DangerousD

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Wiki info on princes park...
22,000 capacity currently but in 1945 the vfl GF was held there with 68,000 attendees? If this is correct why can’t be remodelled to fit ~40-50,000? Then we should be able to play most of our home games there. As an example Cats ground only has a capacity of 36,000.
Im sure if you donated the $150-$200M it would take to do the development, the club would happily do it.

Trigg made it clear during his time that the AFL had no interest and we don’t have the $$$ to do it ourselves.

It’s a shame, as the memories I have of going to games with 28,000 there as a teen, had a better atmosphere than the G with 80,000.

The $35M redevelopment will keep our hone ground relevant and a base for our club for years to come, which is a fantastic result and one that most other clubs have lost.

I still wished they knocked down the Elliott stand though, even though I always thought the Pratt was ugly as, it’s what makes PP for me.

thylacine60

Post-Human
Jun 4, 2006
Elwood FFS
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Insert Token EPL Club
Wiki info on princes park...
22,000 capacity currently but in 1945 the vfl GF was held there with 68,000 attendees? If this is correct why can’t be remodelled to fit ~40-50,000? Then we should be able to play most of our home games there. As an example Cats ground only has a capacity of 36,000.
troops (US?) were stationed on the G so the GF was played at PP - they were sitting between the fence and the boundary line for the bloodbath...........

Accidental genius

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Im sure if you donated the $150-$200M it would take to do the development, the club would happily do it.

Trigg made it clear during his time that the AFL had no interest and we don’t have the $$$ to do it ourselves.

It’s a shame, as the memories I have of going to games with 28,000 there as a teen, had a better atmosphere than the G with 80,000.

The $35M redevelopment will keep our hone ground relevant and a base for our club for years to come, which is a fantastic result and one that most other clubs have lost.

I still wished they knocked down the Elliott stand though, even though I always thought the Pratt was ugly as, it’s what makes PP for me.
ok if that is the sort of capital required and with potentially only 10-11 likely carlton home games per season it cant be a financially viable option. not sure how much of a financial impact womens games being played there would have.

Robbo's my hero

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 6, 2007
Sunbury
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
troops (US?) were stationed on the G so the GF was played at PP - they were sitting between the fence and the boundary line for the bloodbath...........
My mum did that at the MCG in 1947 when Fred Stafford kicked the winning goal with seconds remaining. My sister was there as well but had to wait until 1948 to find out who won the game.

DangerousD

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
ok if that is the sort of capital required and with potentially only 10-11 likely carlton home games per season it cant be a financially viable option. not sure how much of a financial impact womens games being played there would have.
As a comparison, Kardinia park redevelopment has cost $175M to date, the 5th and final stage of the project is tipped to cost a further $100M, after all of that, if they get that far, they will have a very nice modern stadium, that can hold 40,000 people.

Another comparison, the newest rugby league stadium, 30,000 capacity, opened last year, cost $360M

DangerousD

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Interesting article and an interesting insight in to what will happen in a post Covid landscape, the part in there about Carlton being able to essentially start work without neighbours and residents having a chance to appeal. All levels of government are going to be desperate to get work moving and it seems we will benefit.

The heritage officers being concerned over the redevelopment is a bit confusing to me, it doesn’t really state what they are worried about, we are demolishing a stand that isn’t heritage listed and as far as I know, not touching the one that is.

I don’t see anyway that we can have the facility ready for season 2021, it’s mid August and the season starts in Feb, that’s very quick to spend $40M

(Log in to remove this ad.)

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The heritage officers being concerned over the redevelopment is a bit confusing to me, it doesn’t really state what they are worried about, we are demolishing a stand that isn’t heritage listed and as far as I know, not touching the one that is.

I don’t see anyway that we can have the facility ready for season 2021, it’s mid August and the season starts in Feb, that’s very quick to spend $40M
We are building ontop of where the current carpark is and then also adding more carparking to the area, taking up more parkland.

