Universal Love Princes Park - 12th April 2018 Update - $20M Govt & AFL grant for redevelopment - Post #1390

(Log in to remove this ad.)

drunkill

All Australian
AFL Club
Carlton
Well we haven't had a Victorian PM in 30 years, nor one who likes footy over rugby or cricket. We all know ScoMo would rather build a new stadium for his cronulla sharks than invest in women's footy so federal funding might not happen until a change in government; which has to take place before the end of May.

And based on the polls the current coalition government will not deliver the next budget, it will be an ALP government and Shorten will splash some cash to a labor Victorian government if they remain in office to help with infrastructure.

As for state funding, that would not come with a liberal government according to what has already been said. Of course, the polls and the betting agencies are saying it is likely the incumbent state government will win too.

tl;dr: It will be fully funded ($40m) if Labor wins federal gov, won't get any funding if Liberals win vic gov.

Edit: From the letter to members last week:

Our Masterplan for the re-development of Ikon Park is also coming along well. We continue to work with the Federal Government in the hope they will match the state government’s support for our plans to significantly improve the facilities available here at Ikon Park, the home of women’s football.​

Probably means nothing is happening right now due to a change in leadership and all promises of funding across Australia being thrown out the window but a basic design plan is still being worked on in the meantime.

drunkill

All Australian
AFL Club
Carlton
And this is what we're up against in terms of the funding pie: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-road-oval-redevelopment-20180907-p502dv.html

Unfortunately for us, there have been calls to redevelop Richmond station and pedestrian access to the MCG for years so if something is tied into this it could get up.

Thankfully for us PP has a capacity of 24k while this would only have a capacity for AFLW games of under 10,000. But still... we need to step up our campaign too and secure Princes Park as the home of AFLW for the next decade or two.

Gethelred

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
And this is what we're up against in terms of the funding pie: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-road-oval-redevelopment-20180907-p502dv.html

Unfortunately for us, there have been calls to redevelop Richmond station and pedestrian access to the MCG for years so if something is tied into this it could get up.

Thankfully for us PP has a capacity of 24k while this would only have a capacity for AFLW games of under 10,000. But still... we need to step up our campaign too and secure Princes Park as the home of AFLW for the next decade or two.
I don't see why they'd have to be mutually exclusive, nor do I see why - if we're seeking both federal and state funding for the redevelopment - they cannot treat them both as separate infrastructure projects in the public interest.

I mean, it's a good news story for everyone involved; government(s) get to talk about jobs and infrastructure, Metro gets to talk about improved times and station capacity, AFL gets to be in the news over the off season for the right reasons. A twelve year old could make the case that doing both is a good idea.

drunkill

All Australian
AFL Club
Carlton
Sure, but if push comes to shove, I want us to get the funding ;) and for the AFL to chip into our redevelopment as well (we've already self financed a new playing surface to the tune of ~$1.5-2m)

It is also why I hope any redevelopment does not decrease the number of seats at Princes Park. If they do another horrible job like the administration building that really hurts us in the long run.

mediumsizered

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton

Not sure how I will break it to my wife that her parents' ashes may be dug up in the process of demolishing the Jack Dyer Stand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dangerousdane

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Richmond are wankers, that stand is a part of not only their clubs history but our cities history. As a lover of all the old VFL grounds, i would be pissed off it was knocked down.

I have similar issues with any PP funding and the removal of the Pratt stand, whats that wooden ship analogy? Enter it here.

Power Play

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
I'd love to see Carlton play home games at Princes Park again. It was a sad day when Carlton played their last game for premiership points there. What could have been if Jeff Kennett won the election instead of Steve Bracks. If I remember correctly the Liberal government had plans to renovate the ground had they got re-elected.

Out of the Melbourne clubs still based and train at their traditional home grounds (Richmond, Carlton, St Kilda, North and the Bulldogs) I'd still say that Carlton are the most likely to play home games at their training ground for premiership points again.

beowulf

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd love to see Carlton play home games at Princes Park again. It was a sad day when Carlton played their last game for premiership points there. What could have been if Jeff Kennett won the election instead of Steve Bracks. If I remember correctly the Liberal government had plans to renovate the ground had they got re-elected.

Out of the Melbourne clubs still based and train at their traditional home grounds (Richmond, Carlton, St Kilda, North and the Bulldogs) I'd still say that Carlton are the most likely to play home games at their training ground for premiership points again.
In many ways the removal of Princes park as a venue was an effort to remove home ground advantage from Victorian clubs. It worked very well. Geelong are the only team that has a real home town advantage any longer in Victoria.

Mind you, there have been so many short sighted decisions made about transport and parking and whatnot's around the area that making the ground a true venue again is going to be difficult. It could have been very different.

COBALT BLUE

All Australian
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
team yamaha
If Carlton was a marginal electorate, swinging between the major parties we'd have a 35,000 seat stadium with proper lighting, underground parking and the train station would have been built. Geelong have been gifted this by federal and state governments. Disgusting but that's pork barrelling for you. We had a Carlton premiership player as state planning minister and we couldn't get this thing sorted!!!
I suspect there may be some truth here...

thylacine60

Make me an Admin!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Insert Token EPL Club
way too much - it is in such poor condition - there would need to be a sound reason to piece it back together (which I would love) but ultimately the bulldozer is a much cheaper option - unfortunately I think the cost to retain the heritage elements whilst incorporating the practicalities of a functioning stand would be beyond reasonable

sosos

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
way too much - it is in such poor condition - there would need to be a sound reason to piece it back together (which I would love) but ultimately the bulldozer is a much cheaper option - unfortunately I think the cost to retain the heritage elements whilst incorporating the practicalities of a functioning stand would be beyond reasonable
Regardless of the cost, it's the club's responsibility to maintain it - part of being a good corporate citizen.

Top Bottom