FTA-TV Prime Suspect

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The amazing Helen Mirren as Jane Tennison. She's the original UK TV crime series obsessive female detective. Despite her personal issues and fighting sexism in the workplace she leads her team to solve the complex murder cases.

The show was mostly only two or three episodes per season. I'm rewatching from the start.

Last edited:
S1. (1991)

I forgot how old the show is. It's a wonderful glimpse into early 1990s Britain. Double breasted suits and paisley ties. No mobile phones. Green screen computers. Really s**t cars. Some things haven't changed like the interview room recording machine that goes "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep".

Mirren has a timeless quality about her. And she's so natural you forget she is acting.

No one is forcing you to watch it.

S3. A stellar cast. Mark Strong, David Thewlis, Keiran Hinds. The first mobile phones! Looks like a Motorola flip phone with a pull out antenna.

S4. Moved to one story per movie length episode. The quality of the show went to another level. Kelly Reilly appears, who has gone on to many good things.

Series 4 is probably my least favourite. Still good stories, but preferred the longer format. Recasting Marlow didn't really work for me. Series 1 was great for it's rawness, but Series 3 & 6 are probably my favourite.

Series 4 is probably my least favourite. Still good stories, but preferred the longer format. Recasting Marlow didn't really work for me. Series 1 was great for it's rawness, but Series 3 & 6 are probably my favourite.

The different actor for Marlow confused me for a while.

The series have their differences but are very consistent in quality because of good writing and Mirren's great performances. I would rate it better than more recent British shows such as Line of Duty.

Watching the show from the start is an interesting study in recent social and technological trends. There were no mobile phones and social media in 1991.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back