Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters
The 2007 document.

Anyway. Take this to court. It’s simple. You’ll get an answer one way or the other.

No, I mean the example of us selling it without the approval of the AFL.

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
- Has teal
- Looks like prison bars but is technically a 3-colour guernsey
- Basically says "This is not the Collingwood guernsey"

Checkmate

Attachments

• pafcbars2022..png
    pafcbars2022..png
    9.7 KB · Views: 94

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
As long as Port have control over when and where we wear the heritage guernsey and don't have to ask permission, I'd be very happy with this.

That's all we want, control over our when we wear our guernsey within AFL clash rules.
To be fair, having ‘control’ over when you wear your jumper means you’ll probably want to wear it full time as a home jumper, therefore that is technically ‘what you want’.

But there’s nothing wrong with that, you’re just misinterpreting the issue at hand. Those Collingwood fans who have voiced their opinion in the past few posts have misrepresented the issue more though.

I think the jumpers look too similar, but that’s it. No talk about what name the Power trade as. Nothing about stupid contracts which obviously mean nothing. Just that they look alike. Hopefully you can respect my opinion and move on

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Collingwood don't own black and white but they do own the rights to black and white stripes. So work around it. As I posted in the Jumper Ideas 2022 thread, slim the bars. The jumper below is a predominantly black jumper with white elements that cannot be confused with a Collingwood jumper. I personally like Scorch's version that FT posted the other day but I can't see Port Adelaide going for that otherwise we wouldn't be here.

m6MKJyk.png

Collingwood don't own black and white but they do own the rights to black and white stripes. So work around it. As I posted in the Jumper Ideas 2022 thread, slim the bars. The jumper below is a predominantly black jumper with white elements that cannot be confused with a Collingwood jumper. I personally like Scorch's version that FT posted the other day but I can't see Port Adelaide going for that otherwise we wouldn't be here.

m6MKJyk.png
Our 1914 version of the Prison Bars are really thin. Good enough for me.
Invincibles-Prison-Bars-2003.jpg

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Someone in this thread said something about Port using Black and White in their off field gear like player polos. Many clubs have been using non-standard colours in their gear/apparel for quite some time now. Sydney and Geelong for example had for a while when they were with ISC had gold in some of their apparel such as jackets (I've got one with gold in it), and Essendon had green training tops a few years ago. St George Illawarra in the NRL have dark grey in a lot of their current range of apparel such as training tees as well but none of those examples have had issues with other clubs who may have those colours in their match day kits on a regular basis

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Someone in this thread said something about Port using Black and White in their off field gear like player polos. Many clubs have been using non-standard colours in their gear/apparel for quite some time now. Sydney and Geelong for example had for a while when they were with ISC had gold in some of their apparel such as jackets (I've got one with gold in it), and Essendon had green training tops a few years ago. St George Illawarra in the NRL have dark grey in a lot of their current range of apparel such as training tees as well but none of those examples have had issues with other clubs who may have those colours in their match day kits on a regular basis
I've got grey on a West Coast jacket from last season. The one that stood out to me though was when the Bulldogs implemented charcoal as their main off-field colour a couple of seasons ago, using red, white and blue as accent colours instead.

Something I genuinely don't get, and I'm not even trying to stir things here. What is Collingwood's argument that Port should not be selling anything black and white? Like is it supposed to be that they lose sales because of it? Lose mind share? Port is damaging the brand? What is it?

Like, the only way Collingwood can hypothetically lose here is a a hypothetical person who says "I want a piece of football merchandise. I want this merchandise to be predominately black and white. I have no strong ties to any football club so I'll just grab the first predominately black and white piece of football merchandise I see." because Collingwood now have to compete with Port in this space. But this hypothetical person / scenario would not exist at all. So what is the argument they have?

Apr 27, 2019
Dragon Island
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, OKC
Port Adelaide are still wearing the prison bars every Saturday in the competition that the prison bars become famous in.
Are Port Adelaide happy with Port Power wearing their jumper ? Has anyone checked ?
Both the Magpies and Power are one club. The Port Adelaide Football Club.

Port Adelaide are still wearing the prison bars every Saturday in the competition that the prison bars become famous in.
Are Port Adelaide happy with Port Power wearing their jumper ? Has anyone checked ?
Port Adelaide CEO Matthew Richardson looked in a mirror to ask himself the question. He said yes.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth

There is no such thing as Port Power. Port Adelaide is one club fielding two teams, one in the AFL and another in the SANFL.

So no juniors any more . Just one team in the SANFL. Or is there a Port Adelaide Magpies football club still getting jumpers on the kids somewhere ?
The SANFL took our juniors away. Our SANFL listed players are recruited via signing SANFL reserves players from other clubs or ammo players.

jakson68

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Port Noarlunga
AFL Club
Collingwood
What is the problem with us selling prison bar jumpers anyway? How does this affect Collingwood at all? How will this affect Collingwood's bottom line? As a club we need all the money we can get at the moment! If the AFL is genuine in making our club a success then it would be encouraging and promoting the sale of as many of these jumpers as possible. If an agreement is outdated &/or unreasonable then it should be abandoned or renegotiated.
And there is your answer.
Most Collingwood supporters find the agreement was not unreasonable. You were allowed to wear it once, then again.
And now like little boy Oliver, you want more.
Collingwood are the only Magpies in this league, Port need to learn there place as the heritage of our club also means a lot to our supporters.

Mr39

Club Legend
Mar 3, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And there is your answer.
Most Collingwood supporters find the agreement was not unreasonable. You were allowed to wear it once, then again.
And now like little boy Oliver, you want more.
Collingwood are the only Magpies in this league, Port need to learn there place as the heritage of our club also means a lot to our supporters.

“Learn their place”.. listen to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
We can sit here are argue until we’re blue in the face but why Port Adelaide Power don’t take this to the high court to get a ruling is beyond me.

jakson68

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Port Noarlunga
AFL Club
Collingwood
“Learn their place”.. listen to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did listen to myself! and I stand by it.
Port come into a competition and think they can do whatever they want, as if it is their right.
They entered in teal, stay in teal.
If you want to support the black and white Magpies, either follow Collingwood, or go watch a SANFL game.

Back