Previous TFL Seasons

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm in the process of collating all information on all the previous TFL Seasons of the past, that includes the pre-WWII seasons leading all the way through to the Cascade-Boags League, the SWL and the current TSL competition.

Some useless info:
The Statewide League ran from 5 April 1986 until 9 September 2000.
An official total of 2,208,949 people attended the 1,427 fixtures at an average attendance of 1,548 per match.
The highest official crowd was 17,878 at the 1988 Grand Final between Devonport and Glenorchy at North Hobart.
The lowest official crowd was 399 at Windsor Park for the match between Launceston and Hobart in 1997.

• 1970 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1979 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1980 TANFL Winfield Statewide Cup - Click here
• 1980 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1981 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1982 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1983 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1984 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1985 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1986 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1987 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1988 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1989 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1990 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1991 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1992 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1993 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1994 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1995 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1996 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1997 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1998 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
• 1999 TSFL Season - Click here
• 2000 SWL Season - Click here
• 2009 TSL Season - Click here

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
I made the wikipedia page for the current season if people would like to put in information as the season progreses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_TSL_season

Surprised that overly officious moderator AFL-Cool hasn't deleted it yet because the season hasn't started.
He seems to nerdily make his own rules up with regard to moderating all the content to the point where it's getting annoying and in some cases pedalling incorrect info.
Eg: Constantly reverting the name TSL back to TFL which is rubbish because the Tasmanian Football League (TFL), who were the sport's governing body in those days as well as the state's top league went out of business in 1999 (it was liquidated after being millions of dollars in debt), that is why the AFL stepped in and formed a new governing body named Football Tasmania (now called AFL Tasmania) and funded the Statewide League in 2000 to the tune of $750,000 and called it the SWL because they couldn't refer to it as TFL, TSFL etc.
When Burnie upped stumps and left the SWL at the end of 2000, the AFL decided to redistribute their funding elsewhere by way of disbanding the Statewide League concept, sending all remaining clubs back to their respective regional competitions (NTFA in the North & SFL in the South) and putting that funding into a Tasmanian representitive 'club' side in the Victorian Football League (formerly the VFA) from 2001 onwards.

Denying the fact that the Burnie Hawks were a follow on club from the old Cooee Bulldogs from the NWFU.
Cooee wanted to join the Statewide League but were $100,000 in debt, David Smith (TFL President at the time) held a joint meeting with both Burnie Tigers and Cooee members, players and officials at the BAC in May 1986 and expressed a desire for the two clubs to merge and form a single entity to join the Statewide League.
The two sets of members voted against that proposal and Smith let both clubs put in proposals to join.
In the end, Cooee folded up their club after 92 years and started a new one called Burnie Hawks and adopted the Hawk emblem and colours (Bulldogs was taken by South Launceston) and Hawthorn's jumpers were identical to Cooee, gold with brown stripes and numbers as opposed to dark green stripes for Cooee.
This eradicated their debt problem and got them into the Statewide League without having to merge with the Tigers.
Did a lot of reading up on this whole thing and I also work in the same organisation as Cooee's senior coach at the time who confirmed it.
Wouldn't believe it though and wouldn't even believe the two clubs shared West Park!

I could go on, but you get the drift. It gives me the f*cking shits at times.

Tim_in_Philly

Team Captain
Nov 2, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I've got 1946, 1947 and 1966 data along these lines in electronic form that I can send to you.

The stuff you've done is great. Well done.

The rest of the 70s will be interesting as we see the dramatic drop-off in attendances.

Note that in the 1980 Winfield Cup competition there was also a 3rd/4th play-off match where Glenorchy beat North Launceston at York Park by about 70 points.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
I've got 1946, 1947 and 1966 data along these lines in electronic form that I can send to you.

The stuff you've done is great. Well done.

The rest of the 70s will be interesting as we see the dramatic drop-off in attendances.

Note that in the 1980 Winfield Cup competition there was also a 3rd/4th play-off match where Glenorchy beat North Launceston at York Park by about 70 points.

Thanks Tim that'd be awesome! I've been flat chat the last few weeks so I haven't had much of a chance to get into the library, might pull up '78 & '71 next, then '77 & '72 etc.

1977 I'm led to believe saw some pretty poor attendances.
The Grand Final (Bay v Norky) only pulled in 12,960 and the prelim (Norky v Norfik') only 5,611, I did see Hobart only drew 647 at one TCA game late in the season. :eek:
Also, yes the Robins & Glenorchy played at York Park the same day as Hobart & Clarence met in the Winfield Cup final, 77-points to the Pies in a real turn up, couldn't locate the official scores anywhere at all however :(

Norchy pies4life - I unfortunately wasn't able to open that pic, but I have the same ones here, except Hobart as that is sitting on old Catweazle's wall.
New Norfolk & Glenorchy's were taken where the current changerooms are at Boyer, Hobart's was outside the changerooms at the TCA with the Western Stand in the background, Sandy Bay's was at North Hobart , Clarence's was at Bellerive and North Hobart's was at KGV when the terraces were still flat.
I've even got the old record here with the songs on it!!!
I went to Remasters a few years back and had them retouch and transfer the record over to CD - good as gold!

Edit - Got the pics, switched over to Firefox LOL. :D

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks Tim that'd be awesome! I've been flat chat the last few weeks so I haven't had much of a chance to get into the library, might pull up '78 & '71 next, then '77 & '72 etc.

