Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the whole magenta compromise is a bit silly. We want to wear the PBS because it’s what the majority of our fans relate to, nobody was alive for magenta Ports and can’t relate to it, so it would defeat the purpose.
Just listened to Port CEO, Keith Thomas on Sen. Said that they are working on the Guernsey proposals etc. for 2020.
Same will be presented to the AFL when ready. The AFL has the final say. (Not Collingwood)

A lot of the arguments for the bars that I've read are based around tradition (there was even a news corp journo recently who claimed they were Port's first jumper). It's a fair argument to say that fans relate to the bars, but I think the tradition argument is a little light.
It's their most famous, successful, and longest-used jumper (this is the 101st year Port at any level have worn the PBs). How does that mean that the argument for it being their traditional jumper is 'a little light'?

That's some bloke spreading hearsay in a memoir. No newspaper articles quoting Collingwood?
So a letter from the Collingwood CEO = no good
Newspaper article from a journo wanting a story = 100% clear cut proof?
Remember that there have been wildly incorrect articles, my favourite being “Port will wear black white and red from 1997”

It's their most famous, successful, and longest-used jumper (this is the 101st year Port at any level have worn the PBs). How does that mean that the argument for it being their traditional jumper is 'a little light'?
When I think of clubs I think of their senior team and Port's senior team have only worn the bars for 77 years.

Port and Eddiewood should be allowed to play each other in their clubs original colors.
As a curtain raiser you could have both clubs supporters play in their natural colors, Green.
Posted in the name of fun.

I don't get why Collingwood should even have a stake in this, this is a matter between Port Adelaide and the AFL. We're not taking their nickname or their design.

Has it been mentioned that the AFL and Port Adelaide also made an agreement in 2007 that we could wear our Prison Bars in every future heritage round?

I say, bring heritage round back! Would be good fun for football fans everywhere, not just Port Adelaide.

Has it been mentioned that the AFL and Port Adelaide also made an agreement in 2007 that we could wear our Prison Bars in every future heritage round?

I say, bring heritage round back! Would be good fun for football fans everywhere, not just Port Adelaide.

#returntheochre

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Power and Port Adelaide Magpies are (or at least we’re) two completely different entities that played in two different competitions.

One Club was born in 1870 evolving into the magpies and eventually settling on the PB as it’s jumper in the 1950s. A natural progression from a club representing the suburbs around port adelaide.

The other Club was born in 1997. It was a soulless corporation which chose the “power” moniker, to ditch the PB design in favour of the SBS jumper, the colour teal and the logo because marketing and focus groups said it appeals more to kids.

Basically, what I’m saying is the Power don’t deserve to honour the SANFL Port history. The Power are a soulless corporation derived to appeal to a new market to maximise profits. It’s a plastic club. Always has, and always will be. No amount of “just let us wear the PB” whinging is gonna change that.

Even if you dispute my “Power aren’t the real Port” claim, Ports first jumper (blue and white hoops) celebrates its 150 season in 2019. That’s the jumper you should be advocating for. Not the PB which will celebrate its 150th season in 2051.

Port won flags in other colours and jumper styles over the years but you Power fans never want to acknowledge those Port teams, colours or jumper styles. I think that’s very strange.

Your greatest accomplishment was achieved in the SBS and still you bang on about the PB. The PB has nothing to do with the Power, still you bang on about the PB. The PB is worn by the SANFL Port Magpies every week, and still you bang on about the Power wearing the PB.

You surely realise, in 20 years, your fans will care more for the SBS 04 and the Vs jumpers than they will for the PB worn by the reserves team? Because the SBS and Vs is what they will have grown up with.

100%
It’s like there’s no off switch.

Back when I went for Collingwood and black & white stripes were life.
Me going for Collingwood at the time is irrelevant
Port Power and Port Adelaide Magpies are (or at least we’re) two completely different entities that played in two different competitions.

One Club was born in 1870 evolving into the magpies and eventually settling on the PB as it’s jumper in the 1950s. A natural progression from a club representing the suburbs around port adelaide.

The other Club was born in 1997. It was a soulless corporation which chose the “power” moniker, to ditch the PB design in favour of the SBS jumper, the colour teal and the logo because marketing and focus groups said it appeals more to kids.

Basically, what I’m saying is the Power don’t deserve to honour the SANFL Port history. The Power are a soulless corporation derived to appeal to a new market to maximise profits. It’s a plastic club. Always has, and always will be. No amount of “just let us wear the PB” whinging is gonna change that.

