Priority picks - it was only 19

Remove this Banner Ad

It just seems to me that the Afl is playing God. Waiting to see if we r likely to trade players and and see what picks we may get in return before making a decision on the PP. Maybe they r considering a pick in the top 3 but
God forbid if we actually had 4 picks inside the top 10. Cant have that.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-29/fagan-would-be-great-for-the-lions-says-mitchell said:
The club has applied for a priority pick but the AFL Commission deferred a decision on that matter on Monday until further information was available.
Gradual little bits of information coming out about the 'why' of the deferral.

I just don't understand why they will delay the announcement. WTF did they do for the whole day? It would have taken them literally 30 minutes at max to go over our proposal and decide that we need at least pick 3... I can understand why they might not publicly announce it with GF week and all though but the club would at least know what pick (if we are to get a PP that is) we will be getting surely? It just seems like they are either waiting to see who we appoint as coach or if we are going to trade out Rocky+Hanley for high picks which might reduce our PP we could be getting (AFL thinking here).

I just don't understand why they will delay the announcement. WTF did they do for the whole day? It would have taken them literally 30 minutes at max to go over our proposal and decide that we need at least pick 3... I can understand why they might not publicly announce it with GF week and all though but the club would at least know what pick (if we are to get a PP that is) we will be getting surely? It just seems like they are either waiting to see who we appoint as coach or if we are going to trade out Rocky+Hanley for high picks which might reduce our PP we could be getting (AFL thinking here).
Agreed. The logic doesn't make sense to me, but when they say they are waiting "until further information is available", a few things spring to mind:
- Our compliance with their coaching pick, or, what the coach negotiates to sign up for us
- Our compliance with their trade strategy for us (whether they think we should trade out certain players, or whether they want us to trade up the draft) and whether we lose any through retention (Green, Gardiner, Hanley)
- Whether the AFL are trying to convince a player or two to nominate us as a club for trade/FA.
- Maybe they're waiting to see potential funding for the training base from the government. See what else they have to fork out before giving us additional concessions (they'll cop it in Vic if they give us more money plus pick 3).

Can't think of any other information they'd be waiting for.

Seems like they're waiting for the coach announcement. Looks like we've been nudged in a certain direction.

You would hope that they're not waiting until after they see what our trade period looks like before handing it out. i mean you'd be pretty pissed if we ended up trading for a few first round picks and they turned around and said we'll give you end of first round because you've already got a few first round picks and it would look bad if we gave you another. We'll just ignore that you had to trade out some of your best players for them. But we're talking about the AFL here.

You would hope that they're not waiting until after they see what our trade period looks like before handing it out. i mean you'd be pretty pissed if we ended up trading for a few first round picks and they turned around and said we'll give you end of first round because you've already got a few first round picks and it would look bad if we gave you another. We'll just ignore that you had to trade out some of your best players for them. But we're talking about the AFL here.

Feels like we are being wedged.

Trade out guys like Rock/Han and they say....well you already have lots of picks now......there you go ......have crummy Pick 19

Don't trade out /lose players and they say.....well you have adequate experience, a pretty good developing playing list and guys like Beams and Christensen coming back.....there you go......have crummy Pick 19.

So crummy Pick 19 it's almost certainly to be.

They just want to tailor their "reasoning" to whatever circumstances are prevailing when the time comes.

Feels like we are being wedged.

Trade out guys like Rock/Han and they say....well you already have lots of picks now......there you go ......have crummy Pick 19

Don't trade out /lose players and they say.....well you have adequate experience, a pretty good developing playing list and guys like Beams and Christensen coming back.....there you go......have crummy Pick 19.

So crummy Pick 19 it's almost certainly to be.

They just want to tailor their "reasoning" to whatever circumstances are prevailing when the time comes.

If I didn't know better I would think you were suggesting that the Commission was not run primarily on the basis of ethics, accountability, fairness and honour!

Agreed. The logic doesn't make sense to me, but when they say they are waiting "until further information is available", a few things spring to mind:
- Our compliance with their coaching pick, or, what the coach negotiates to sign up for us
- Our compliance with their trade strategy for us (whether they think we should trade out certain players, or whether they want us to trade up the draft) and whether we lose any through retention (Green, Gardiner, Hanley)
- Whether the AFL are trying to convince a player or two to nominate us as a club for trade/FA.
- Maybe they're waiting to see potential funding for the training base from the government. See what else they have to fork out before giving us additional concessions (they'll cop it in Vic if they give us more money plus pick 3).

Can't think of any other information they'd be waiting for.
Logic? This is the organisation that gave us the worst draw in the competition and gifted Collingwood 16 games at the MCG.

I just don't understand why they will delay the announcement. WTF did they do for the whole day? It would have taken them literally 30 minutes at max to go over our proposal and decide that we need at least pick 3.
Circle jerk springs to mind re the VFL Commission.

I still think it's got to be pick 3 or it's bordering on a waste of time. Sure pick 19 or 21 is better than punch in the guts but if the AFL are serious in helping our club move forward it needs to be a pick that will have a big and almost immediate impact. Pick 3 should be a player that plays 200 games - Pick 19 could be anything from 20 games to 200. Didn't our parents always say to us "if you do something do it properly".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was thinking someone like Wells, I read somewhere he could have been offered $600,000 pa from the pies. If the Roos were to get compo after their 1st, it would turn 11 into 12
Couldnt imagine $600,000 being enough to be in the top 5% so wouldnt be a first round compo surely.

Couldnt imagine $600,000 being enough to be in the top 5% so wouldnt be a first round compo surely.
Saw a GC poster saying wells deal is similar to malcheski's & age is factored into the FA banding. Malcheskis compo was end of 2nd round

Was thinking someone like Wells, I read somewhere he could have been offered $600,000 pa from the pies. If the Roos were to get compo after their 1st, it would turn 11 into 12

Fair enough. I tend to agree with Dlions that even if the offer is as big as is rumoured, it still shouldn't be anywhere near first round compensation.

If we got a PP @ 11, it would push the Roos' first back (11 being a "pick before the finalists"). So we'd have 11, and the Roos 12. And if the Roos got a first-round FA compo, that would be pick 13.

Pretty sure they are waiting to see if we trade Rockliff and Hanley. If we do for first round picks, lower PP.

Also, waiting to see if Essendon trades pick 1.

I don't think $600k would be enough for band 1. Even if the sum just got in it would be an eyebrow raising instance that a perennially injury prone 31 year old was able to garner a first round pick in compensation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back