Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters
Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Adelaide and GC share colours, but even someone with a passing interest in footy wouldn't confuse their jumper designs. The same can easily be said for Collingwood and the bars. It's not that hard for some people to be able to distinguish the intricacies of a line across the chest and solid black above.

Fixed it for you

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Adelaide and GC share colours, but even someone with a passing interest in footy wouldn't confuse their jumper designs. The same can easily be said for Collingwood and the bars. It's not that hard for some people to be able to distinguish the intricacies of a line across the chest and solid black above.

Fixed it for you
We've had the discussion where casual footy fans have confused the two teams when watching on TV. TheLoungeLizard shared a little while ago that his partner thought Collingwood were playing when Port last wore the bars (was it the Showdown?)

We've had the discussion where casual footy fans have confused the two teams when watching on TV. TheLoungeLizard shared a little while ago that his partner thought Collingwood were playing when Port last wore the bars (was it the Showdown?)
Yeah, she's a keen AFL fan too - but she also gets mad at Freos purple

Should have her post here

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

i'd suggest that's just a side effect of the jumper only being worn occasionally. people would quickly learn the difference if it was worn every week.

B
i'd suggest that's just a side effect of the jumper only being worn occasionally. people would quickly learn the difference if it was worn every week.
Not so sure on that - my girlfriend had just walked into the room and seen the telly and thought it was the Pies - casual watchers may not learn as they just know Collingwood as the black and white team - and as I've said before its casual watchers who you are trying to convert to fans that will be Collingwood’s issue

As in - hardened fan = already putting money into a club
Casual fan = new customer to buy merch/memberships ect if they don't have a team already

Ironically, if they wore the Bars and people thought it was Collingwood it would probably help Collingwood more than Port anyway

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Ironically, if they wore the Bars and people thought it was Collingwood it would probably help Collingwood more than Port anyway
Like the time that Port merch store told someone to go buy a Collingwood Jumper because they didn't have the PB in stock or something like that lol

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Who cares whether a casual viewer gets temporarily confused? Won't take them long to work it out if they're truly interested in the sport.

I'll add this to the list of excellent argument points for the PBs;)

Somewhat off-topic, but related. In the days of black & white tv Collingwood v North Melbourne was a humdinger, believe me! Port in PBs v Collingwood would have been a contrast doddle by comparison. I was a casual (rare) viewer of VFL in those days & it was pretty easy to tell teams apart after a short time though.

Who cares whether a casual viewer gets temporarily confused? Won't take them long to work it out if they're truly interested in the sport.

I'll add this to the list of excellent argument points for the PBs;)

Somewhat off-topic, but related. In the days of black & white tv Collingwood v North Melbourne was a humdinger, believe me! Port in PBs v Collingwood would have been a contrast doddle by comparison. I was a casual (rare) viewer of VFL in those days & it was pretty easy to tell teams apart after a short time though.
I don't disagree - but if Collingwood really wanted to stamp their foot down on the matter, an argument of "it could effect potential fans/customers" would be a strong enough point to have the AFL really thinking

I don't disagree - but if Collingwood really wanted to stamp their foot down on the matter, an argument of "it could effect potential fans/customers" would be a strong enough point to have the AFL really thinking

Port would just cite the example above where Port were mistaken for Collingwood, thereby favouring Collingwood, not Port, from a ‘potential fans/customers‘ point of view.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hell, I do that some games as is - because so many of the clash jumpers are similar each other. If you just have a game on because you know there's a game on and its not one of particular interest it can happen. But at a glance you can tell its a clash jumper, but not which one. It doesn't take long to see who the teams are, its on the screen the whole time.

Its quite simple, home team should get to wear whatever they want. If that means Port choose to play in the prison bars against Collingwood as the home team (or higher qualifier in a final), its up to Collingwood to wear something different. Same rules for all teams.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Hell, I do that some games as is - because so many of the clash jumpers are similar each other. If you just have a game on because you know there's a game on and its not one of particular interest it can happen. But at a glance you can tell its a clash jumper, but not which one. It doesn't take long to see who the teams are, its on the screen the whole time.

Its quite simple, home team should get to wear whatever they want. If that means Port choose to play in the prison bars against Collingwood as the home team (or higher qualifier in a final), its up to Collingwood to wear something different. Same rules for all teams.
Wasn't it your mob that had the banner with something like "our home jumper" or something like that when the AFL made you wear the Argentina jumper vs Collingwood in a home game?

BlackWing

Debutant
Apr 28, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Centrals
Actually, you shouldn't be wearing prison bars in the SANFL either.
PAM are the Port Power AFL Reserves team so you should be wearing black white and teal and named Port Power.
You and the Crows shouldn't even be in the SANFL, but that is a discussion for another thread.

NO AFL IN THE S.A.N.F.L.

PAM are the Port Power AFL Reserves team so you should be wearing black white and teal and named Port Power.
You and the Crows shouldn't even be in the SANFL, but that is a discussion for another thread.

NO AFL IN THE S.A.N.F.L.

