Universal Love Princes Park Update

Sep 2, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The first game of footy I attended I sat in the Pratt Stand with the old man, just so happened to coincide with my favorite player at the time (Brad Pearce) getting KO'd against the Crows.

Such a great spot to watch the footy.

I was there that game but don’t remember where I sat.

I was still at school those days and came with a classmate who was a crows fan and he was decked in crows gear so everyone would look when we walked to our seats but no one ever said anything to him during the game or any of the games he attended with me at PP. He appreciated that.

I just looked up the details as I didn’t remember - it was round 15 in 95 and we were down 29 points in the 3rd but ended up winning by 33 in the end. Clape kicked 7 and SOS 2 when he moved to the forward line to get us on a roll.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

KJP7

Senior List
Mar 22, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I was there that game but don’t remember where I sat.

I was still at school those days and came with a classmate who was a crows fan and he was decked in crows gear so everyone would look when we walked to our seats but no one ever said anything to him during the game or any of the games he attended with me at PP. He appreciated that.

I just looked up the details as I didn’t remember - it was round 15 in 95 and we were down 29 points in the 3rd but ended up winning by 33 in the end. Clape kicked 7 and SOS 2 when he moved to the forward line to get us on a roll.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We always came home with a wet sail when kicking to the Heatley Stand.

I think that was the day that Jameson broke Kernahan's hand by punching it all day from behind.

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Shmick.

Need to chuck that tiled mural back up though and make a new one for the opposite wall (unless it wasn't touched, it was right next to the (now old) main entrance. Unless they're moving it to a more public area in stage 2

The Blueseum

History of the Carlton Football Club
Jul 26, 2007
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Shmick.

Need to chuck that tiled mural back up though and make a new one for the opposite wall (unless it wasn't touched, it was right next to the (now old) main entrance. Unless they're moving it to a more public area in stage 2

That is a false wall in that corridor put there to protect the mural from construction work.

I'm guessing but it looks like this video would have been taken a couple of months ago. I have been in there a couple of times and there is a lot of additional stuff.

The balcony overlooking the ground near the kitchen is amazing, completely different view of the ground, you are basically metres up in the air but on the boundary line. Would be amazing to watch a game from there.

BlueLocke

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
These facilities will have a big impact on player retention (and development).

Match day is just one part of the players’ week - they spend the other 40-odd hours at the Club and this looks like a bloody good place to spend it.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
For reference, Geelongs stadium, which is relatively small has already cost $175M, the 5th and final stage has been costed at another $100M, this is for a 40,000 capacity ground.

The newest NRL stadium with a 30,000 capacity which opened 2 years ago, cost $360M.

The club failed in its bit to have a 2nd tier added to the Gardener stand in the 90s and had to drastically scale back the design of the Legends stand to get the project past the council, there is no way we could get a new stadium next door even if we found the money.

The AFL don’t seem to need a new stadium, I would love to see in the future, the Elliott stand knocked down and a new stand constructed to cater for AFLW expansion, but who knows maybe we could see a miracle one day and the club wins a big lotto and we could try and get games back there, but it will need a miracle.

Back then Elliott was at war with the AFL. If we had the AFL onside back then we’d have been able to get it to happen.

Would of been awesome to get Princes Park to be a 40-50k stadium with lights, but it was not to be.

Still I would never say never. Wtf are giants v Suns at Ballarat when they could play there?

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Back then Elliott was at war with the AFL. If we had the AFL onside back then we’d have been able to get it to happen.

Would of been awesome to get Princes Park to be a 40-50k stadium with lights, but it was not to be.

Still I would never say never. Wtf are giants v Suns at Ballarat when they could play there?

Nt sure if the AFL were the problem, the Legends stand was meant to hold an extra 5,000 people, with plans needing to be scaled down, to get past council. Elliott also failed in his efforts to build on top of the Gardiner stand, due to council objections again.

Never say never, but if someone out there could chip in $150M then it might happen.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
FCWj5pgVkAUShPQ

FCWj6v_UYAUf5mp

FCWj75KUcAAHXBG

FCWj87TVEAEihW1

peakie

Debutant
Aug 31, 2006
Thornbury
AFL Club
Carlton
Do you remember- in 1954 I was just 5 years old. Standing on 4 metal beer cans to view the game - through the smoke screen of cigarettes and rain coats on old men- no women. At our backs the old press box and men’s toilets- a tin fence above some terra cotta tiles with urine running to ... who knows where!!
Some great memories over the years- finally watching the game on the other wing with my late dad and brothers then my own sons. What a joy and privilege!
What next....a premiership or two!!!

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton
Do you remember- in 1954 I was just 5 years old. Standing on 4 metal beer cans to view the game - through the smoke screen of cigarettes and rain coats on old men- no women. At our backs the old press box and men’s toilets- a tin fence above some terra cotta tiles with urine running to ... who knows where!!
Some great memories over the years- finally watching the game on the other wing with my late dad and brothers then my own sons. What a joy and privilege!
What next....a premiership or two!!!
I remember somewhere between the Gardiner and Heatley Stand red brick paving. That's my earliest memory, must have been late 1950's. Plus the old dilapidated hand operated score board, northern side of the outer goals, back pocket.

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Looked at the planning report submitted to the melbourne city council to get the listed heights of the towers, not sure if they include the antennae/lightning rod or if its just measured from the top of the main structure.

These two towers are RL104.3m according to the planning report, the remaining two (eastern end towers) will be RL101.3 as they're slightly uphill.

Western light towers 60.8m tall, Eastern light towers 58.8m so they will be equal height at the top/viewed from a distance.

The playing surface is RL43.5m

RL = relative level aka australian height datum aka mean sea level, so the light towers are 60m tall give or take a little for two of them.

PXL_20211130_020739667.jpg

PXL_20211130_020816964.jpg

Would've been bloody handy when we wanted them in 1996. Jeez I hate NIMBY campaigners
till someone wants to build an industrial stink-pond in your backyard..........get a clue...........

Back