Private Dicks, dames and double-crosses: the crime fiction thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't remember which book I read but I remember being a little annoyed that the plot basically finished with her frigging up something fairly crucial and it was up to her cop boyfriend/ex-boyfriend to save the day and help her catch the baddie. Seemed a little patronising.

What do people think of the "Jack Irish" books by Peter Temple ? I saw the adaptions on ABC and was interested enough to get the four that I could find (Are there more ?).

What do people think of the "Jack Irish" books by Peter Temple ? I saw the adaptions on ABC and was interested enough to get the four that I could find (Are there more ?).

I wrote my opinions on the Jack Irish books earlier in this (2 page) thread.

I like all of Peter Temple's books, even though I'm not particularly a fan of crime fiction; I just love his style.

There are only 4 Jack Irish books at this stage, Temple is in the process of writing another one.

His best books imo though are 'Broken Shore' & 'Truth', one set in rural Victoria, one set in Melbourne, they are both excellent and of the both crime fiction genre - would highly recommend, particularly Broken Shore.

I wrote my opinions on the Jack Irish books earlier in this (2 page) thread.

I like all of Peter Temple's books, even though I'm not particularly a fan of crime fiction; I just love his style.

There are only 4 Jack Irish books at this stage, Temple is in the process of writing another one.

His best books imo though are 'Broken Shore' & 'Truth', one set in rural Victoria, one set in Melbourne, they are both excellent and of the both crime fiction genre - would highly recommend, particularly Broken Shore.
Thank you for that. It may be a while before I get around to reading any of the "Jack Irish" books. Currently just started a Clive Cussler ("Treasure Of Khan")

I finished reading 'The Postman always rings twice' last week.

Imagine my surprise when i found there was no actual postman in the book !

R.I.P. Elmore Leonard

Loved this man's westerns and crime capers particularly from the 70's and 80's (thought he kinda lost his way in the end). Has spawned many imitators and (in the main) crap movies

69de5e51-9d05-4b0c-bc76-ad6b8bba1aa9_elmore-leonard.jpg

Anyone read the latest Michael Connelly book, 'The Gods of Guilt'? His best Mickey Haller novel apart from the original I think.

Any Dennis Lehane fans in here?
Absolutely - his "Kenzie/Gennaro" books are terrific.

Also in that genre:
Robert Crais - "Elvis Cole & Joe Pike"
Harlan Coben - "Myron Bolitar & Win"

Christopher Brookmyre & Carl Hiaason are other favourites.

Been hooked on crime fiction since my late teens, when a mate tossed me a copy of Jim Thompson's, "The Killer Inside Me". The first person narrative from the perspective of a psychopathic sheriff was the most chilling thing I'd read, and lead me to seek out his other works.

Same here. I'm a big fan of Big Jim. I highly recommend any fans of crime fiction who haven't read his work to do so, you're in for a treat.

Others I'd recommend are Dashiell Hammett, whose "Red Harvest" is a must-read, and Ross MacDonald and Charles Willeford.

Same here. I'm a big fan of Big Jim. I highly recommend any fans of crime fiction who haven't read his work to do so, you're in for a treat.

Others I'd recommend are Dashiell Hammett, whose "Red Harvest" is a must-read, and Ross MacDonald and Charles Willeford.

Ever read any David Goodis? The poet of the down and out, highly recommend his stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone read the latest Michael Connelly book, 'The Gods of Guilt'? His best Mickey Haller novel apart from the original I think.
Not yet, but it's on the list.

Ever read any David Goodis? The poet of the down and out, highly recommend his stuff

I haven't, although he's been on my radar for years. One of my favourite movies, "Shoot The Piano Player", was based on his book "Down There", so I'd like to start with that.

Have just started reading Ian Rankin Rebus series, book one, and Jeffrey Deaver Lincoln Rime ( spelling) .
Rebus is one of the best, no doubt!
Others to consider are John Sandford, Harlen Coben, James Lee Burke, Robert Crais, Val McDerimid, Peter Robinson, Dennis Lehane.

Reckon there's a whole genre that could be defined as dirt poor southern white trash meth noir.

10713935.jpg

Frank Bill's interlinked and connected collection of short stories are extremely violent tales of depravity in a part of the USA with no jobs, hopes or prospects, with methamphetamines being the only game in town. Darkly, darkly humorous.

71CdV4qYqVL._SL1360_.jpg

Just finished this wonderfully depraved debut novel by Jake Hinkson (gonna search out and devour everything he's written) which contains one of the more memorable characters of recent reads, Brother Geoffrey Webb. A con man who sees the church as a sham, and himself as a natural fit for the environment. He's appointed youth minister in a small Arkansas Baptist church and the mayhem begins. Read it in a single sitting, highly recommended for those that like their crime real hard boiled

Remove this Banner Ad

Back