Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
Let's assume LoG isn't pushing a party political line. If so then we've got one hell of a dumbass as President.
We are in the throws of a pre-election period that is going to be as dirty as it gets, yet he can't word his email in a balanced manner?
You don't think the praise heaped on the Federal Coalition below for the $15m somewhat overshadows that afforded to State Labor for the $20m?
One reads as a gushing endorsement, the other an afterthought.

"We are thrilled by the support received from the Liberal Nationals Government and we sincerely thank the Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, Prime Minister Scott Morrison and the Liberal Nationals Government, for their commitment of $15M. This investment, in addition to the $20M provided by the Daniel Andrews State government, will consolidate Ikon Park as the home of women’s football and the long-term base of the Carlton Football Club."

So he needed to add 'ALP' to Daniel Andrew's Government? It's a letter to members of an AFL club, not a party campaign . Maybe the strength of the readers political views equate to levels of triggering. Looking forward to plans for the ground being finalised and work commencing .

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
So he needed to add 'ALP' to Daniel Andrew's Government? It's a letter to members of an AFL club, not a party campaign . Maybe the strength of the readers political views equate to levels of triggering. Looking forward to plans for the ground being finalised and work commencing .

No if MLG wasn't a stupid git. You would have mentioned state and federal support and also potentially extended an invitation for the opposition to support the proposal.

The fact any of this can be interpreted as political is an issue and is completely unprofessional.

Doro

Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
No if MLG wasn't a stupid git. You would have mentioned state and federal support and also potentially extended an invitation for the opposition to support the proposal.

The fact any of this can be interpreted as political is an issue and is completely unprofessional.

See your terminology towards the club president largely explains your feelings about the wording of the email . No ones vote will be swayed, just a bit of internet hot-air .

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
See your terminology towards the club president largely explains your feelings about the wording of the email . No ones vote will be swayed, just a bit of internet hot-air .

The club presidents address was that of a stupid git hence my reference. I have not once been critical of him until today.

But no more responses from me. Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's assume LoG isn't pushing a party political line. If so then we've got one hell of a dumbass as President.
We are in the throws of a pre-election period that is going to be as dirty as it gets, yet he can't word his email in a balanced manner?
You don't think the praise heaped on the Federal Coalition below for the $15m somewhat overshadows that afforded to State Labor for the $20m?
One reads as a gushing endorsement, the other an afterthought.

"We are thrilled by the support received from the Liberal Nationals Government and we sincerely thank the Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, Prime Minister Scott Morrison and the Liberal Nationals Government, for their commitment of $15M. This investment, in addition to the $20M provided by the Daniel Andrews State government, will consolidate Ikon Park as the home of women’s football and the long-term base of the Carlton Football Club."

Don't know how politically savvy our club is. Unfortunately the days of being anon partisan participant are over.

I would assume we pressed hard for the current Federal Government financial support. In return, this may have influenced the club to word it in a way to show the current Government in positive light at the risk of alienating club supporters. If I was the Carlton president I would have used it as leverage and asked the ALP Opposition leader to commit to matching or even exceeding it. This would further strengthen its credentials as a progressive party and supporter of womens' sports. As it stands now, we may have alienated the the ALP, the party most likely to be in power post May election and end up never seeing the $15 million election pledge from the Libs.

Not sure LoG has the political nous to play the political parties off each other.

Dirk

Big_Luch

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s not bland. The club is getting money from governments from opposing sides, but named them differently. It should have named them as Federal Government and Victorian State Government, and not as the Liberal National Government and Daniel Andrews Government that it did.
The club does an excellent job to secure 35 million dollars in funding and your gripe is how they word an email.

Countless hours of lobbying, meetings, proposals and pulling strings went into this and you want to hang the president over an email?

Did you call the club after a diabolical two win season? Hope you did because that is 100 times more of an issue than this.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
I'll bet the same people whining about the political bias were the same people wanting the club to publically take a supportive position on gay marriage.

