Universal Love Princes Park Update

Tushay

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Watch the video at the top of this article: (link) or see the attached photo below.
It shows the inside of the Cat's new stand at Kardinia Park. We don't have as much room to work with nor as much budget but we won't have to worry about the supporter and corporate facilities as much as it will primarily be a training facility. I think something somewhat similar to that would be ideal in terms of maintaining seating and attractiveness of the stadium while still having adequate training facilities within and under the stand.
View attachment 486875

If Carlton was a marginal electorate, swinging between the major parties we'd have a 35,000 seat stadium with proper lighting, underground parking and the train station would have been built. Geelong have been gifted this by federal and state governments. Disgusting but that's pork barrelling for you. We had a Carlton premiership player as state planning minister and we couldn't get this thing sorted!!!

Honour

Debutant
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton will never play for points again at the ground .
With that in mind , if we can gain funding to make it the best possible training base it can be , that's gotta be a win for the club I suppose.
The plan seems to ensure Carlton never plays for points again there... totally unnecessary and political. The Cats plan above is more flexible, ticks more boxes and more attractive.

drewmont4

Debutant
Nov 15, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I believe that in other sports such as NBA, NFL & EPL teams have the home team advantage. While I have the opinion of the AFL has lost that home ground atmosphere to it. Geelong, Sydney, Gold Coast & GWS have there own home ground they don't have to share their ground

If there is a way we can get football back to Princess park I think we could become the powerhouse we all and truly love

3rd Grade Maggy

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2004
In the Finals ...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Southampton
I believe that in other sports such as NBA, NFL & EPL teams have the home team advantage. While I have the opinion of the AFL has lost that home ground atmosphere to it. Geelong, Sydney, Gold Coast & GWS have there own home ground they don't have to share their ground

If there is a way we can get football back to Princess park I think we could become the powerhouse we all and truly love
Not sure why nobody had thought of it before now.

Won't ever happen, but we'll see it as the home for AFLW

dragonsblues

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting to note Aleague teams and NBL teams are trying to own their own stadium to secure revenue. Considering the push to remove pokie revenue, the club is missing a huge opportunity with PP.

Such a shame we don't have anyone visionary on the board.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
If Carlton was a marginal electorate, swinging between the major parties we'd have a 35,000 seat stadium with proper lighting, underground parking and the train station would have been built. Geelong have been gifted this by federal and state governments. Disgusting but that's pork barrelling for you. We had a Carlton premiership player as state planning minister and we couldn't get this thing sorted!!!

lol
Yeah, thanks for nothing Harry! :p

3rd Grade Maggy

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2004
In the Finals ...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Southampton
Interesting to note Aleague teams and NBL teams are trying to own their own stadium to secure revenue. Considering the push to remove pokie revenue, the club is missing a huge opportunity with PP.

Such a shame we don't have anyone visionary on the board.
We do own the stadium. We don't get fixtured to play there. I swear some people are ******* goldfish

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
We do own the stadium. We don't get fixtured to play there. I swear some people are ******* goldfish
As I understand it, the Melbourne City Council own the stadium, although we do own some of the infrastructure (with debt attached).

I would very much doubt the Council would ever countenance the idea of selling the stadium to us or any other club. They would get drawn & quartered by their constituents if they even tried.

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Well we haven't had a Victorian PM in 30 years, nor one who likes footy over rugby or cricket. We all know ScoMo would rather build a new stadium for his cronulla sharks than invest in women's footy so federal funding might not happen until a change in government; which has to take place before the end of May.

And based on the polls the current coalition government will not deliver the next budget, it will be an ALP government and Shorten will splash some cash to a labor Victorian government if they remain in office to help with infrastructure.

As for state funding, that would not come with a liberal government according to what has already been said. Of course, the polls and the betting agencies are saying it is likely the incumbent state government will win too.

tl;dr: It will be fully funded ($40m) if Labor wins federal gov, won't get any funding if Liberals win vic gov.

Edit: From the letter to members last week:

Our Masterplan for the re-development of Ikon Park is also coming along well. We continue to work with the Federal Government in the hope they will match the state government’s support for our plans to significantly improve the facilities available here at Ikon Park, the home of women’s football.​

Probably means nothing is happening right now due to a change in leadership and all promises of funding across Australia being thrown out the window but a basic design plan is still being worked on in the meantime.

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
And this is what we're up against in terms of the funding pie: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-road-oval-redevelopment-20180907-p502dv.html

Unfortunately for us, there have been calls to redevelop Richmond station and pedestrian access to the MCG for years so if something is tied into this it could get up.

Thankfully for us PP has a capacity of 24k while this would only have a capacity for AFLW games of under 10,000. But still... we need to step up our campaign too and secure Princes Park as the home of AFLW for the next decade or two.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
And this is what we're up against in terms of the funding pie: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-road-oval-redevelopment-20180907-p502dv.html

Unfortunately for us, there have been calls to redevelop Richmond station and pedestrian access to the MCG for years so if something is tied into this it could get up.

Thankfully for us PP has a capacity of 24k while this would only have a capacity for AFLW games of under 10,000. But still... we need to step up our campaign too and secure Princes Park as the home of AFLW for the next decade or two.
I don't see why they'd have to be mutually exclusive, nor do I see why - if we're seeking both federal and state funding for the redevelopment - they cannot treat them both as separate infrastructure projects in the public interest.

I mean, it's a good news story for everyone involved; government(s) get to talk about jobs and infrastructure, Metro gets to talk about improved times and station capacity, AFL gets to be in the news over the off season for the right reasons. A twelve year old could make the case that doing both is a good idea.

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Sure, but if push comes to shove, I want us to get the funding ;) and for the AFL to chip into our redevelopment as well (we've already self financed a new playing surface to the tune of ~$1.5-2m)

It is also why I hope any redevelopment does not decrease the number of seats at Princes Park. If they do another horrible job like the administration building that really hurts us in the long run.

Back