teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
No. Need needed to only refer to Federal and State governments like happens with every other funding grants.

Both grants agreed to with incumbents right before elections, the federal election only months away and likely to be changing.

They won’t be the federal government anymore!!

Reading way way too much into this

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Haha, some of you are fair dinkum Colin trippers.

For starters, the state government is well known as the Andrews government so much so that I bet that egocentrical money wasting twat Andrews demands it be called that.

In relation to naming the Libs/Nationals in latest release it’s bloody clear that they haven’t got the promise from Labor so you have to be careful and not say the federal government because the likelihood of it being the libs in 3 months time is very low.
You can then lobby labor hard from all angles (Carlton/AFL/AFLW/Women in general) which puts pressure for them to act and match (or heaven help us give a better package).

If they don’t, then we haven’t shot our load and told the members we’d have 35mill when we only have 20mill making thenselves look like fools and the eyes and heat go onto a federal labor government.

When you use “Colin Tripper” I hope you give the right attribution.

;)

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Personally I preferred the club not being involved. It should not be involved in politics in any way.

Its unavoidable imo, social issues and movements become political issues, sporting clubs are supposed to represent the members, players and sponsors of that club.

A lot of these issues affect thousands of supporters and many of them want their club to be on the right side when it comes to them.

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
1549883257515.png

However.......The obvious thing to do was search for the announcement made by the club when the $20m from state Labour was awarded:

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-04-13/ikon-parks-20m-boost

Carlton President Mark LoGiudice said the Club was incredibly appreciative of the investment that will see a state-of-the-art facility developed at the iconic ground. “We are extremely thankful to the Premier Daniel Andrews and his government for their investment in our football club," LoGiudice said.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-04-13/ikon-parks-20m-boost

Ok, so they don't mention the word "Labour" but it sounds just as gushing, and just as effusive as the statement made for the federal $15m.

Both timed to occur in the lead up to an election.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
The club does an excellent job to secure 35 million dollars in funding and your gripe is how they word an email.

Countless hours of lobbying, meetings, proposals and pulling strings went into this and you want to hang the president over an email?.

It's a seperate issue. The work that has gone into pursuing potential funding is not in question. What's in question is that the leading representative of a cross section of members, with varying political and social views, appears to be promoting political favouritism. Whether he actually is or not is irrelevant.

The club assumes a responsible and influential position amongst supporters, and within the community. Its not unreasonable to expect its president to be astute enough to remain visibly neutral in political matters; club did so on the gender equality debate, it's reasonable to expect that it would have done likewise on the wording in the press release.

A little more neutrality, or slightly better care, would arguably have no detrimental impact on the potential funding offer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Did you read what was said when the state labour money was announced?
Look, I'm not a recent ALP voter, and i'm a supporter of MLG; there is no underlying political bias on my part.
It might sound pedantic to some but it's offended others.
Truth be told, it's not Daniel Andrew's State Government.
I think that if MLG had his time again he would have worded the State announcement a little differently.

Last edited:

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Is there any information about the Ikon Park masterplan? The image is intriguing.

View attachment 634828

Hopefully just a visual representation of a redevelopment and not actual plans. Hardly any seating up the popular end of the ground would make it such a dead zone. Also the loss of the best high vantage point at our home, the top tier of the pratt stand.

A hill/grassed area is a good idea but it should be where the current admin building is, not on the wing.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
Hopefully just a visual representation of a redevelopment and not actual plans. Hardly any seating up the popular end of the ground would make it such a dead zone. Also the loss of the best high vantage point at our home, the top tier of the pratt stand.

A hill/grassed area is a good idea but it should be where the current admin building is, not on the wing.

That's a retrospective suggestion for Dick Pratt and his architect, all they can do now is plan around the current infrastructure.

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
So we get 15 million but hawthorn get 130 million. Seems fair. Hawthorns new facility will be the best training facility in the country.

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
All raised by Tasmanian’s I bet.
Kinda hope it sends them broke and they have to relocate to Tassie.

It is pretty obvious if they are building a $130m facility in Victoria they have no reason to be in Tassie and no plan to ever really be Tasmanian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back