Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You wonder if the Port playing group will say to the club .. enough is enough.
This is all great for the other clubs but Port need to focus on a premiership not focus on something they can’t win .
You'd think the players came up with the idea from how happy they were walking down to the rooms wearing them!

You'd think the players came up with the idea from how happy they were walking down to the rooms wearing them!

It was their idea. The leadership group presented the idea to the club and they ran with it.

Oh jolly good. We've moved on from the lack of Brisbane Bears representation and progressed to how the Gold Coast have the worst jumpers in the league.

My 2c?

Southport should have been allowed to enter instead, but this would have created yet another conundrum - they wear black and white!

So in lieu of that, Good Coast need a jumper rebrand because even a blind man can look at their jumpers and think "Oh dear Christ!".

They had a half decent chevron inspired clash jumper a few years back.... They need to build on that. Maybe adapt a Bears style chevron design with their colours.

*See's a hoard of angry ex Bears fans, and runs for cover*

Made this up before the whole PB debate flared up again. I call 'em the Power Bars.

I know Port fans wouldn't accept a design like this but the balance between the teal and white is majestic. Would be in my top 3 AFL kits if they were to run out in something like this. And I kept the white number panel because aside from the bars themselves, it's the most iconic part of their design.

Piy8mt2.jpg
tuKzp7m.jpg

Last edited:
Made this up before the whole PB debate flared up again. I call 'em the Power Bars.

I know Port fans wouldn't accept a design like this but the balance between the teal and white is majestic. Would be in my top 3 AFL kits if they were to run out in something like this.

Piy8mt2.jpg
What are your other two?

I had them both there in the post but it must've removed itself. Home/Clash is there now.

I was going to make up a white PB kit but idk I just feel like it doesn't work as well as the Teal and Black.
Meant your top 3. 😂

Meant your top 3. 😂
Ohhh righto

Just speaking Home Jumpers right now, it'd probably be Lions, Crows, then maybe Collingwood (but putting obvious bias aside I'd probably slide either Sydney or West Coast in there). GWS was in there for a while until this year and they have since been relegated lol.

Honestly, the only compromise I would be somewhat happy with is if the black above the Bars on the front, and the black above the number panel on the back, were changed to teal, I would be somewhat happy with that.

I'm also led to believe that was one of the designs the AFL declined in 1996/1997

I appreciate the peaceful intent behind the "Port should just compromise and add teal" solution. However, it completely misses the mark.

We want to wear our heritage jumper once or twice a year. We don't want to replace it with a recoloured bastardisation to satisfy some inflated egos. To compromise and wear a teal PB defeats the whole purpose of the Bring Back The Bars campaign.

In any case, the PB design is objectively awesome in any colour scheme. I would love recoloured designs if and only if they are in addition to our heritage jumper rather than as a replacement.

I made this in 2019 and stand by it. I'd even accept teal or magenta variations so long as the heritage remains intact.
Lte8IcH-1.png

And yes - I'd even get around this variation.

1592459928217.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I appreciate the peaceful intent behind the "Port should just compromise and add teal" solution. However, it completely misses the mark.

We want to wear our heritage jumper once or twice a year. We don't want to replace it with a recoloured bastardisation to satisfy some inflated egos. To compromise and wear a teal PB defeats the whole purpose of the Bring Back The Bars campaign.

In any case, the PB design is objectively awesome in any colour scheme. I would love recoloured designs if and only if they are in addition to our heritage jumper rather than as a replacement.

I made this in 2019 and stand by it. I'd even accept teal or magenta variations so long as the heritage remains intact.
View attachment 1122602

View attachment 1122599

silver bars are pretty striking, I put this together a while ago based on the 1919 design (before I realised Port are rightly not willing to compromise). I imagine the AFL/Collingwood would still reject this even though no one in their right mind would ever confuse it for a Collingwood jumper. Port1919SilverBars@4x.png

G
Great for Crows supporters 😂
Crows fan is more inspired by spite and shitting on Port than an actual state based issue involving Vicbias because 'lol Poort'
In other news the sky is blue.

View attachment 1122602

View attachment 1122599
Love this set too.

Well perhaps instead of campaigning to wear the Prison Bars, wouldn't it be a better move to push for the return of Heritage Round? That way it would be something all clubs and their supporters can get behind.