The carpark should be underground, under where the current foyer/front part of the admin building is now.

It won't be ready for next season, but one of the 'sheds' which will hold more change rooms will be built first, then the rest of the upgrades adjoining that building. We'll find out the plans soon if the club is about to submit them.

Although don't get too excited for the actual area/stand/fan areas, we're losing capacity and second tier seating/viewing height advantages. We will get some sort of grass hill on the Southern wing though, eventually.

Aphrodite

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aphrodite

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Today's email ...

Alternate text

Dear Aph,

Our vision for a re-imagined Ikon Park continues to move forward.

We are pleased to inform you that after an extensive design process, Stage One of the Ikon Park redevelopment will shortly commence with the proud support of both the Victorian Government and Australian Government and approval of the City of Melbourne.

Stage One will focus on high performance areas of Ikon Park, with internal works to include the establishment of:
  • New and refurbished AFLW and AFL locker rooms, situated alongside each other
  • New and expanded medical rooms
  • New and expanded gym
  • Upgraded administration area
These works will commence in the coming weeks, so as to minimise the disruption to both of our female and male football programs as we head into the pre-season periods for both our teams.

Furthermore, we are pleased to advise that the Victorian Planning Minister has approved and gazetted the planning scheme amendment for Ikon Park. These special planning controls are a significant step in delivering the masterplan for the redevelopment of our facility.

We will now proceed to lodge our Stage Two plans with the City of Melbourne for their consideration and approval.

This is the largest, fully-funded infrastructure project for Ikon Park, to remain the home of the Carlton Football Club and the home of AFLW. The objective is to provide fully integrated, elite training and education facilities for our athletes, which will give us a substantial competitive advantage when attracting players and staff to our club.

This project is funded under the Australian Government’s CDG Programme and the Victorian State Government Women and Girls in Sport initiative.

We look forward to sharing further updates with you, as we progress with the approval process and construction.

This is an exciting time for the Club. Thank you for your continued support.

Mark LoGiudice
President
Member ID: 1201017

BlueGum

Jan 16, 2016
The banana lounge
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Megahertz
Any chance they can make a special little box on top of the ground with 360 cameras included, along with silver service meals and top shelf drinks, for track watchers? Come on CFC...Be fair. :)
Mike the oval. Speaker to the silver service zone.

Live streaming to BF
sound, The Smoking Gun photos and windows1 observations about his son.

Summer sorted.

HARKER

Hall of Famer
Oct 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Mike the oval. Speaker to the silver service zone.

Live streaming to BF
sound, The Smoking Gun photos and windows1 observations about his son.

Summer sorted.
Just give me/us the mike and I/we can give coaching a run....Brilliant :)

We're way too organised now, although several years ago one could have been tempted to tell players/coaches what to do.
Not that we'd have it right but just that it all seemed so amateur compared to now.

huddler

Senior List
Feb 5, 2011
Melbourne via Ireland
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtic, Northcote Park
But it has some of the best viewing of the oval at the moment, on the wing up high right next to the coaches boxes.

Yeah it is outdated and terrible, but if all we get as a replacement is a hill section (neat) and then single level seating bays without much depth to them, it will be a downgrade form a supporters point of view. All the training stuff required can sit underneath the stands or out the back of them, there doens't need to be a wall and a building behind only ~10 rows of seating.

That is poor planning for 25 years down the line. Who knows what happens with docklands, maybe we're poised to become a 40k stadium as a replacement by the time docklands is demolished, the land there is far to valuable to be a stadium, it is worth billions.

I just don't want us building and admin building 2.0, which has in the longrun, turned out to be shortsighted with the introduction of AFLW and AFL pre-season games returning to princes park.
The upper tier of the Pratt Stand is the single best vantage point at the ground. Would be a terrible shame for fans if this was a casualty of the redevelopment :(

Remove this Banner Ad