1977 I'm led to believe saw some pretty poor attendances.
The Grand Final (Bay v Norky) only pulled in 12,960 and the prelim (Norky v Norfik') only 5,611, I did see Hobart only drew 647 at one TCA game late in the season. :eek:
Also, yes the Robins & Glenorchy played at York Park the same day as Hobart & Clarence met in the Winfield Cup final, 77-points to the Pies in a real turn up, couldn't locate the official scores anywhere at all however :(

Norchy pies4life - I unfortunately wasn't able to open that pic, but I have the same ones here, except Hobart as that is sitting on old Catweazle's wall.
New Norfolk & Glenorchy's were taken where the current changerooms are at Boyer, Hobart's was outside the changerooms at the TCA with the Western Stand in the background, Sandy Bay's was at North Hobart , Clarence's was at Bellerive and North Hobart's was at KGV when the terraces were still flat.
I've even got the old record here with the songs on it!!!
I went to Remasters a few years back and had them retouch and transfer the record over to CD - good as gold!

Edit - Got the pics, switched over to Firefox LOL. :D

Season 1977 was very wet. Grounds were awash & had very poor drainage. also the crowds werent as well covered as needed for the attendance levels of the day. Also I had some of those plastic records of TFL club songs. As a kid, We got them from the old Purity supermarket (now Woolworths)

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Also I had some of those plastic records of TFL club songs. As a kid, We got them from the old Purity supermarket (now Woolworths)

Would anyone on here no where to find on the internet or have the old TANFL clubsongs on a computer as I would really love to have them and I have been looking for them so about two weeks.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Would anyone on here no where to find on the internet or have the old TANFL clubsongs on a computer as I would really love to have them and I have been looking for them so about two weeks.

They're not on the net. I was gunna ask Duff one day if he had the knowhow to somehow get them online as I've got both the old record and the CD.
I'm a knuckledragger when it comes to stuff like that, haven't got a clue.
The old '71 versions are done in piano with 5 blokes singing backup as opposed to the later versions you might still hear at the football these days, swing/jazz versions recorded by Spectangle Productions in North Hobart in the late 80's.
Spectangle also mucked about with the words of many of the songs as well I noticed, definitely Clarence (for obvious reasons because they changed their colours), Hobart, New Norfolk and Glenorchy.
They do sound a bit dated but are better than those crap Spectangle ones.

Jul 16, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hobart Tigers, Hurricanes,
They're not on the net. I was gunna ask Duff one day if he had the knowhow to somehow get them online as I've got both the old record and the CD.
Please do, I would love a copy of the Hobart Song.
"Hobart Forever Boys.
Answer The Call,
We Are The MIGHTY TIGERS.
Hobart Is The Greatest Team Of All."

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
You could put the cd into your computer copy it and send it through email or put it on a site. Email is easy but website might be harder.

EDIT: You could download it onto your computer and share it through this site

www.4shared.com

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks for the tip :thumbsu:
I had a go at it with the site you linked me too, I think (hope) that worked.

1971 Purity TANFL Football Songs
• Clarence Club Song - Download here
• Glenorchy Club Song - Download here
• Hobart Club Song - Download here
• New Norfolk Club Song - Download here
• North Hobart Club Song - Download here
• Sandy Bay Club Song - Download here

Added 1978 season also.
Kingpin said:
• 1978 TANFL Season - Click here

moogrot

Senior List
May 4, 2008
hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dosa
Hey Kingpin its a little off topic but i have a heap of old bottle tops with TFL players on them.Do you know of any one with any of these ?I would really love to get hold of some more .Not sure of the years but i have a couple with Huddo when he first started with New Norfolk. Players from Hobart i have are David Sullivan,Noel Gray,Peter Ratcliffe,Denis Powell,Jeremy Thiessen,Wayne Williams,Alan Page.I have heaps from the pies (the old man supported the pies).

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey Kingpin its a little off topic but i have a heap of old bottle tops with TFL players on them.Do you know of any one with any of these ?I would really love to get hold of some more .Not sure of the years but i have a couple with Huddo when he first started with New Norfolk. Players from Hobart i have are David Sullivan,Noel Gray,Peter Ratcliffe,Denis Powell,Jeremy Thiessen,Wayne Williams,Alan Page.I have heaps from the pies (the old man supported the pies).

Gday Moogrot!
That would from the Coca Cola folder from 1965, I've got many of Hobart's ones around here in a folder, found 'em in a box in the spare room a few years ago along with one of those team pennant things that spectators would buy at the grand finals to wave, from the 1960 Grand Final.
Sometimes you can find old knick-knacks like that in op shops and on ebay, but sorry mate, I'll be hanging onto mine :)
Old Catweazle up at Hobart finds a lot of stuff like that around the place.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
1976 & 1977 uploaded.
Kingpin said:
• 1976 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1977 TANFL Season - Click here
• 1978 TANFL Season - Click here

I have the current TSL Club songs as well, I will upload them all I have uploaded Glenorchy, Clarence, Hobart, South Launceston I bought them from AFL Tasmania early last year. They are being hosted on my old website as I no longer use it to keep things uipdated there.

It was Pro Wrestling Unlimited, back in the day I was keen to run a wrestling site, I have since moved onto writing sports blogs, in a sense. I will find all my files, and upload them, it's on freewebs, I am not sure where the CD of them has gone off to, and you will have to excuse the quality of the Burnie club song...I will have a look tomorrow for them.

Jul 16, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hobart Tigers, Hurricanes,
Thanks, I am assuming that the Hobart song had the line "We are the Mighty Lions" and you just replaced this by doubling up the line "Hobart is the Greatest team of all".

Back