News Prison Bar guernsey 2020 released

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoke to someone from The Port Store who said that they will be stocking these all year round, no matter how many times they sell out.
That was my expectation when I decided not to rush to buy it now and pick one up from the store at Alberton during the season.

So lets say the average selling price is $115, could we sell 35,000 of them via the Port store and raise $4m from sales?? I know its not profit, but you'd like to think we can net 1/4 to 1/3rd of gross sales.

I wonder what the deal is when we sell via online? Do we just get a net fee per jumper or gross revenue take the online companies processing fee?

A massive increase in merchandise sales should help our argument to wear the bars more often, as it affects our revenue streams and profitability. Tell the AFL to help us out and we don't have to get extra distributions.

The Wookie did this summary from 2018 annual reports what clubs sold for all their merchandise for the clubs that revealed that info. Port suppresses its figures. No surprise the 2018 premiers top the list.

• West Coast - $3,939,331
  • Geelong - $2,368,611
  • Essendon - $1,844,974
  • Hawthorn - $1,840,054
  • Fremantle - $1,414,662
  • Carlton - $1,372,793
  • Western Bulldogs - $1,195,131
  • Melbourne - $1,081,232
  • Sydney - $766,558
  • North Melbourne - $765,518
  • Brisbane - $714,133
  • St Kilda - $513,703

Top 5 in 2017 were the following - Doggies premiership effect in play. Richmond put their figures in with membership and game day ticket sales so we don't see the effect of their premierships.
  • Western Bulldogs - $2,537,563
  • West Coast - $2,331,242
  • Hawthorn - $2,088,983
  • Essendon - $2,066,030
  • Geelong - $2,065,559

Last edited:
Ordered mine when I was at the Club today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

35k would be around 10% of our supporting base. Difficult, but not out of the world.
I don't for one moment think our actual supporting base is anywhere near that.... let alone people willing to put money towards Port.

I don't for one moment think our actual supporting base is anywhere near that.... let alone people willing to put money towards Port.
Our fan base is in the 250k-300k range.

But like all clubs, their fans can be represented by a normal distribution curve with plenty on the left hand side of the curve who don't buy a membership, who don't buy merchandise, who don't go to games, but will watch our games on TV, some often, some rarely, will smile when we win, take note of stories about us in media and when asked who do you barrack for, will say Port.

One could say you barrack with your voice, and support with your wallet, but most supporters just start off as barrackers when kids and don't own a wallet, let alone have much in it.

So lets say the average selling price is $115, could we sell 35,000 of them via the Port store and raise $4m from sales?? I know its not profit, but you'd like to think we can net 1/4 to 1/3rd of gross sales.

I’ve always been curious as to the availability of the prisonbar as a mass-produced retail item in the wake of the 2014 EF.

Remember, the previous three times they were worn at AFL level this was expressly forbidden, with only limited runs of matchworn guernseys being auctioned and framed, and in the case of 2013, a limited run exclusively sold to members only.

The 2014 snafu occurs and all of a sudden they’re sold all over the country.

Was a deal done with Collingwood as the effective owners of the Magpie emblem to give them an increased cut of the profits over and above the equalisation fund?

It’s just always seemed puzzling given Eddie’s long-standing recalcitrance.

I’ve always been curious as to the availability of the prisonbar as a mass-produced retail item in the wake of the 2014 EF.

Remember, the previous three times they were worn at AFL level this was expressly forbidden, with only limited runs of matchworn guernseys being auctioned and framed, and in the case of 2013, a limited run exclusively sold to members only.

The 2014 snafu occurs and all of a sudden they’re sold all over the country.

Was a deal done with Collingwood as the effective owners of the Magpie emblem to give them an increased cut of the profits over and above the equalisation fund?

It’s just always seemed puzzling given Eddie’s long-standing recalcitrance.

Maybe the club actually grew some balls (remembering this was in that glorious 2013-2014 period where the club couldn't put a foot wrong, as opposed to the rest of the last 15 years) and just instructed ISC to do a run of them without even asking permission from our holy overlords at Collingwood?