I honestly think this would be a much better approach as there's no real downside, Port don't have to 'bastardise' the PBs, Collingwood's identity and brand integrity is maintained, and such and arrangement would be inline with the original agreements in regards to Heritage Round. On top of that, every other club gets to celebrate an aspect of their heritage as well.

Feel like this would be a much better use of time and energy for all parties.

I'd even accept teal or magenta variations so long as the heritage remains intact.
What do Port fans actually want? Thiis is the first I've seen any Port fan say 'I'd be happy with... as long as we can wear our heritage jumper'. That is a slightly more developed argument than simply 'we want to wear our heritage jumper'. One implies an element of openness and frequency while the other suggests compromise and limit.

Reading your post, I would interpret that as you'd be fine with some bastardised prison bar jumper (eg. Scorch's two-tone black) provided you can wear the regular black and white one at some point.

This would be subject to agreement by Port but is only relevant if most Port fans are in your camp. If the majority are 'heritage or nothing' your point is irrelevant.

What do Port fans actually want? Thiis is the first I've seen any Port fan say 'I'd be happy with... as long as we can wear our heritage jumper'. That is a slightly more developed argument than simply 'we want to wear our heritage jumper'. One implies an element of openness and frequency while the other suggests compromise and limit.

Reading your post, I would interpret that as you'd be fine with some bastardised prison bar jumper (eg. Scorch's two-tone black) provided you can wear the regular black and white one at some point.

This would be subject to agreement by Port but is only relevant if most Port fans are in your camp. If the majority are 'heritage or nothing' your point is irrelevant.
In DFrunk but I will rwply layer

Without speaking for a collective of different people with obviously different views, I think the main desire is an ability to recognise our heritage as every other club seemingly can. That means us having control of when we wear the Guernsey that resonates the most with our fans, without needing to run it by a bunch of other parties that shouldn't have anything to do with it.

This means we need to have access to the prison bars without compromises. No teal, Silver, whatever. Just to be able to wear the exact Guernsey we are known for.

From there, some want it as a permanent Home Guernsey. Others want it to be kept for more special occasions - within that, some want to keep the chevrons for the other times, others want to embrace the prison bars fully with new designs. Obviously different people have different views, but I think having our most recognisable traditional Guernsey accessible, exactly as it is remembered, is a view shared by everyone.

This means we need to have access to the prison bars without compromises.
I've explained above how IP laws work and why this won't happen. As a neutral, I'm all for sticking it to Collingwood however this one line in particular kills the argument for Port fans. I would strongly suggest refining your heritage argument.

I think in order for the AFL to let the prison bars to be used, PA needs to double down and embrace the teal.

Just seems they've been moving away from the teal, and that was one of Eddie's arguments, that you look at a PA crowd and you see more black and white and shades between.

Have a home number that is predominately teal, have an away with a standout teal chevron in it. Make no mistake that your primary colour is teal, then I think AFL can't refuse the prison bars.

This idea only works if the club is happy to wear the PB's once or twice a year and no more.

IMG_2059.GIF
IMG_2060.GIF
IMG_2061.GIF

The actions of the players have brought out the true feelings of some people in this debate. The thoughts of a former Collingwood player where told by the Channel 9 news tonight when his thoughts that he expressed on twitter where shown. Also the thoughts of a former Collingwood President were expressed again on the Channel 9 news as well.

But what does the wearing of the Black and White Prison Bar jumper do to other AFL clubs if they are only worn in Showdown matches. It doesn't effect any other club.

Last season Port Adelaide didn't get to wear the jumper that they first wore 150 years ago. A panademoic will stop things like that happening. Being moved to different states and the changing of the fixture made it hard to decide when to wear them.

However, the colours worn by Port Adelaide 150 years ago could be reintroduced and added to the Prison Bar jumper design to allow it to be worn as a home jumper. Adding the light blue to the jumper would eliminate Collingwood's constant message that they are the only club that can wear black and white. Let the dog have its bone, adding the light blue to the prison bar jumper design will allow one of Football's greatest jumper designs to be worn in the competition each week, and we don't have to listen to Collingwood supporters about their colour's being taken. Light blue is close to the colour that teal is, but is linked to Port Adelaide in history much more.

TJPrkAS.jpg

Back