Universal Love Princes Park Update

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
What exactly are you suggesting they build at Princes Park Robbo ?
A Social Club facility. Not interested in poker machines, TAB etc. Somewhere to enjoy a meal and a soft drink. Instead of going to the pub to watch the footy you can head to Carlton. And when the footy’s not on then a place to hang out with Carlton supporters. Generates revenue for the club.

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The seating isn't deep enough in that render (if that is what it might look like) leading to a deadzone in that area of the ground, no lessons learnt from the current admin building design in regards to match day.

The seating isn't deep enough in that render (if that is what it might look like) leading to a deadzone in that area of the ground, no lessons learnt from the current admin building design in regards to match day.

Is there a plan available?

Whilst I am glad that this going ahead and excited with what it means for our AFLW side, it is bittersweet with the iconic Pratt Stand making way for the new facilities. This is also the final nail in the coffin for anyone who thought we could still play any AFL matches here with seating capacity set to reduce due to this.

View attachment 888000
The Pratt Stand is horrible, and to be bulldozed for the new facilities is a god send. The last time any of the facilities werr cleaned must have been well before the start of the current century.

true enough my very, very, good friend, but even so, I was still surprised by the state of the dunnies under the stand when I visited last year........

1591621035190.jpeg

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The Pratt Stand is horrible, and to be bulldozed for the new facilities is a god send. The last time any of the facilities werr cleaned must have been well before the start of the current century.
But it has some of the best viewing of the oval at the moment, on the wing up high right next to the coaches boxes.

Yeah it is outdated and terrible, but if all we get as a replacement is a hill section (neat) and then single level seating bays without much depth to them, it will be a downgrade form a supporters point of view. All the training stuff required can sit underneath the stands or out the back of them, there doens't need to be a wall and a building behind only ~10 rows of seating.

That is poor planning for 25 years down the line. Who knows what happens with docklands, maybe we're poised to become a 40k stadium as a replacement by the time docklands is demolished, the land there is far to valuable to be a stadium, it is worth billions.

I just don't want us building and admin building 2.0, which has in the longrun, turned out to be shortsighted with the introduction of AFLW and AFL pre-season games returning to princes park.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
A Social Club facility. Not interested in poker machines, TAB etc. Somewhere to enjoy a meal and a soft drink. Instead of going to the pub to watch the footy you can head to Carlton. And when the footy’s not on then a place to hang out with Carlton supporters. Generates revenue for the club.

That would be excellent

Have an injuried player and past player do a talk then have the interstate games on a big screen

Set up some jumoing castles for the kids, you'd get a thousand people and generate some cash

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
But it has some of the best viewing of the oval at the moment, on the wing up high right next to the coaches boxes.

Yeah it is outdated and terrible, but if all we get as a replacement is a hill section (neat) and then single level seating bays without much depth to them, it will be a downgrade form a supporters point of view. All the training stuff required can sit underneath the stands or out the back of them, there doens't need to be a wall and a building behind only ~10 rows of seating.

That is poor planning for 25 years down the line. Who knows what happens with docklands, maybe we're poised to become a 40k stadium as a replacement by the time docklands is demolished, the land there is far to valuable to be a stadium, it is worth billions.

I just don't want us building and admin building 2.0, which has in the longrun, turned out to be shortsighted with the introduction of AFLW and AFL pre-season games returning to princes park.

👏

If we finally renovate the Gardiner Stand and make it fire-safe then we won't much miss The Pratt Stand. It's still the best spot to view from when you're not sitting in possum crap and falling between the cracks.

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Apart from a third of the stand where you can't see the goals because the training room blocks the view.

(ignoring the other third closed off due to rotting wood)

Wiki info on princes park...
22,000 capacity currently but in 1945 the vfl GF was held there with 68,000 attendees? If this is correct why can’t be remodelled to fit ~40-50,000? Then we should be able to play most of our home games there. As an example Cats ground only has a capacity of 36,000.

It would be nice to get one or two home games a year even if we only had 20000 seats.

Problem is it will only be up against low ranking interstaters

Apart from a third of the stand where you can't see the goals because the training room blocks the view.

You're right. It's worse than I thought.

BTW, has Hawthorn finished paying for The Pratt Stand yet? Heh.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
22,000 capacity currently but in 1945 the vfl GF was held there with 68,000 attendees? If this is correct why can’t be remodelled to fit ~40-50,000? Then we should be able to play most of our home games there. As an example Cats ground only has a capacity of 36,000.

Im sure if you donated the $150-$200M it would take to do the development, the club would happily do it.

Trigg made it clear during his time that the AFL had no interest and we don’t have the $$$ to do it ourselves.

It’s a shame, as the memories I have of going to games with 28,000 there as a teen, had a better atmosphere than the G with 80,000.

The $35M redevelopment will keep our hone ground relevant and a base for our club for years to come, which is a fantastic result and one that most other clubs have lost.

I still wished they knocked down the Elliott stand though, even though I always thought the Pratt was ugly as, it’s what makes PP for me.

troops (US?) were stationed on the G so the GF was played at PP - they were sitting between the fence and the boundary line for the bloodbath...........

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Im sure if you donated the $150-$200M it would take to do the development, the club would happily do it.

Trigg made it clear during his time that the AFL had no interest and we don’t have the $$$ to do it ourselves.

It’s a shame, as the memories I have of going to games with 28,000 there as a teen, had a better atmosphere than the G with 80,000.

The $35M redevelopment will keep our hone ground relevant and a base for our club for years to come, which is a fantastic result and one that most other clubs have lost.

I still wished they knocked down the Elliott stand though, even though I always thought the Pratt was ugly as, it’s what makes PP for me.
ok if that is the sort of capital required and with potentially only 10-11 likely carlton home games per season it cant be a financially viable option. not sure how much of a financial impact womens games being played there would have.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
troops (US?) were stationed on the G so the GF was played at PP - they were sitting between the fence and the boundary line for the bloodbath...........
My mum did that at the MCG in 1947 when Fred Stafford kicked the winning goal with seconds remaining. My sister was there as well but had to wait until 1948 to find out who won the game.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
ok if that is the sort of capital required and with potentially only 10-11 likely carlton home games per season it cant be a financially viable option. not sure how much of a financial impact womens games being played there would have.

As a comparison, Kardinia park redevelopment has cost $175M to date, the 5th and final stage of the project is tipped to cost a further $100M, after all of that, if they get that far, they will have a very nice modern stadium, that can hold 40,000 people.

Another comparison, the newest rugby league stadium, 30,000 capacity, opened last year, cost $360M

Back