Remove this Banner Ad

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I don't think the AFL have control over the prison bar guernsey design, just the club logo.

We're selling the woolen guernseys as we speak because they only have the old magpies logo on it, something the AFL don't control.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't think the AFL have control over the prison bar guernsey design, just the club logo.

We're selling the woolen guernseys as we speak because they only have the old magpies logo on it, something the AFL don't control.
Or we just got them made before the AFL got vindictive.

Well see whether we can get more once they sell out.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Hey guys, my two cents worth...

so afl say you can’t have the black and white prison bars, get them all back for all home games...

create a new home jumper, prison bars with light teal to replace the white. Afl can’t stop you from doing that, each year go a bit lighter and lighter with the teal.

screw the pies and screw the afl, good luck in your fight.
Do this but with very light silver/ grey (like the colour of our away kit) replacing the white instead of teal!
I can’t see a problem at all with us wearing a black and silver prison bar jumper!

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It’s a shame they’re so expensive, not everyone has $250 spare to splash on footy merch. There would be plenty of demand at a more reasonable price point. It’s fine to sell premium products but we should always have more a more affordable option available for people to buy. Imagine how many Prison Bars we would’ve sold this week if they were $100-$120.

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Or we just got them made before the AFL got vindictive.

Well see whether we can get more once they sell out.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think it's this because if the AFL owned the rights to the design they'd be able to stop us selling them whether we'd made them or not.

I'm almost certain it's specifically the club and AFL logos that are trademarked, and I believe we could sell the SANFL guernsey if we removed the club logo.

It's amazing how Geelong and Carlton, who have the same colours, have managed to co-exist for 150 years and yet Collingwood can't manage it and try to ride roughshod over the entire league.

the bigger issue is once port Adelaide moved to the afl, Collingwood started changing their guernsey to be mainly black so the argument I’d be using is the pies had stolen port Adelaide magpies guernsey design. Look at Collingwood in 1996, pretty sure it’s a white kit with black stripes.
I’d be trying to go down that angle, afl made you guys change it, and then pies started stealing your historical black prison bar design.
All imo.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Not sure if this has been posted...

Apparently the above document was produced to support the case for wearing the PB guernsey and was sent to the AFL. The irony is I found the link in the Graham Cornes column on why we should 'stop sooking and get on with playing football'. At least Murdoch got something right.

1619817457336.png

Isn't it great to see the likes of Robbie Gray, Travis Boak and Charlie Dixon wearing the same guernsey as Harold Oliver wore over 100 years ago? It is also great to see Brad Ebert playing the same guernsey his father, uncle and cousin wore while playing for Port.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
the bigger issue is once port Adelaide moved to the afl, Collingwood started changing their guernsey to be mainly black so the argument I’d be using is the pies had stolen port Adelaide magpies guernsey design. Look at Collingwood in 1996, pretty sure it’s a white kit with black stripes.
I’d be trying to go down that angle, afl made you guys change it, and then pies started stealing your historical black prison bar design.
All imo.
Yes, it was a laugh to hear Korda the other night claim that the Collingwood jumper was iconic when it's not even the one they wore throughout the 20th century. McGuire, the supposed traditionalist, is the one who changed it to the current, less attractive design, which always looked to me like a ripoff of the jumper worn by Swan Districts in the WAFL.

I attended a trial game that Port played against Collingwood in 1993 where Port wore the PB and Collingwood wore their traditional jumper (I still have the photos I took that night). It wasn't diffucult to tell the teams apart. It was actually less of a clash than the likes of Richmond-Essendon, Fremantle-Melbourne or even Colingwood-North Melbourne.

If my memory of the history serves me correct, I believe that Port won the 1951 SANFL premiership wearing the Collingwood-style jumper. Now, if Port were proposing to wear that jumper in the AFL, I think Collingwood would have reasonable grounds to object. But it's ridiculous for them to object to Port Adelaide wearing a uniquely Port Adelaide jumper. And it's even more ridiculous for the AFL, which claims to be a professional organisation, to entertain such objections, thereby giving credibility to the notion that one club is so special and exceptional that it deserves to hold veto rights over the resonable actions of other clubs.

Last edited:
May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Yes, it was a laugh to hear Korda the other night claim that the Collingwood jumper was iconic when it's not even the one they wore throughout the 20th century. McGuire, the supposed traditionalist, is the one who changed it to the current, less attractive design, which always looked to me lke a ripoff of the jumper worn by Swan Districts in the WAFL.
I just posted this on the AFL board, it absolutely does my head in.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes, it was a laugh to hear Korda the other night claim that the Collingwood jumper was iconic when it's not even the one they wore throughout the 20th century. McGuire, the supposed traditionalist, is the one who changed it to the current, less attractive design, which always looked to me like a ripoff of the jumper worn by Swan Districts in the WAFL.

I attended a trial game that Port played against Collingwood in 1993 where Port wore the PB and Collingwood wore their traditional jumper (I still have the photos I took that night). It wasn't diffucult to tell the teams apart. It was actually less of a clash than the likes of Richmond-Essendon, Fremantle-Melbourne or even Colingwood-North Melbourne.

If my memory of the history serves me correct, I believe that Port won the 1951 SANFL premiership wearing the Collingwood-style jumper. Now, if Port were proposing to wear that jumper in the AFL, I think Collingwood would have reasonable grounds to object. But it's ridiculous for them to object to Port Adelaide wearing a uniquely Port Adelaide jumper. And it's even more ridiculous for the AFL, which claims to be a professional organisation, to entertain such objections, thereby giving credibility to the notion that one club is so special and exceptional that it deserves to hold veto rights over the resonable actions of other clubs.
Not to mention the fact that they claim their home kit and away kit are distinctly different yet the prison bars are exactly the same.

I dont get why noone has brought this up.

I'd love to see BBTB create a meme of this discrepancy.

I.e. these two Eddie says are completely different.

These 2 Eddie says are the same.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

this is why port should go to court. Pies stole ports brand.

Not sure if this has been posted...

Apparently the above document was produced to support the case for wearing the PB guernsey and was sent to the AFL. The irony is I found the link in the Graham Cornes column on why we should 'stop sooking and get on with playing football'. At least Murdoch got something right.

View attachment 1115702

Isn't it great to see the likes of Robbie Gray, Travis Boak and Charlie Dixon wearing the same guernsey as Harold Oliver wore over 100 years ago? It is also great to see Brad Ebert playing the same guernsey his father, uncle and cousin wore while playing for Port.

that whole thing reads like a pitch to bring the bars back as our full time jumper but it's not. it seems weird to put this gigantic presentation together talking about how big we are compared to other big clubs and how important the prison bars are and bringing up iconic colors and symbols, if the whole aim is to wear them against 1 other team all season. if Port Adelaide = Prison Bars why do you wanna wear them twice a season. if Essendon = Red Sash and Carlton = Crest why would they petition to wear them twice a year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back