Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting article and an interesting insight in to what will happen in a post Covid landscape, the part in there about Carlton being able to essentially start work without neighbours and residents having a chance to appeal. All levels of government are going to be desperate to get work moving and it seems we will benefit.

The heritage officers being concerned over the redevelopment is a bit confusing to me, it doesn’t really state what they are worried about, we are demolishing a stand that isn’t heritage listed and as far as I know, not touching the one that is.

I don’t see anyway that we can have the facility ready for season 2021, it’s mid August and the season starts in Feb, that’s very quick to spend $40M

The heritage officers being concerned over the redevelopment is a bit confusing to me, it doesn’t really state what they are worried about, we are demolishing a stand that isn’t heritage listed and as far as I know, not touching the one that is.

I don’t see anyway that we can have the facility ready for season 2021, it’s mid August and the season starts in Feb, that’s very quick to spend $40M
We are building ontop of where the current carpark is and then also adding more carparking to the area, taking up more parkland.

The carpark should be underground, under where the current foyer/front part of the admin building is now.

It won't be ready for next season, but one of the 'sheds' which will hold more change rooms will be built first, then the rest of the upgrades adjoining that building. We'll find out the plans soon if the club is about to submit them.

Although don't get too excited for the actual area/stand/fan areas, we're losing capacity and second tier seating/viewing height advantages. We will get some sort of grass hill on the Southern wing though, eventually.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Today's email ...

Alternate text

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]Dear Aph,

Our vision for a re-imagined Ikon Park continues to move forward.

We are pleased to inform you that after an extensive design process, Stage One of the Ikon Park redevelopment will shortly commence with the proud support of both the Victorian Government and Australian Government and approval of the City of Melbourne.

Stage One will focus on high performance areas of Ikon Park, with internal works to include the establishment of:
  • New and refurbished AFLW and AFL locker rooms, situated alongside each other
  • New and expanded medical rooms
  • New and expanded gym
  • Upgraded administration area
These works will commence in the coming weeks, so as to minimise the disruption to both of our female and male football programs as we head into the pre-season periods for both our teams.

Furthermore, we are pleased to advise that the Victorian Planning Minister has approved and gazetted the planning scheme amendment for Ikon Park. These special planning controls are a significant step in delivering the masterplan for the redevelopment of our facility.

We will now proceed to lodge our Stage Two plans with the City of Melbourne for their consideration and approval.

This is the largest, fully-funded infrastructure project for Ikon Park, to remain the home of the Carlton Football Club and the home of AFLW. The objective is to provide fully integrated, elite training and education facilities for our athletes, which will give us a substantial competitive advantage when attracting players and staff to our club.

This project is funded under the Australian Government’s CDG Programme and the Victorian State Government Women and Girls in Sport initiative.

We look forward to sharing further updates with you, as we progress with the approval process and construction.

This is an exciting time for the Club. Thank you for your continued support.

Mark LoGiudice
President
Member ID: 1201017[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

Any chance they can make a special little box on top of the ground with 360 cameras included, along with silver service meals and top shelf drinks, for track watchers? Come on CFC...Be fair. :)
Mike the oval. Speaker to the silver service zone.

Live streaming to BF
sound, The Smoking Gun photos and windows1 observations about his son.

Summer sorted.

Mike the oval. Speaker to the silver service zone.

Live streaming to BF
sound, The Smoking Gun photos and windows1 observations about his son.

Summer sorted.

Just give me/us the mike and I/we can give coaching a run....Brilliant :)

We're way too organised now, although several years ago one could have been tempted to tell players/coaches what to do.
Not that we'd have it right but just that it all seemed so amateur compared to now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it has some of the best viewing of the oval at the moment, on the wing up high right next to the coaches boxes.

Yeah it is outdated and terrible, but if all we get as a replacement is a hill section (neat) and then single level seating bays without much depth to them, it will be a downgrade form a supporters point of view. All the training stuff required can sit underneath the stands or out the back of them, there doens't need to be a wall and a building behind only ~10 rows of seating.

That is poor planning for 25 years down the line. Who knows what happens with docklands, maybe we're poised to become a 40k stadium as a replacement by the time docklands is demolished, the land there is far to valuable to be a stadium, it is worth billions.

I just don't want us building and admin building 2.0, which has in the longrun, turned out to be shortsighted with the introduction of AFLW and AFL pre-season games returning to princes park.

The upper tier of the Pratt Stand is the single best vantage point at the ground. Would be a terrible shame for fans if this was a casualty of the redevelopment :(

The upper tier of the Pratt Stand is the single best vantage point at the ground. Would be a terrible shame for fans if this was a casualty of the redevelopment :(

Best view, but the stand itself is horrible.

Plenty of space out the back of the Gardiner stand to build on and connect the admin building and whatever replaces the heroes stand in the future.

Sadly, it is a council storage zone for Serco (the bastards) so until we can kick them out of the place, the club cannot use it. Unfortunantly they moved in because the Gatekeepers house which they used previously had the storage yard removed and returned to parkland and the Melbourne City Council were too cheap to fine another spot for them.

You'd have the current facility disconnected from the redeveloped facility. Doesn't work

I assume that’s the reason why but I was doing some work at the back of the Gardiner stand not long ago and there is a bit of space to upgrade and join to the Elliott, if I’m not mistaken we had plans to put a building above the Gardiner in the early 2000s, there is room.

It's a great outcome to get these facilities but I'm extremely disappointed that it comes at the cost of a few thousand seats. It will really hurt the atmosphere and buzz of the place to have half the ground as just buildings.

The Pratt stand had the best views, could fit a lot of people and was quite iconic with its curvy shape so it's sad to see it gone. Seating wise, what's left? The shitty Elliott stand staring straight into the sun, the heroes stand which is essentially just an admin building itself with very few seats and the run-down Gardiner stand which has restricted views due to the big training building next to it. I wish they had put more thought into accommodating for spectators (look at Brisbane's new training base for example). I think we are going to live to regret this as the AFLW grows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back