Can't have it both ways

Not me, I supported the club not taking a stance, even though I have a gay brother and gay friends and was/am very personally supportive of gay marriage.

It's a simple equation, don't mix politics with football.

The lack of foresight from the president to not realise this clearly indicates he's not that smart. If you're going to have a political agenda at least be clever about it, he has basically written his across his forehead, while he was clearly trying to be subtle.

Was p1sses me off most about this is that its shown MGL to be sh1t tactiction and basically a moron, if he lacks the foresight here, where else is he going to f up

I am going to call the club up today to congratulate them on the wording of the press release.... And for every animal you don't eat I'll eat three

For what it's worth, much of the branding around the Vic Government is "Andrews Government"

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
Haha, some of you are fair dinkum Colin trippers.

For starters, the state government is well known as the Andrews government so much so that I bet that egocentrical money wasting twat Andrews demands it be called that.

In relation to naming the Libs/Nationals in latest release it’s bloody clear that they haven’t got the promise from Labor so you have to be careful and not say the federal government because the likelihood of it being the libs in 3 months time is very low.
You can then lobby labor hard from all angles (Carlton/AFL/AFLW/Women in general) which puts pressure for them to act and match (or heaven help us give a better package).

If they don’t, then we haven’t shot our load and told the members we’d have 35mill when we only have 20mill making thenselves look like fools and the eyes and heat go onto a federal labor government.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
I am going to call the club up today to congratulate them on the wording of the press release.... And for every animal you don't eat I'll eat three

For what it's worth, much of the branding around the Vic Government is "Andrews Government"

Wow I'm "triggered"

Feb 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Very proud of you. However, will you change your stance should as expected, the ALP government get in and we see none of that money?

I have a problem with it. If the Libs were expected to get in not so much leaving my left wing political bias aside.

Feb 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Haha, some of you are fair dinkum Colin trippers.

For starters, the state government is well known as the Andrews government so much so that I bet that egocentrical money wasting twat Andrews demands it be called that

I guess you are incapable of setting aside your partisan politics and focusing on the main point.

In relation to naming the Libs/Nationals in latest release it’s bloody clear that they haven’t got the promise from Labor so you have to be careful and not say the federal government because the likelihood of it being the libs in 3 months time is very low.
You can then lobby labor hard from all angles (Carlton/AFL/AFLW/Women in general) which puts pressure for them to act and match (or heaven help us give a better package).

Is this an opinion or fact? How do you know they haven’t got the support of the Federal Labor Party. Have you been told by the club or are you making an assumption?

If they don’t, then we haven’t shot our load and told the members we’d have 35mill when we only have 20mill making thenselves look like fools and the eyes and heat go onto a federal labor government.

The heat will well and truly be on LoG if Labor don’t match the Liberal party promise. No use lobbying the federal ALP post election.

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I can't believe some people cannot see the issue with the statement.

Whenever these grants are given, it only ever refers to the Federal Government or State Government.

This is clearly clearly a way to sway people to vote Liberals/Nationals at next election. This is seriously wrong as it is using the members as intended targets for the Libs campaign.

I know Carlton is a white collar Libs club and obviously our President is one too... and I can also see Josh Frydenburg insisting to reach out to the 50k members... but I do not want anything politics with my football club.

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
No. Need needed to only refer to Federal and State governments like happens with every other funding grants.

Doro

Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
No. Need needed to only refer to Federal and State governments like happens with every other funding grants.

I clearly need to take my tin foil hat in for a service. That email won't be swaying
anyone to do anything, generic update newsletter to let the members know where we're at.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Personally I preferred the club not being involved. It should not be involved in politics in any way.
Nothing exists in a bubble. The way this message discussion has blown up is clearly over the top, but the club could have easily worded/branded this better by referring to both leaders by name and political party.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

How about the Daniel Andrews State Government.

The heat will well and truly be on LoG if Labor don’t match the Liberal party promise. No use lobbying the federal ALP post election.

it really wont.

Back