News PREVIEW - VFLW 1st Elimination Final - Western Bulldogs v Richmond Sunday 1st September, 11:45am Port Melbourne - UPDATE - REVIEW

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea I was prob a bit off referring to it as simple , was a strong breeze so ball was coming in at extra pace . Thought we scrapped for our goals a lot , they had some cleaner ball was ultimately the difference

Great write up for the whole VFLW season TigermanM2
looking forward to the AFLW to start, should be a cracker
Would you do me a favour and upload the team selection picture from the Elimination final?, as you have done from each game?
As I cant seem to save a copy from it, how do you save it?
Cheers and go Tigerettes

Sabrina is very good player judges the ball well in flight , great hands and a very good kick , Courtney is very good also , bobs up with some outstanding marks. Isolate these two and build the side around them, it’s a good start. I’m looking forward to AFLW , if we could find another on baller in conti class our fortunes would sky rocket

VFLW Tigers go down to Bulldogs in elimination final
Genevieve Thorpe, richmondfc.com.au
Sep 1, 2019 7:17PM

The VFLW Tigers’ season has come to an end after a heartbreaking five-point elimination final loss to the Western Bulldogs on Sunday at Adcon Stadium.

The 6.0 (36) to 4.7 (31) loss was the VFLW Tigers’ first ever final, following a successful home-and-away season which concluded with the Tigers fourth on the ladder.

The Tigers and the Bulldogs approached the must-win game with red-hot intensity, with both sides hitting the scoreboard early.

The Bulldogs claimed the first goal at the three-minute mark before the Tigers booted their first major, courtesy of Courtney Wakefield.

Wakefield seized her goal after an impressive mark in the forward pocket following a nice pass from Tayla Stahl.

_D9I1666.jpg

Not long after, Stahl nabbed a goal herself from 30 metres after a pass from Sabrina Frederick.

The Bulldogs fired back, however, with two consecutive goals, establishing a five-point lead over Tigers at quarter time.

The Bulldogs notched another goal one minute into the second term, but the Tigers soon hit back with their trademark intensity as Gabby Seymour secured their third major.

Richmond’s intensity was bolstered by a commanding performance by Kodi Jacques, who laid a team-high five tackles in the first half.

But the Tigers struggled to impact the scoreboard as the crosswind picked up throughout the second term.

Richmond locked the ball inside its forward 50m for the majority of the second quarter, but was unable to capitalise on its opportunities.

The second half concluded with the Bulldogs clutching onto a slim four-point advantage.

The Bulldogs maintained their lead across the third quarter, breaking away with two unanswered goals.

_D9I1640.jpg

The Tigers fought to overcome the Bulldogs’ 16-point advantage in the final term. Courtney Wakefield and Sabrina Frederick both snagged one goal each, leaving just a five-point difference.

With a nail-biting 90 seconds on the clock remaining, Katie Brennan came close to honing in on a goal of her own, but the Bulldogs prevailed with a five-point victory.

It was a gallant effort by the Tigers, who dominated inside-50s 33-17, but the Bulldogs’ accuracy in front of goal proved too damaging, and the Tigers were unable to convert their chances.

Katie Brennan had a stellar performance, playing an integral role in the midfield as she laid four tackles and collected 18 disposals, including seven clearances.

_D9I1740.jpg

Midfield duo Grace Egan and Kate Dempsey were also prolific with an impressive 19 disposals and five clearances apiece.

Defender Phoebe Monahan continued her excellent form, securing 10 disposals and five inside-50s.

Despite the loss, 2019 has proven to be a highly successful season for the VFLW Tigers, who have shown enormous progression after finishing 12th on the ladder last year.

The finals outing will also provide the Tigers with valuable experience as they prepare to enter the AFLW in 2020.

_D9I1632.jpg

_D9I1642.jpg

_D9I1790.jpg

_D9I1883.jpg

Last edited:

Great write up for the whole VFLW season TigermanM2
looking forward to the AFLW to start, should be a cracker
Would you do me a favour and upload the team selection picture from the Elimination final?, as you have done from each game?
As I cant seem to save a copy from it, how do you save it?

