after his drop of form against the Saints.

midfield battle (rucks included)

This is the area Essendon should feel on top with the quality of Collingwood outs, and Essendon's relatively full strength group, with the exception of Paddy Ryder, but that's nothing in comparison to players like Jolly, Beams and Ball, and an underdone Dale Thomas. Hocking will probably go to Swan after last year Great Dane won the medal, and we'll also possibly see Heppell and Pendlebury go head-to-head so Heppell can learn literally learn what Essendon fans want him to turn out as. Watson will be a tough match-up for Buckley, with no real hard taggers in their side, except for Marty Clarke who's expected to go to Stanton again after seriously limiting him last game. BJ Goddard will be another tough match-up for the Collingwood coach, he's in good form and has presented problems for Collingwood in the past. The ruck battle clearly favours Essendon with Hille and Hudson around the same level as a ruckman, and Bellchambers being thrice the ruckman than Lynch is.

Collingwood forward line vs Essendon defence

This the gamebreaker in all likelihood. Travis Cloke is hot after kicking 7 against Richmond, and Jake Carlisle has done a number on 3 very good key forwards in T Walker, M Clark and M Pavlich as well as breaking even with St. Kilda champion N Riewoldt. The support battles may be a good spectacle but this battle might decide the game. Hooker should be able to cover for Lynch after a solid start to the season and Fletcher vs Goldsack looms as an important battle for both sides. Jaime Elliott looks like a tough challenge for Mark Baguley, who's confidence will be high after claiming the scalps of Graeme Johncock, Aaron Davey and Steven Milne.

X-Factor player

Essendon's X-Factor for this week is Jake Melksham. After 23 touches against St. Kilda and a solid start to the year, Melksham finally looks settled at AFL level. He's a smart runner, creates space and does a lot of unnoticed things by his critics, and he just keeps on taking things on board from the coach by the looks of it, with his workrate increasing as indicated his tackle count, possession count and just overall look of him

Ben Sinclair is Collingwood's X-Factor in this game. He's a smart footballer, knows where to run from what I've seen, and has been unselfish this year so far. His pressure inside Collingwood's forward 50 is as good as the likes of Walters for Freo, Bruest for Hawthorn and Garlett for Carlton yet never seems to bob up in these arguments.

remove this part of the preview. because i never read it and i dont want you wasting your time

That's the part I like writing the most

get rid of 'my tip'. keep the rest. i won't read it all but many others will.

That's the part I like writing the most

I don't think you really need to remove anything, if people find it too long they can skim through it. I personally like the full preview... Not much needs to change IMO, keep up the good work :thumbsu:

P.S. we missed you late this season eth-dog

I enjoyed the previews, can't really think of anything that needs to be added or removed. Thanks a lot for the effort you put into writing these.

Back