Universal Love Princes Park Update

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

THE Carlton Football Club’s Masterplan took a significant step closer to becoming reality on Wednesday morning.

The Hon Minister Martin Pakula and Senator the Hon Jane Hume joined Carlton President Mark LoGiudice at Ikon Park on Wednesday morning to celebrate the progression of the construction works.

Stage 1 of the Ikon Park Masterplan is now well underway and will see the Blues possess the first fully-integrated football facilities in the League.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
wAjR3lSC

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
Have to be impressed with what MLG has achieved as president so far, including debt reduction. Like to see him get some reward for the hard work and effort he has put in over the past many years. My only qualm is that we don't get to play some home games at PP but I'm still confident there is a wild card yet up his sleeve.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Have to be impressed with what MLG has achieved as president so far, including debt reduction. Like to see him get some reward for the hard work and effort he has put in over the past many years. My only qualm is that we don't get to play some home games at PP but I'm still confident there is a wild card yet up his sleeve.
Not going to happen. We've already got more members this year than have ever fit into the place (62,986 at 1945 VFL Grand Final apparently). The current capacity is 24k while our average home attendance in 2019 was 46,730. The aim is to outgrow Docklands, not shrink down to fit back at PP.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
Not going to happen. We've already got more members this year than have ever fit into the place (62,986 at 1945 VFL Grand Final apparently). The current capacity is 24k while our average home attendance in 2019 was 46,730. The aim is to outgrow Docklands, not shrink down to fit back at PP.

What are the crowd no. for Freo, GC, WC, GWS games? Anyhow......

DirtyLeeds

Premium Platinum
May 27, 2018
Soldiers Hill, Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golf handicap 16
I actually asked the very same question at the forum, your response is the Judge's almost verbatim, uncanny actually

SammaGilberto

Premiership Player
May 2, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
What are the crowd no. for Freo, GC, WC, GWS games? Anyhow......
Carlton vs WCE - Marvel Stadium - 32,802
Carlton vs GC - Marvel Stadium - 31,765

Carlton v Gold Coast Suns - Marvel Stadium - 28,025
Carlton v West Coast Eagles - MCG - 27,900
Carlton v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium - 21,430
Carlton v GWS Giants - Marvel Stadium - 16,697

Carlton v Gold Coast Suns - Marvel Stadium - 24,968
Carlton v GWS Giants - Marvel Stadium - 23,194

So with that and our membership numbers only growing we'll easily be getting over the max capacity @ Princes Park.

I was at all of these games bar the West Coast 2019 one, I am sad I had to remember the 2018 GWS, Gold Coast and Freo games @ Marvel... Tom Lynch kicking 8, Freo 12.5 77 - Carl 0.7 - 7 at half time and GWS outplaying us with 16players in the last qtr...

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

I have no doubt that, if you stump up the $150M to get the stadium up to current standards, the board, the AFL and the fans wouldn't have a problem playing there.

I have no doubt that, if you stump up the $150M to get the stadium up to current standards, the board, the AFL and the fans wouldn't have a problem playing there.
We hold the lease on the PP #2 oval as well.

The club should sit down with the AFL, the ACB and the Melbourne City council and discuss building a new stadium there for VFL/AFLW games with the occasional AFL games there and do A grade cricket matches there in the summer. Make it a 15-25k seater with further room for about 20k standing. Get the government, the AFL, the ACB and the Council to stump up 120 million (30 million each).

Sell the naming rights to the new stadium at 2.5 million a year and stump up the remaining money ourselves. We get to keep the original PP for our training ground and the AFL and the ACB get a 25-45k boutique stadium so that low selling interstate teams can make a bit more money from packed houses... instead of going to somewhere like Docklands where 20k people might show up and they made sod all!

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

The club should sit down with the AFL, the ACB and the Melbourne City council and discuss building a new stadium there for VFL/AFLW games with the occasional AFL games there and do A grade cricket matches there in the summer. Make it a 15-25k seater with further room for about 20k standing. Get the government, the AFL, the ACB and the Council to stump up 120 million (30 million each).

Sell the naming rights to the new stadium at 2.5 million a year and stump up the remaining money ourselves. We get to keep the original PP for our training ground and the AFL and the ACB get a 25-45k boutique stadium so that low selling interstate teams can make a bit more money from packed houses... instead of going to somewhere like Docklands where 20k people might show up and they made sod all!

For reference, Geelongs stadium, which is relatively small has already cost $175M, the 5th and final stage has been costed at another $100M, this is for a 40,000 capacity ground.

The newest NRL stadium with a 30,000 capacity which opened 2 years ago, cost $360M.

The club failed in its bit to have a 2nd tier added to the Gardener stand in the 90s and had to drastically scale back the design of the Legends stand to get the project past the council, there is no way we could get a new stadium next door even if we found the money.

The AFL don’t seem to need a new stadium, I would love to see in the future, the Elliott stand knocked down and a new stand constructed to cater for AFLW expansion, but who knows maybe we could see a miracle one day and the club wins a big lotto and we could try and get games back there, but it will need a miracle.

welshy85

Rookie
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton

Apart from the money issue mentioned above and the fact that it would be too small for us straight away, building stands around oval 2 would mean moving/knocking down a large kids playground, tennis courts, cricket/soccer club rooms and walking paths. The lack of room is another reason this will not happen.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
For reference, Geelongs stadium, which is relatively small has already cost $175M, the 5th and final stage has been costed at another $100M, this is for a 40,000 capacity ground.

The newest NRL stadium with a 30,000 capacity which opened 2 years ago, cost $360M.

The club failed in its bit to have a 2nd tier added to the Gardener stand in the 90s and had to drastically scale back the design of the Legends stand to get the project past the council, there is no way we could get a new stadium next door even if we found the money.

The AFL don’t seem to need a new stadium, I would love to see in the future, the Elliott stand knocked down and a new stand constructed to cater for AFLW expansion, but who knows maybe we could see a miracle one day and the club wins a big lotto and we could try and get games back there, but it will need a miracle.

Add to that weve taken 20+ years to pay off the legends stand.......

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Leaving the rest aside, you arent getting 2.5m a year in naming rights for a single team stadium. As a guide, heres what other stadiums were being paid a couple of years ago.

namingrights.png

Leaving the rest aside, you arent getting 2.5m a year in naming rights for a single team stadium. As a guide, heres what other stadiums were being paid a couple of years ago.

View attachment 1054063
It wouldn’t be a single team stadium. It‘d have our AFLW and VFL teams based there along with any other VFL teams that need a stadium for when they have larger matches and their grounds won’t support them. The ACB could also use the ground as a boutique stadium to play twenty20 games at in the summer. Grade A cricket teams could use it for big games as well.

However, I just put it out there as a possible option as an alternative to completely rebuilding Princes Park (isn’t going to happen because of the heritage stands there).

Back