Even if you dispute my “Power aren’t the real Port” claim, Ports first jumper (blue and white hoops) celebrates its 150 season in 2019. That’s the jumper you should be advocating for. Not the PB which will celebrate its 150th season in 2051.

Port won flags in other colours and jumper styles over the years but you Power fans never want to acknowledge those Port teams, colours or jumper styles. I think that’s very strange.

Your greatest accomplishment was achieved in the SBS and still you bang on about the PB. The PB has nothing to do with the Power, still you bang on about the PB. The PB is worn by the SANFL Port Magpies every week, and still you bang on about the Power wearing the PB.

You surely realise, in 20 years, your fans will care more for the SBS 04 and the Vs jumpers than they will for the PB worn by the reserves team? Because the SBS and Vs is what they will have grown up with.
Nice baiting in the first six words.
Anywho, you were almost correct here, but the club born in 1870 plays in the AFL and the club born in 1997 plays in the SANFL, and as such the paragraph after that is void.
And we ditched the PBs cause your club and the league made us do that, not because of a marketing agency. We just picked teal after that because of marketing agencies.
Your very own club decided to celebrate 125 years and wore a commemorative jumper that was the same design Collingwood wore from 1951-1975 (and even longer if you count the years worn without side stripes), that wasn’t your longest tenured jumper and not your first jumper either, so what’s so good about the hoops over the PBs.
And the growing up with teal argument is stupid. I was born in 2003 and want nothing more than to see Port wear the Prison Bars full time.

And the growing up with teal argument is stupid. I was born in 2003 and want nothing more than to see Port wear the Prison Bars full time.

Yep I started watching footy in 2002, grew up with the SBS jumper and I think that is a crap jumper.

The Prison Bars is Port Adelaide's most iconic jumper. Anyone who says different is trolling hard.

Port Adelaide Football Club is one club.

Really gotta love how all these Richmond and Collingwood supporters apparently know more about the history of the PAFC and PAMFC than what Port supporters and historians do.

FACT #1: The PAFC that currently plays in the AFL was established in 1870. It left the SANFl at the end of 1996 and joined the AFL in 1997. We had to make some changes to our name and Guernsey as a result of Collingwood already being the Magpies and having a Black and White Jumper.

FACT #2: As a result of Fact 1, the Port Adelaide Magpies FC (PAMFC) were established in 1996 to replace the original PAFC in the SANFL. This club was intially supposed to remain completely separate from PAFC. Hence why for the first few years, the PAMFC had to play and train out of Ethelton Oval - they were all but banned from going anywhere near Alberton Oval.

FACT #3 These two clubs "merged" (read: the PAFC took over the PAMFC) in 2010. The PAMFC became our reserves side.

FACT #4 A majority of Port fans, as well as the club itself, do not even want the Prison Bars worn full time. We only want to wear them once or twice a year for special occasions in HOME games.

FACT #5. The AFL, not Eddie McGuire, not Collingwood, decides the jumper policy. However I think we can all agree that it is absolutely abhorrent that Eddie has been given the slightest look in, and this stems back from the days when Eddie would say "Jump" and Andrew Demetriou and the AFL wouldn't even ask "How High", they'd just jump.

there's 72 years (48%) in Port's SANFL/AFL history where they haven't worn the black and white bars.

That doesn't sound right.

1870 to 1902 is 32 years.

Between 1997 and 2019 is 22 years (ignoring for a moment the fact that not wearing the PBs in the AFL wasn't our choosing and that the guernsey was still attached to the club via the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL)

That's 54 years.

Around 1940 we wore black and white stripes, without the top bar, similar to Collingwood's guernsey. (in fact Collingwood gave us guernseys in 1951 for the Jubilee)

Regardless, the main thing is this: 30 odd premierships were won wearing the PBs. Surely that's what counts.

Another thing I don't get is when people call Port Adelaide sell-outs for the big AFL money.

We are losing money almost every year because the SANFL/SMA are the ones getting all the cash.

Really gotta love how all these Richmond and Collingwood supporters apparently know more about the history of the PAFC and PAMFC than what Port supporters and historians do.

FACT #2: As a result of Fact 1, the Port Adelaide Magpies FC (PAMFC) were established in 1996 to replace the original PAFC in the SANFL. This club was intially supposed to remain completely separate from PAFC. Hence why for the first few years, the PAMFC had to play and train out of Ethelton Oval - they were all but banned from going anywhere near Alberton Oval.

Only half a fact. PAMFC played home games at Alberton but weren't allowed to train there or use Port Power facilities.

Back