Opinion Priority Picks - Moving Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people are just over compromised drafts in general with PP of the 00s, expansion drafts of this decade, crap FS rules, etc.
Good to hear that they're over compromised drafts. And yet they're happy to have let half the competition proceed with the same (or greater) priority pick gains with no repercussions? I'm all for less compromising of drafts in general, provided those who benefited from priority picks in the past pay restitution for what they were awarded, my own club included. Until then, people ought to stop whinging.

Again, is there anything wrong with:
Pick 1 - last place
Pick 18 - Premiers?
Especially with the introduction of future trading.
If there was nothing wrong with it, we wouldn't have FA compensation picks, father-sons or academies. All drafts will be compromised drafts until and unless these measures are removed.

Priority picks fall within that category of measures, and the rules have stated for a decade that the AFL are capable of awarding them whenever and wherever they think it's a good idea. Clubs knew this, therefore they accepted that risk when they made future trades. I didn't see a big outcry when Brisbane got a priority pick in 2016 even though other clubs had made future trades for picks that were bumped backwards as a result.

Oh good grief, better talent will do nothing to help a club? Riiiiiight....

Yeah, good point. High draft picks has always fixed the Gold Coast's problems. That's why they're such a big success now, well done genius.

Yeah, good point. High draft picks has always fixed the Gold Coast's problems. That's why they're such a big success now, well done genius.
If you're a fool who pays zero attention to the facts on the ground, then yeah. You can't compare the club now to what it was between 2010 and 2017, because the administration, coaches and facilities are all completely different. As is the culture after they shipped out all the dropkicks who didn't want to be there. Talent now will be useful in 3-5 years time, and there's nothing to suggest the current staff are incapable of developing that talent.

Ah yes, and how many teams have won premierships with a roster full of first and second year players and few veterans? Your arguments are just nonsensical.

Yeah, Gold Coast are awesome. Let's buy a pet membership next year for the brainworm that you've apparently contracted.

Why not? Come to the games with me, and you can regale me with your genius explanation of how gun players don't help teams win games.

Ok Johnny Bananas

Pick 11 is too much. The AFL cannot put all other clubs out this much. Very unfair. GC had quality playing reserves on the weekend. They traded away quality like Jarrod Lyon. Why reward them for such idiocy? Pick 11 is too much. Why should others pay the price for GC trading away fully developed talent for peanuts?

Pick 11 isn't a certain star, far from it. Moving a bunch of teams down one pick means almost nothing.

Would you prefer GC to just rot at the bottom of the ladder forever?

They need some currency to get themselves out of the hole they are currently in.

Pick 11 isn't a certain star, far from it. Moving a bunch of teams down one pick means almost nothing.

Would you prefer GC to just rot at the bottom of the ladder forever?

They need some currency to get themselves out of the hole they are currently in.

They wouldnt be at the bottom if they had traded better. They traded away their right to pick Clayton Oliver, traded away pick 2 for an under performing Lachie Weller. Couldve kept it and picked up Stephenson and used a second round pick on a mature Kelly instead of a speculative kid in Powell. Traded away Jarrod Lyon, regularly play quality kids in the twos. It is GC own doing. The rest of the league shouldnt be put out because of it.

Here we are again and this time it's North on the table.

How about a different approach.

8 wins or less in two seasons grants an end of first round priority pick
13 wins in three seasons grants a start of first round priority pick. (no more than 5 wins in one season)

Statistically this has only happened twice since 2010 with Brisbane and Gold Coast.

Carlton is the only time I've seen in my lifetime lingering on the bottom for more than 3 seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here we are again and this time it's North on the table.

How about a different approach.

8 wins or less in two seasons grants an end of first round priority pick
13 wins in three seasons grants a start of first round priority pick. (no more than 5 wins in one season)

Statistically this has only happened twice since 2010 with Brisbane and Gold Coast.

Carlton is the only time I've seen in my lifetime lingering on the bottom for more than 3 seasons.

How about a de-loading factor of 50% if you have never had one.

As a club we have stood by whilst other clubs have pillaged the system in the last 2 decades, if we win 1 or 2 games for the season I fully expect #2 to be a serious discussion.

The weekend was in the top 10 AFL/VFL defeats of all time.

I mean, Gold Coast fit your criteria 2 seasons ago and were given #2, #11, #19 and the entire Darwin Zone.

I don’t think top end kids is the way to go, the pre draft selection that I think Gold Coast were afforded is the way to go.

Having pre draft access to the better mature agers could be the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The midseason draft already achieves this. You can't have a midseason draft then give these concessions 5 months later.

A club gets potentially the 15th best 19+ year old in the country? Wow, awesome.

An additional top end 18 year old is not going to turn around a team in North’s position to be more competitive in the short term.

I think the ability to recruit a couple of out of contract players as if they are free agents even if they aren’t qualified as free agents, with free agent compensation to the losing club, makes far more sense to me.

Similar to some of the Gold Coast and GWS startup concessions.

If North could add a couple of seasoned AFL players at the end of this year AND not give up their natural draft picks doing so - so they could choose to trade those picks for additional seasoned players or invest the picks into top end youth - that’s far more likely to get them competitive.

Melbourne getting Tyson (yes, he was damn good for a couple of years there!), Vince, Melksham, Garlett and Hibberd in through trades did far more for immediate competitiveness and morale than the multiple top end 18 year olds, including priority picks, ever did.

An additional top end 18 year old is not going to turn around a team in North’s position to be more competitive in the short term.

I think the ability to recruit a couple of out of contract players as if they are free agents even if they aren’t qualified as free agents, with free agent compensation to the losing club, makes far more sense to me.

Similar to some of the Gold Coast and GWS startup concessions.

If North could add a couple of seasoned AFL players at the end of this year AND not give up their natural draft picks doing so - so they could choose to trade those picks for additional seasoned players or invest the picks into top end youth - that’s far more likely to get them competitive.

Melbourne getting Tyson (yes, he was damn good for a couple of years there!), Vince, Melksham, Garlett and Hibberd in through trades did far more for immediate competitiveness and morale than the multiple top end 18 year olds, including priority picks, ever did.

A couple of additional top end 18 year olds literally turned the GC culture around.

As a club that hasn't pillaged the system like Melbourne, Carlton, Hawthorn, Richmond and the GC in recent years. It's a rich argument to say we can't get the same concessions that propelled 2 of those 5 into major success.

A couple of additional top end 18 year olds literally turned the GC culture around.
That’s not what turned the culture.

As a club that hasn't pillaged the system like Melbourne, Carlton, Hawthorn, Richmond and the GC in recent years. It's a rich argument to say we can't get the same concessions that propelled 2 of those 5 into major success.
No priority pick won a premiership for Richmond. Jarryd Roughead the only one that won one for Hawthorn.

Out dated system, there is a reason they got rid of it. we don’t need to go back to it

That’s not what turned the culture.

No priority pick won a premiership for Richmond. Jarryd Roughead the only one that won one for Hawthorn.

Out dated system, there is a reason they got rid of it. we don’t need to go back to it

Tell me, did the remnants of any trades of their priority picks play in their premierships?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back