Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

He used to do the Morning Show on Channel 10 in the 70’s. He was a true blue Carlton Supporter.

A group of Melbourne University Students stole “Roy’s Wheel” from Channel 10 as a University Prank - Channel 10 had to keep it hush hush, when the Students discovered that the wheel was “weighted/biased”.

:p

Just heard on 3AW rumours that Josh Frydenberg Is announcing a 20m grant for the redevelopment of Princes Park. Any idea if this is true or what it might be for?

Hoping games back at home :) :)

Just heard on 3AW rumours that Josh Frydenberg Is announcing a 20m grant for the redevelopment of Princes Park. Any idea if this is true or what it might be for?

Could have said $200b, not likely to need to deliver on the promise. The only real hope will be if the other mob match the offer.

Nope. There will be a reduction in capacity with this redevelopment from all reports (less standing room)

We'll never play men's games there for premiership points, unless we got closer to 100m to upgrade an entire wing of the ground like Kardinia park and boost capacity, which won't happen.

The club should have a long term (15 year) vision to try to make it a 35k ground, become that boutique stadium the afl wants so they can host gold coast and gws games there for melbourne teams, but that can only happen if they do this redevelopment with a larger picture in mind, like getting new training spaced underneath this redeveloped stand so the admin building can be demolished in the future with no loss of useable space.

CEO has stated we want bigger crowds, large enough to get out of the docklands going forward.

Nope. There will be a reduction in capacity with this redevelopment from all reports (less standing room)

We'll never play men's games there for premiership points, unless we got closer to 100m to upgrade an entire wing of the ground like Kardinia park and boost capacity, which won't happen.

The club should have a long term (15 year) vision to try to make it a 35k ground, become that boutique stadium the afl wants so they can host gold coast and gws games there for melbourne teams, but that can only happen if they do this redevelopment with a larger picture in mind, like getting new training spaced underneath this redeveloped stand so the admin building can be demolished in the future with no loss of useable space.

CEO has stated we want bigger crowds, large enough to get out of the docklands going forward.
Nothing immediate will change that, but the numbers will be revisited every 5-10 years, and might see AFL games returning there in say... 2030.

Nothing immediate will change that, but the numbers will be revisited every 5-10 years, and might see AFL games returning there in say... 2030.
Hopefully Simmo gets to play his last game there.

................and we spent it all on this.

View attachment 599499
Photo by yours truly.

Surprised no one else noticed this at training the other day. You'd think they could've cleaned up the area behind it and painted over the "Yes Optus" sign. How many years ago did that sponsorship expire??? Still some improvement, no matter how small, is better than none...........I guess.

some will call me pedantic for this, but when you look at essendons facilities, west coasts new stadium, and geelongs home stadium, is it any wonder that Geelong finish in the finals almost every year, west coast have snatched another flag, and that little turncoat chose essendon over us? Its an absolute disgrace that an AFL club would have their facilities in this sort of condition.

i'll edit this and include a tangible example

little dylan gets off the plane, he has a big injury history and is concerned about his body. he rocks up to princes park and sees that, he then rocks up to windy hill or essendon airport or whatever it is now and sees their shiny new facilities. do you honestly think that has no bearing on where he chooses????

unbelievable to me. maybe i'm being petty. I just think it's embarrassing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

some will call me pedantic for this, but when you look at essendons facilities, west coasts new stadium, and geelongs home stadium, is it any wonder that Geelong finish in the finals almost every year, west coast have snatched another flag, and that little turncoat chose essendon over us? Its an absolute disgrace that an AFL club would have their facilities in this sort of condition

It’s a Carlton thing, Amigo.

Most money headed our way doesn’t necessarily get there.

some will call me pedantic for this, but when you look at essendons facilities, west coasts new stadium, and geelongs home stadium, is it any wonder that Geelong finish in the finals almost every year, west coast have snatched another flag, and that little turncoat chose essendon over us? Its an absolute disgrace that an AFL club would have their facilities in this sort of condition.

little dylan gets off the plane, he has a big injury history and is concerned about his body. he rocks up to princes park and sees that, he then rocks up to windy hill or essendon airport or whatever it is now and sees their shiny new facilities. do you honestly think that has no bearing on where he chooses????

You're basing a comparison of facilities between us and others based on our scoreboard?

Drawing a pretty long bow there.

The money is coming, be patient.

$20M has been promised by state Labor, there are plans online. The club has been pushing for the federal government to match the offer. Its believed that Federal labor will match the bid. If not we have $20M.

The money is for upgrades to train facilities, viewing facilities and is largely down to Ikon Park being the AFLs preferred venue for AFLW. No plans for it to be used for premiership points again.

Unless we get some crazy rich person to fund a redevelopment privately.

Its great for the club even though i think they are knocking down the wrong grandstand to do it.

They still don’t have training lights at Melrose Drive, they used that money to pay out James Hird’s contract.

They still have to go off-site to Windy Hill ;) if they need to train on an oval with lights.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

genuine question, what's wrong with our facilities? aren't they less than a decade old? do we have to have a multi-million dollar upgrade every 3 years?

got me ****** - wadda they want? lift bricks, chin-ups on doorways, run round the block = premierships..........
No wonder it’s referred to as “Princess” Park, ffs

Ikon Park set for $15m upgrade boost from Canberra

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-05/ikon-park-set-for-15m-upgrade-boost-from-canberra

CARLTON'S Ikon Park upgrade is set to be supercharged thanks to $15 million about to be pledged by the Federal Government.
The announcement from Treasurer Josh Frydenberg is expected to coincide with Carlton's first AFLW home game for the season against Adelaide on Sunday.

The $15 million is on top of $20 million pledged by the Victorian Government in the lead up to last year's state election.
Those funds were contingent on the federal government also coming to the party.

Big news, though I believe they were chasing $20m from the feds.

Wonder if they will just downscale plans. Nothing's been submitted to town planning yet so plenty of flexibility in that regard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back