Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters
Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
The whole "when Port become a net giver instead of a net receiver they can wear it" is a weird argument from Eddie. he went so far to say Collingwood's jumper is the most valuable in the league (I assume based on sponsorship values) but neglected to mention that the Prison Bar jumper was the highest selling retail item in the AFL last season.

“How about you make some money first”

“Wearing and selling prison bar jumpers will help us make lots of money”

“No, not like that”

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
It doesn't clash IMO. Although Crows jumper is dark based, the yellow and red makes it clear enough.

Won’t happen, but I’d like to see you wear it with white shorts in both games against us in full home. I think that would provide enough contrast and I also think white shorts gives the bars the strongest look.

Won’t happen, but I’d like to see you wear it with white shorts in both games against us in full home. I think that would provide enough contrast and I also think white shorts gives the bars the strongest look.
We wore it with white shorts at the home elim final vs Richmond in 2014. I actually prefer it with white shorts as well.
ef044c2bdd6b120438147aad1dca40c9

Looking at it, it doesn't clash any more than other jumper matchups that are allowed.

Clash jumper policy in the AFL does need to be overhauled though, but that's a different issue!
Also in the Showdown last season it was a Port Adelaide home game, I don't recall anyone having a problem with crows wearing their home jumper in that situation either.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Spent an hour on twitter trying to educate a nuffie to no avail. Must say, I don’t recommend it, it was like banging my head against a brick wall. Also after an hour defending Port I don’t even know what my life is anymore.
I didn't get involved but read through a reply thread that had about 50 comments in it on Facebook this morning. The guy just kept saying "THEY'RE SEPARATE ENTITIES WITH SEPARATE LOGOS AND SEPARATE BANK ACCOUNTS (in reference to the AFL and SANFL sides)" every time someone tried to reason with him. He just couldn't grasp the concept of the original PAFC being the current AFL club and the current SANFL side being the newer club which merged into the original.

I didn't get involved but read through a reply thread that had about 50 comments in it on Facebook this morning. The guy just kept saying "THEY'RE SEPARATE ENTITIES WITH SEPARATE LOGOS AND SEPARATE BANK ACCOUNTS (in reference to the AFL and SANFL sides)" every time someone tried to reason with him. He just couldn't grasp the concept of the original PAFC being the current AFL club and the current SANFL side being the newer club which merged into the original.
"B-b-b-but the letter from the club said Port Power were established in 1997!!!"
Wow, it's almost as if some outside force was hellbent on destroying the club and did everything in their power to cripple them including creating a new entity to claim the club's history and create a disconnect with rusted on fans.
You can't reason with Facebook fans. I don't like wasting my breath so I may eventually make a YouTube video debunking all of the myths and baseless arguments against the bars.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
"B-b-b-but the letter from the club said Port Power were established in 1997!!!"
Wow, it's almost as if some outside force was hellbent on destroying the club and did everything in their power to cripple them including creating a new entity to claim the club's history and create a disconnect with rusted on fans.
You can't reason with Facebook fans. I don't like wasting my breath so I may eventually make a YouTube video debunking all of the myths and baseless arguments against the bars.
I don't engage on Facebook anymore if I can avoid it. It's a cesspool for the lowest common denominator.

“How about you make some money first”

“Wearing and selling prison bar jumpers will help us make lots of money”

“No, not like that”
It's just such a weird argument with perhaps the easiest rebuttal in the world to counter it. Baffling.
Wouldn't mind this, I mean we are the one's who have white in the kit, no point adding one of our colours to the Crows uniform, it's just not ideal.

They haven't.
Technically we have it in writing in 2007 that we get to wear the Prison Bars for heritage round every year. When the agreement was reached, the AFL immediately scrapped heritage round.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
I find it hilarious on Facebook that it's the not-so-bright Crows fans that argue about Port Adelaide the most. (Where as most of the better Crows fans are actually half decent to banter with, well the ones I've come across anyway).

Like you hate our club so much that you've dedicated so much time to come up with your version of our history then vent about it on The Advertiser and FoxFooty pages in a language that isn't even English half the time

"bUt yOuR pOrT pOwEr nOt pOrT aDeLaiDe"

Last edited:

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The whole "when Port become a net giver instead of a net receiver they can wear it" is a weird argument from Eddie. he went so far to say Collingwood's jumper is the most valuable in the league (I assume based on sponsorship values) but neglected to mention that the Prison Bar jumper was the highest selling retail item in the AFL last season.

I have heard this mentioned and asked about it on another forum, out of interest was it the highest selling item by volume or brought in the most money? Obviously a big amount either way.

So for example were there more Port Prison Bar gurnseys sold than say Richmond scarfes in 2020?

Tredrea also said it was the highest selling jumper which is again different to what you mentioned. He might be wrong, just interested.

I have heard this mentioned and asked about it on another forum, out of interest was it the highest selling item by volume or brought in the most money? Obviously a big amount either way.

So for example were there more Port Prison Bar gurnseys sold than say Richmond scarfes in 2020?

Tredrea also said it was the highest selling jumper which is again different to what you mentioned. He might be wrong, just interested.

I believe it's by revenue. It was a high priced item and with our 150th year celebrations was highly sought after.

Simple question to Eddie:

If Collingwood's jumper is the most valuable in the league that would mean its the most identifiable, if that's the case how does Port wearing a very different jumper (Even though it is the same colors) affect this?

I have no issue wearing it in the two showdowns, the White makes it a lot clearer which team is which, and its in Adelaide.

Facebook is the pits of opinion, especially when it comes to Port. Everyone seems to have an opinion but knows nothing...

I even saw a comment about Good Friday Footy claiming it should be St Kilda vs Melbourne, purely for the “Saints vs Demons”, good vs bad matchup.

Back