Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

And this is what we're up against in terms of the funding pie: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-road-oval-redevelopment-20180907-p502dv.html

Unfortunately for us, there have been calls to redevelop Richmond station and pedestrian access to the MCG for years so if something is tied into this it could get up.

Thankfully for us PP has a capacity of 24k while this would only have a capacity for AFLW games of under 10,000. But still... we need to step up our campaign too and secure Princes Park as the home of AFLW for the next decade or two.
Not sure how I will break it to my wife that her parents' ashes may be dug up in the process of demolishing the Jack Dyer Stand.

Richmond are w***ers, that stand is a part of not only their clubs history but our cities history. As a lover of all the old VFL grounds, i would be pissed off it was knocked down.

I have similar issues with any PP funding and the removal of the Pratt stand, whats that wooden ship analogy? Enter it here.

I'd love to see Carlton play home games at Princes Park again. It was a sad day when Carlton played their last game for premiership points there. What could have been if Jeff Kennett won the election instead of Steve Bracks. If I remember correctly the Liberal government had plans to renovate the ground had they got re-elected.

Out of the Melbourne clubs still based and train at their traditional home grounds (Richmond, Carlton, St Kilda, North and the Bulldogs) I'd still say that Carlton are the most likely to play home games at their training ground for premiership points again.

I'd love to see Carlton play home games at Princes Park again. It was a sad day when Carlton played their last game for premiership points there. What could have been if Jeff Kennett won the election instead of Steve Bracks. If I remember correctly the Liberal government had plans to renovate the ground had they got re-elected.

Out of the Melbourne clubs still based and train at their traditional home grounds (Richmond, Carlton, St Kilda, North and the Bulldogs) I'd still say that Carlton are the most likely to play home games at their training ground for premiership points again.
In many ways the removal of Princes park as a venue was an effort to remove home ground advantage from Victorian clubs. It worked very well. Geelong are the only team that has a real home town advantage any longer in Victoria.

Mind you, there have been so many short sighted decisions made about transport and parking and whatnot's around the area that making the ground a true venue again is going to be difficult. It could have been very different.

If Carlton was a marginal electorate, swinging between the major parties we'd have a 35,000 seat stadium with proper lighting, underground parking and the train station would have been built. Geelong have been gifted this by federal and state governments. Disgusting but that's pork barrelling for you. We had a Carlton premiership player as state planning minister and we couldn't get this thing sorted!!!
I suspect there may be some truth here...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

way too much - it is in such poor condition - there would need to be a sound reason to piece it back together (which I would love) but ultimately the bulldozer is a much cheaper option - unfortunately I think the cost to retain the heritage elements whilst incorporating the practicalities of a functioning stand would be beyond reasonable

way too much - it is in such poor condition - there would need to be a sound reason to piece it back together (which I would love) but ultimately the bulldozer is a much cheaper option - unfortunately I think the cost to retain the heritage elements whilst incorporating the practicalities of a functioning stand would be beyond reasonable
Regardless of the cost, it's the club's responsibility to maintain it - part of being a good corporate citizen.

The Gardiner stand was at capacity for the inaugural AFLW match, no problem there except the fact that sitting in the western most bay you oculd only see two thirds of the ground as the admin building cuts off the view of the goals.

I think anything regarding expanding the space or internals of the Gardiner stand are in the too hard basket for now. Plus there is the council depot back up right behind the stand, if Carlton were to get control of that land back then you could argue for some sort of underground expansion with a modern office on top backing onto the rear of the Gardiner stand.

However, the club would rather replace the southern side of the oval instead of the moldy, rotting and literally falling apart inside (you can walk through it at aflw games) Heroes stand.

Which is a bit of a shame, I quite like how the Pratt stand sloped downwards, it allows for a good view of the skyline from the broadcast wing, which helps to set the location of Princes Park for those watching on tv. If anything the Heroes stand should get the wrecking ball and build it a few metres higher with actual seating on the top tier, not 300 odd seats in the corner of it with the rest of the space being wasted by a broken scoreboard.

The Gardiner stand was at capacity for the inaugural AFLW match, no problem there except the fact that sitting in the western most bay you oculd only see two thirds of the ground as the admin building cuts off the view of the goals.

I think anything regarding expanding the space or internals of the Gardiner stand are in the too hard basket for now. Plus there is the council depot back up right behind the stand, if Carlton were to get control of that land back then you could argue for some sort of underground expansion with a modern office on top backing onto the rear of the Gardiner stand.

However, the club would rather replace the southern side of the oval instead of the moldy, rotting and literally falling apart inside (you can walk through it at aflw games) Heroes stand.

Which is a bit of a shame, I quite like how the Pratt stand sloped downwards, it allows for a good view of the skyline from the broadcast wing, which helps to set the location of Princes Park for those watching on tv. If anything the Heroes stand should get the wrecking ball and build it a few metres higher with actual seating on the top tier, not 300 odd seats in the corner of it with the rest of the space being wasted by a broken scoreboard.
A disgusting display of self indulgence was the construction of this stand. It served no significant purpose at all.

A disgusting display of self indulgence was the construction of this stand. It served no significant purpose at all.

Can’t agree here. Maybe naming it the Elliott stand was indulgent as hell, but the significant corporate (for the time) facilities included were needed, sad as it is. We were ahead of the curve there with the way footy was going. Any rebuild to AFL standards would also need to include facilities along similar lines.

Can’t agree here. Maybe naming it the Elliott stand was indulgent as hell, but the significant corporate (for the time) facilities included were needed, sad as it is. We were ahead of the curve there with the way footy was going. Any rebuild to AFL standards would also need to include facilities along similar lines.
We weren't ahead of anything. In fact at the time of building this white elephant, the facilities for our players were up there with the worst in the competition. Worse still, the writing was already on the wall for suburban grounds & we got left behind on this as well.

FWIW, there will be no rebuild to AFL standards. The AFL do not need a suburban ground. Thankfully it is shaping up as the headquarters for the AFLW competition & this should result in some upgrading which will benefit the club as a whole.

We weren't ahead of anything. In fact at the time of building this white elephant, the facilities for our players were up there with the worst in the competition. Worse still, the writing was already on the wall for suburban grounds & we got left behind on this as well.

FWIW, there will be no rebuild to AFL standards. The AFL do not need a suburban ground. Thankfully it is shaping up as the headquarters for the AFLW competition & this should result in some upgrading which will benefit the club as a whole.

Are you talking about the Legends stand? Heroes stand is the John Elliott stand constructed in the 80's. Not sure how the writing was on the wall then for suburban grounds.

We weren't ahead of anything. In fact at the time of building this white elephant, the facilities for our players were up there with the worst in the competition. Worse still, the writing was already on the wall for suburban grounds & we got left behind on this as well..

I reckon our training facilities would have been more or less on par with other clubs in 1986.

Might it simply be a case of wanting the new facility to be alongside the existing hq? Would be odd to have them on opposite sides of the ground with disused grandstands between.

I didn't mind him building the ******* thing but he could have insisted mexico pay for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back