Cheers and go Tigerettes

Done

I've added it to the preview post on the first page.

I just used snipping tool to copy and then paste into a post. It's a Microsoft product so should be available to anyone who has Windows Vista and later.

Last edited:
For us the attention now turns to our AFLW list and who might be part of our 2020 team.

Kate Dempsey has hardly put a foot wrong since the R7 bye so I think she'll be right in the mix. Great yesterday.

Can't be too hard on Stahl for dropping that mark right at the end. Heaps of marks were dropped. Just the pressure of the game. There were worse misses. We probably should have been ahead before then anyway.
Lost her cool in the 3rd and other than that played pretty well. Looked pretty upset at the 3QT break. Hopefully she learns from it as she has the ability to really make her mark in AFLW if she works hard between now and the start of the season.

The players did us proud, fighting to the end
Other than Conti, I think we missed Grace Campbell the most (foot/leg injury)
Stahl I think definitely could turn into a very good midfielder as she has some footy smarts

Done

I've added it to the preview post on the first page.

I just used snipping tool to copy and then paste into a post. It's a Microsoft product so should be available to anyone who has Windows Vista and later.

Thank you very much TigermanM2
Where do you get this snipping tool to copy and then paste into a post? I have windows 10

For us the attention now turns to our AFLW list and who might be part of our 2020 team.

Kate Dempsey has hardly put a foot wrong since the R7 bye so I think she'll be right in the mix. Great yesterday.

Yes K. Dempsey in our best R8, R9, R10, R12, R13, R16, EF1, the most out of all the players
G. Campbell R1, R3, R5, R8, R10, R11, G. Seymour R6, R9, R10, R11, R15, R16 and T. Stahl R1, R4, R6, R8, R12, R14 next overall best
Kate is the only one of the top 4 not yet upgraded, but I think that should change very soon
Go tigerettes

Thank you very much TigermanM2
Where do you get this snipping tool to copy and then paste into a post? I have windows 10

I am running Windows 10 as well.

Just search in your Windows search window.

It should appear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players did us proud, fighting to the end
Other than Conti, I think we missed Grace Campbell the most (foot/leg injury)
Stahl I think definitely could turn into a very good midfielder as she has some footy smarts
Conti plays that game we win simple , for mine we just lacked a bit of clean ball i50 , a classy mid that always finds space would have spotted up our forwards enough to bridge the 5p gap. Not sure how many more spots need to be filled , that’s where I’d zero in , fleet footed mid, handles the ball well and can kick , they grow on trees , surely 😮

Conti plays that game we win simple , for mine we just lacked a bit of clean ball i50 , a classy mid that always finds space would have spotted up our forwards enough to bridge the 5p gap. Not sure how many more spots need to be filled , that’s where I’d zero in , fleet footed mid, handles the ball well and can kick , they grow on trees , surely 😮

No doubt we need some more mids and I have no doubt that’s what we will target come the draft but you also have to say that with yesterday’s game when you have 36 inside entries to 19 and kick 4.7 to 6.0 it’s not necessarily a problem with getting it inside 50 but the players there making the most of it. We have a serious case of the yips in front of goal.

No doubt we need some more mids and I have no doubt that’s what we will target come the draft but you also have to say that with yesterday’s game when you have 36 inside entries to 19 and kick 4.7 to 6.0 it’s not necessarily a problem with getting it inside 50 but the players there making the most of it. We have a serious case of the yips in front of goal.
I emphasised clean ball , that’s why I say we really missed the class of Conti hitting up a forward or two. If I was involved with a women’s side I’d work on more offensive handball , finding a teammate in the clear on the attack. anyways the girls should be happy with themselves that they fought the game out , 16p in the context was a huge gap and we went within a whisker of closing it

VFL.com.au
Published on September 2, 2019 3:32 pm

1st Elimination Final

WESTERN BULLDOGS 6.0 (36) d RICHMOND 4.7 (31)

Efficiency in front of goal helped the Bulldogs (3rd on ladder, 11-4 overall record in 2019) eliminate Richmond (4th, 9-6) from the finals at Adcon Stadium on Sunday, in the process setting up a semi-final clash with Collingwood (see above) for the right to advance to the Grand Final. The Bulldogs are now on a five-match winning streak and have defeated the Tigers three times in 2019, following victories by six points in Round 9 and by 43 points in Round 15.