Maybe the club actually grew some balls (remembering this was in that glorious 2013-2014 period where the club couldn't put a foot wrong, as opposed to the rest of the last 15 years) and just instructed ISC to do a run of them without even asking permission from our holy overlords at Collingwood?

Also possible.

One could say you barrack with your voice, and support with your wallet, but most supporters just start off as barrackers when kids and don't own a wallet, let alone have much in it.
I'm of the belief both clubs have significantly less.

100k us, maybe 150k them.

I've been to Chicago Bulls and LA Lakers games, I like them. I barely classify myself as a real supporter. I don't see people who occasionally hear a score and say oh that's nice, a supporter.

I'm of the belief both clubs have significantly less.

50k us, maybe 75k them.

I've been to Chicago Bulls and LA Lakers games, I like them. I barely classify myself as a real supporter. I don't see people who occasionally hear a score and say oh that's nice, a supporter.
Do you mean supporters or fans? There is a difference. That's why I said fans.

I saw Pete Townsend interviewed on the PBS Newshour over lunch today, and if someone asked me are you a fan of The Who's music, I would say yeah I am, but I have never supported them by buying any of their records, or merchandise, or gone to one of their concerts, or actively sought out their website and fan forums etc, but i like some of their music.

Those Roy Morgan surveys are reasonable guestimates of the fan base of a club, especially for clubs from WA, SA and Vic. Fans go from very, very casual to very, very passionate as reflected in those surveys and its a consistent methodology each year.

Take my brother for example, he hasn't been to a game for about 5 years, used to go to 1 or 2 games a year before he had kids, then it was a game once in a blue moon, never been a member, but watches Port on TV when he is home on a Friday or Saturday night and we are on TV, will ask me what is going on at the club every now and then, and calls himself a Port fan and his two girls call themselves Port fans and are even less attached than him. Similar story with his wife re her being a crows fan and a similar level of attachment and support for them over the years. Its very casual and if they were surveyed they would say they are port and crows fans respectively.

Do you mean supporters or fans? There is a difference. That's why I said fans.

I saw Pete Townsend interviewed on the PBS Newshour over lunch today, and if someone asked me are you a fan of The Who's music, I would say yeah I am, but I have never supported them by buying any of their records, or merchandise, or gone to one of their concerts, or actively sought out their website and fan forums etc, but i like some of their music.

Those Roy Morgan surveys are reasonable guestimates of the fan base of a club, especially for clubs from WA, SA and Vic. Fans go from very, very casual to very, very passionate as reflected in those surveys and its a consistent methodology each year.

Take my brother for example, he hasn't been to a game for about 5 years, used to go to 1 or 2 games a year before he had kids, then it was a game once in a blue moon, never been a member, but watches Port on TV when he is home on a Friday or Saturday night and we are on TV, will ask me what is going on at the club every now and then, and calls himself a Port fan and his two girls call themselves Port fans and are even less attached than him. Similar story with his wife re her being a crows fan and a similar level of attachment and support for them over the years. Its very casual and if they were surveyed they would say they are port and crows fans respectively.

Not sure what it's like in Victoria, but I assume WA would have plenty of `fans' for both AFL clubs who have never been to games, or bought merchandise etc, etc.

I suspect the tingles would have a fairly high figure in this state due to that franchise being sold to the nuffie types as the `pride of SA', even though there were apparently something like 12-14 interstate born players in their 22 on gf day in 2017.

As examples I have two female relatives who are about 10 years apart in age, the younger of the two aged 50 has never been to a game of football in her life, or bought merchandise of any description, but she is a `red hot ' tingle's barracker who cuts things out of the paper to stick on her walls, particularly if they play finals.

The older of the two wouldn't have attended a game since she was a very young kid in the late 1950's when her father was fullback for Mallala, and she is a Port supporter, but she also has never bought merchandise or joined as a member.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back