Universal Love Princes Park - 10th Feb 2019 Update - $15M Fed Govt Grant - Post #1709

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WFGodot

Team Captain
AFL Club
Carlton
I've read that email a few times and I'm still not getting the
I've read that email a few times and I'm still not getting the angst.
You read it more than once right? And despite blatant party political references this is fine? As per a previous post of mine, it hardly matters as theee guys won’t get in so it may as well be $150m.
I’d love more money to redevelop PP but if nothing else it inappropriate to reference either political party in this manner. Who wrote this?

AFL Club
Carlton
It's my dream that one day a billionaire will buy the club and fund a complete redevelopment of Princes Park, ideally expanding capacity to 50-80k and keeping/ restoring the Gardiner Stand underneath it.

Then we would play most of our games there to a sold out navy blue crowd. I know it happens in Europe so why not here. Let me be naive.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

drunkill

All Australian
AFL Club
Carlton
We have a son of a billionaire on the board, Matthison.

The only contribution to the club he's done is free pokie/gaming licenses for our pubs.

Hoping he kicks in a few mil for this redev, Jeanne Pratt too. A 50m upgrade would be much better than 35-40m.

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Moderator #1,781
We have a son of a billionaire on the board, Mathieson.

The only contribution to the club he's done is free pokie/gaming licenses for our pubs.

Hoping he kicks in a few mil for this redev, Jeanne Pratt too. A 50m upgrade would be much better than 35-40m.

Nephew ;)

The Flying Doormat

Retired, Extremely Disingenuous
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tranmere Rovers
I've read that email a few times and I'm still not getting the angst.
Let's assume LoG isn't pushing a party political line. If so then we've got one hell of a dumbass as President.
We are in the throws of a pre-election period that is going to be as dirty as it gets, yet he can't word his email in a balanced manner?
You don't think the praise heaped on the Federal Coalition below for the $15m somewhat overshadows that afforded to State Labor for the $20m?
One reads as a gushing endorsement, the other an afterthought.

"We are thrilled by the support received from the Liberal Nationals Government and we sincerely thank the Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, Prime Minister Scott Morrison and the Liberal Nationals Government, for their commitment of $15M. This investment, in addition to the $20M provided by the Daniel Andrews State government, will consolidate Ikon Park as the home of women’s football and the long-term base of the Carlton Football Club."

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Moderator #1,784
I'm sure he'll be in the will either way.
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/club/board

Craig Mathieson joined Carlton’s Board in October 2012. He brings to the Board expertise in finance, and is the CEO of The Mathieson Group. He was previously the CEO of DMS Glass.
Craig grew up supporting Carlton and remains passionate about the Club. He is the son of Carlton Life Member Don Mathieson, who has been a member of the Carltonians for more than 25 years.

Stamos

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
I bet the front-line people who work for the club, and probably don’t even know the President, can hardly wait for you ranting call. Seriously. Think before you act. Bloody *** politics.
Rant?
To call and say that his press release was really poorly worded, and reflects poorly on the club?
How is that a rant?

Doro

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
Let's assume LoG isn't pushing a party political line. If so then we've got one hell of a dumbass as President.
We are in the throws of a pre-election period that is going to be as dirty as it gets, yet he can't word his email in a balanced manner?
You don't think the praise heaped on the Federal Coalition below for the $15m somewhat overshadows that afforded to State Labor for the $20m?

"We are thrilled by the support received from the Liberal Nationals Government and we sincerely thank the Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, Prime Minister Scott Morrison and the Liberal Nationals Government, for their commitment of $15M. This investment, in addition to the $20M provided by the Daniel Andrews State government, will consolidate Ikon Park as the home of women’s football and the long-term base of the Carlton Football Club."
So he needed to add 'ALP' to Daniel Andrew's Government? It's a letter to members of an AFL club, not a party campaign . Maybe the strength of the readers political views equate to levels of triggering. Looking forward to plans for the ground being finalised and work commencing .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bigm386

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
So he needed to add 'ALP' to Daniel Andrew's Government? It's a letter to members of an AFL club, not a party campaign . Maybe the strength of the readers political views equate to levels of triggering. Looking forward to plans for the ground being finalised and work commencing .
No if MLG wasn't a stupid git. You would have mentioned state and federal support and also potentially extended an invitation for the opposition to support the proposal.

The fact any of this can be interpreted as political is an issue and is completely unprofessional.

Doro

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
No if MLG wasn't a stupid git. You would have mentioned state and federal support and also potentially extended an invitation for the opposition to support the proposal.

The fact any of this can be interpreted as political is an issue and is completely unprofessional.
See your terminology towards the club president largely explains your feelings about the wording of the email . No ones vote will be swayed, just a bit of internet hot-air .

bigm386

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
See your terminology towards the club president largely explains your feelings about the wording of the email . No ones vote will be swayed, just a bit of internet hot-air .
The club presidents address was that of a stupid git hence my reference. I have not once been critical of him until today.

But no more responses from me. Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

DirkDiggler

Team Captain
AFL Club
Carlton

Don't know how politically savvy our club is. Unfortunately the days of being anon partisan participant are over.

I would assume we pressed hard for the current Federal Government financial support. In return, this may have influenced the club to word it in a way to show the current Government in positive light at the risk of alienating club supporters. If I was the Carlton president I would have used it as leverage and asked the ALP Opposition leader to commit to matching or even exceeding it. This would further strengthen its credentials as a progressive party and supporter of womens' sports. As it stands now, we may have alienated the the ALP, the party most likely to be in power post May election and end up never seeing the $15 million election pledge from the Libs.

Not sure LoG has the political nous to play the political parties off each other.

Dirk

Big_Luch

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s not bland. The club is getting money from governments from opposing sides, but named them differently. It should have named them as Federal Government and Victorian State Government, and not as the Liberal National Government and Daniel Andrews Government that it did.
The club does an excellent job to secure 35 million dollars in funding and your gripe is how they word an email.

Countless hours of lobbying, meetings, proposals and pulling strings went into this and you want to hang the president over an email?

Did you call the club after a diabolical two win season? Hope you did because that is 100 times more of an issue than this.

Kruzering

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
I'll bet the same people whining about the political bias were the same people wanting the club to publically take a supportive position on gay marriage.

Can't have it both ways
Not me, I supported the club not taking a stance, even though I have a gay brother and gay friends and was/am very personally supportive of gay marriage.

It's a simple equation, don't mix politics with football.

The lack of foresight from the president to not realise this clearly indicates he's not that smart. If you're going to have a political agenda at least be clever about it, he has basically written his across his forehead, while he was clearly trying to be subtle.

Was p1sses me off most about this is that its shown MGL to be sh1t tactiction and basically a moron, if he lacks the foresight here, where else is he going to f up

Top Bottom