Richmond trailed from late in the first quarter of the elimination final but fought back from a 16-point deficit at the last change to give the Bulldogs a scare in the final stanza. The Tigers kicked five consecutive behinds to start the term before Courtney Wakefield’s second goal with less than three minutes to play ensured a tense finale. Ultimately though, the Bulldogs’ better use of five fewer scoring shots – and 17 fewer inside-50s – proved the difference.

They were led from the back line by Ashleigh Guest (team-high 18 disposals and nine rebound-50s), in the middle by Kirsty Lamb(17, eight clearances and one goal) and Ellie Gavalas (13, four clearances and one goal) and up forward by 17-year-old Western Jets graduate Elisabeth Georgostathis (12 tackles and two goals). Celine Moody provided presence in the ruck with 25 hitouts, while the club’s American AFLW rookie signing Danielle Marshall shone with 10 touches, six marks and one major.

Richmond’s first VFLW finals appearance ended on a sour note, but several of AFLW signings stood out ahead of the club’s inaugural elite-level season in 2020. Katie Brennan recorded 18 disposals and eight clearances, ruck Gabrielle Seymour had 17 hitouts and kicked a goal, and Sabrina Frederick picked up 15 touches and took five marks. Kate Dempsey (game-high 20 disposals and six inside-50s) and Grace Egan (17 and six clearances) were other Tigers to perform well in defeat.

Highlights.

Watched it 5 x , an arm went out was no hold , gee they kicked some goals right from the clacker and they all went straight through the middle

#27 took the kick. There wasn't a free there. It was the umpire that was horrible all day. I am not sure what she is watching.

I emphasised clean ball , that’s why I say we really missed the class of Conti hitting up a forward or two. If I was involved with a women’s side I’d work on more offensive handball , finding a teammate in the clear on the attack. anyways the girls should be happy with themselves that they fought the game out , 16p in the context was a huge gap and we went within a whisker of closing it

I agree with all of the above Bojangles17
With the new AFLW players coming in to our side it was always going to be a learning curve
I say get Dusty, Cotch etc to give the ladies a few tricks to take into the AFLW season
To make it into the finals in our 2nd year was a good effort and we have found a few players along the way
Go tigerettes

VFL.com.au
Published on September 4, 2019 11:24 am

1st Elimination Final

WESTERN BULLDOGS 6.0 (36) d RICHMOND 4.7 (31)

KEY TO VICTORY: The Tigers might look at this match as one that got away, with their relative inefficiency in front of goal a major factor in the result. Richmond managed only four majors from 36 inside-50s at an efficiency rate of 11 per cent – when its home-and-away average was 20 per cent (ranked third in the VFLW). The Bulldogs, meanwhile, scored six goals from just 19 entries at a rate of 32 per cent – 16 per cent higher than their season average.

Clearly the team defence of the Bulldogs held up well under pressure too, with Ashleigh Guest (game-high nine rebound-50s) consistently driving them forward from the back line. However, through Celine Moody (game-high 25 hitouts), the victors also neutralised the impact of the Tigers’ top-ranked ruck division for hitouts per game in Gabrielle Seymour (17) and Alice Edmonds (15).

BEST STAT: The entry of 2019 Western Jets skipper Elisabeth Georgostathis into the Bulldogs’ line-up has coincided with the team’s current five-match winning streak. The 17-year-old has proven a handful for opposition defenders inside 50, kicking six goals and averaging over six tackles per game in her five VFLW appearances. Georgostathis shone against Richmond with two majors and a game-high 12 tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back