Oh look, the special children have come out to play.

NO AFL IN THE S.A.N.F.L.
How did the SANFL go without the AFL clubs this year? The SANFL is a dying league and most Port fans would love to leave that cesspit in favour of an AFL reserves league provided we could wear the Bars and play at Alberton. I think there’s nothing I’d like to see more than the SANFL die off in all honesty.

BlackWing

Debutant
Apr 28, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Centrals
The S.A.N.F.L. was much better without the AFL Reserves this year. The League was how it should be, 8 real teams with no franchises.
Port should have been expelled in 1990 for their treachery but definitely in 1997 when they were "promoted" to the AFL.
I also would love nothing better than for Port to bugger off and take the crows with them.

The S.A.N.F.L. was much better without the AFL Reserves this year. The League was how it should be, 8 real teams with no franchises.
Port should have been expelled in 1990 for their treachery but definitely in 1997 when they were "promoted" to the AFL.
I also would love nothing better than for Port to bugger off and take the crows with them.
Right so lower standard = better competition? That just doesn’t make any sense. I know this is a thread about the PBs but I’ll engage for the sake of it. I’m not ever sure why as I don’t want us to be in the SANFL as it just throttles the development of our players and most decisions are to disadvantage us and the Crows.
I wish we had been admitted into the AFL in 1990, we would certainly have more flags than we have now and yeah the counterbalance could mean some of my favourite players would be at other clubs but eh.
Weren’t Port attendances the only club’s that went up after the Crows made the AFL? That makes a lot of sense given the SANFL still needs Port (and admittedly the Crows) to keep propping them up 30 years later.
We left the SANFL after joining the AFL which was met with the SANFL creating the PAMFC which is the biggest ******* LOL to me, the league that hated us just needed us to be there. Cute.
Like I’ve said, I’d love Port to leave the SANFL, it’s a dying comp (and rightfully so, * them campaigners for taking every possible opportunity to shaft us whenever they could) and is throttling our players development. Back to the topic at hand if not for the Prison Bars I’d be the loudest advocate for us to nail the coffin shut on the SANFL, because that’s what the jumper means to me.
Once again, * the SANFL and it’s irrelevant clubs.

BlackWing

Debutant
Apr 28, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Centrals
Crows contribute very few supporters and Port supporters have deserted to the AFL in droves. fu** PAFC, magpies and power varieties and the horse you rode in on. The S.A.N.F.L. can survive without port and the crows. Much better without the uneven playing field of professional footballers and huge AFL funded teams.

Crows contribute very few supporters and Port supporters have deserted to the AFL in droves. fu** PAFC, magpies and power varieties and the horse you rode in on. The S.A.N.F.L. can survive without port and the crows. Much better without the uneven playing field of professional footballers and huge AFL funded teams.
Like I said, I don’t want Port in the SANFL, one because it’s better for Port and two because it would kill the SANFL. I genuinely challenge them to survive 5 years without the AFL clubs, because at the end of the day Norwood and Sturt and whoever else is going to lose that gate money from when they host Port and Adelaide reserves and the SANFL will lose some of the control over the SA AFL clubs and won’t be able to extort them for as much money (which, lets be real, will still mean they pull a fair chunk of money, but not as much as the greedy bastards would want).

BlackWing

Debutant
Apr 28, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Centrals
Listen! The games against crows draw the smallest crowds for each team. The crowds are usually 90% good guys and 10% crows and half of them are home team supporters.
I don't want port or the crows in S.A.N.F.L. either. That we can agree upon. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many

NO AFL IN THE S.A.N.F.L.
Can't spell SANFL without AFL

Acronymed.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth

NO AFL IN THE S.A.N.F.L.

I keep forgetting it's school holidays.

For starters we're not Port Power. We're Port Adelaide.

Secondly, yes while I do agree that the old Port Magpies are gone and they are now our AFL reserves, it doesn't mean we can't wear the Bars in the SANFL. Some fans were alienated and lost during the reserves issue including Port fans who followed the SANFL but had a different AFL team. Changing Guernsey's in the SANFL from the Bars to our AFL jumper wouldn't go down too well.

Are you that Glenelg fan that started a thread a while ago titled "what will happen to the plastic franchises"? Or related? Same ignorant and dimwitted attitude.

Looks like someone forgot their Apricot Slice, Chardonnay and hand knitted Crows blanket.

Listen! The games against crows draw the smallest crowds for each team. The crowds are usually 90% good guys and 10% crows and half of them are home team supporters.
I don't want port or the crows in S.A.N.F.L. either. That we can agree upon. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

I don't actually disagree to be fair. The Crows promised to bring fans to the SANFL (I reckon 3000 was the figure I read....) and they clearly haven't.

As for the last sentence... Right back at you Beryl 😉😉🤣🤣

captain ebert

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2003
Sydney - Northern Beaches
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You just don’t want Port or more importantly Crows in the SANFL because as a Centrals supporter, having them there screws with your minds, lol.
And you all jumped on board the crows to the detriment of your original clubs. How can you sleep at night?

Back