List Mgmt. Priority Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Gut feel is no priority pick this year but if Brouch is just outside band 1, our shitness might get that across the line. Next year's 3 win season will get us something extra. Problem is it will all be wasted if our philosophy on football strategy isn't turned on it's head.
I guess. Surely there are new assistant coaches coming end of year.

You might recall when we asked about priority picks a few years back the AFL all of a sudden decided state league mature players were the best form of priority picks.

They quickly reverted back to draft picks when only gold coast had their hand out.

You won't get one this season, but will probably get good compo if you lose Crouch
I think we've proven that mature aged, state league level players aren't going to help us.

MacKay, Knight, Douglas, Wilson, Gibbs.

Bloody hell, we've even tried state league coaches and look where that's got us.

I think we've proven that mature aged, state league level players aren't going to help us.

MacKay, Knight, Douglas, Wilson, Gibbs.

Bloody hell, we've even tried state league coaches and look where that's got us.
I wasn't implying for a second that it would help....just that the AFL makes it up as it goes along. We traded our two nature age players for picks we could use in trades....McAdam to you guys and some bloke to Geelong.

I know what you mean, but we aren't bad, we're putrid. We've been bad for a couple of seasons before this.

I don't agree with this. We were an average/below average team in '18 and '19, winning 12 and 10 games respectively.

You're dreaming if you think we can draw upon our '18 and '19 season results to support a call for a priority pick.

We're not getting a PP this year, but we probably should be asking. In the AFL its a simple case of the "squeaky wheel gets the oil". We need to plant the tought in the AFL's mind.

Asking for a PP this year, may mean the AFL is more inclined to offer band 1 compo for Brad Crouch.

It then plants the seeds for next year if things don't turn up at all.

Got nothing to lose if you ask for one ?

Club's have to apply for one these days, are the likes of Chapman, Riccutio and Fagan man enough to swallow their pride and ask the AFL for one ?

I would say a mid first round pick (around pick 10) would probably be fair, if you go the entire season winless and the context of so many quality player exits in the past few years, but as I say, I fear the entrenched power brokers at the Crows might be too proud/stubborn to ask for one.

This is no doubt a concern. Currently the only reason these guys are still in their roles is hubris. Their performance as a collective has been woeful, their reputations are in shatters, yet they continue to believe they're the best people to take then club forward. Our club needs to put pride aside for a period and actually do what needs to be done to rebuild our club.

I guess. Surely there are new assistant coaches coming end of year.
I think that's a given. There wasn't much scope for Nick's to choose his own assistants because he was hired so late that everyone was already contracted for this year before he was appointed. It'll be a different story this year and, with football departments shrinking due to COVID, there should be a lot more assistants on the market,and they'll probably be more willing to move over here if it means staying in the AFL system.

I agree with some of the other posts, we won't ask or get a priority pick but if the Crouch deal is borderline they will make the forumula work in our favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got nothing to lose if you ask for one ?

Club's have to apply for one these days, are the likes of Chapman, Riccutio and Fagan man enough to swallow their pride and ask the AFL for one ?

I would say a mid first round pick (around pick 10) would probably be fair, if you go the entire season winless and the context of so many quality player exits in the past few years, but as I say, I fear the entrenched power brokers at the Crows might be too proud/stubborn to ask for one.
Chapman, Roo and Fagan have no shame so they would definitely ask for one but likely the response coming back from the AFL would be "We'll help you upon all 3 of you standing down immediately." You don't give handouts to mismanaged clubs and even the AFL know this.

I would accept what Carlton and GC received in 2018.
The plan would see the teams able to recruit or on-trade the state league players without giving up a draft pick. They could then receive draft picks in return.

We are putrid, but have a few injuries. We could have snagged the game against Essendon or Sydney with a bit of luck. Unless we go winless this year and next then I can't see it happening. Then again, the AFL did give good picks to Brisbane and now look at them. Also gave much uneeded picks to Carlton. They also gave pick 3 to Melbourne for Frawley so we cannot underestimate their corruption/poor decision making.
What picks?

They gave us one end of first round pick.

I know people are saying to get rid of this thread etc but we have now lost 12 in a row? With a very good chance of losing 20+ in a row. This is getting to unprecedented levels of bad. We aren't even close to being a competitive team. Definitely be asking for end of first round this year.

There isn't really any pride in the way we play, coach or run this team so why would we be too proud to ask for assistance?
You’re not even close to Gold Coasts winless streak from last year.

In fact, in a 17 game season, you don’t even have a chance to match their run of 19 consecutive loses in a single season record.

So you’re not even close to unprecedented levels of bad.

Was interested in this so thought I’d run the numbers and yeah it’s definitely not right!

Number of players taken in first round of national draft in past four years
Gold Coast 12
GWS 10
Carlton 7
Port 7
Fremantle 7
Bulldogs 5
Adelaide 5
Brisbane 5
Sydney 4
North 3
Geelong 3
St Kilda 3
Richmond 3
Melbourne 2
West Coast 2
Collingwood 2
Hawthorn 1
Essendon 1
Brisbane should be 6.
McCluggage
Berry
Rayner
Bailey
Starcevich
Smith
(I’d almost say 8, as Alex Witherden and Deven Robertson were second round picks, but feel like first round talent)

In fact, in a 17 game season, you don’t even have a chance to match their run of 19 consecutive loses in a single season record.

Just wait til you see us play next year.

I know you want to fly the flag for your fellow fledgling QLD based club, but in all honesty, the Suns at least had several decent kids developing and coming through the season, and in several of those 19 in a row losses, they were unlucky/showed promising glimpses.

And this winless streak of The Crows carries on from the last quarter of last season (they have now gone a whole Calendar year without a win, admittedly the COVID19 situation is unique, but that is an unprecedented stat in modern age of footy/AFL.

Context is everything, even before they drafted Rowell and Noah Anderson, most footy pundits could see the Suns had a bright future despite their losing streak. Can you honestly say the same thing about the Current Crows ?

Thing you are dead wrong about them being unprecedented bad with all due respect.

Yes, a lot of their problems are self-inflicted wounds, but in all honesty, the AFL need to throw The Crows a bone,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back