Private Schools

Remove this Banner Ad

Private schools offer a s**t load more than most Public schools, in terms of facilities, opportunities both in school and post school, support and just all round care (they care more because they want your money). Any body arguing otherwise simply has a chip on their shoulder or is a left wing lunatic.

Having said that, a kid that does well academically, especially from a lower socioeconomic Public School, shows a level of self determination well exceeding most that are spoon fed through the private system, and as a prospective employer, it would definitely be held in high regard.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

What rich families do have is a lifetime of prompt healthcare, eating 5 star mince instead of 3 star, not living in crappily built homes etc etc x thousands of things.

Their genes aren't different.
Everyones genes are different. Two basketballers have kids and their kids will be tall. Two smart parents have kids and their kids will be smarter. Its basic sex selection theory. Plenty of dumb rich people but on average rich people tend to have higher gentically derived IQ as all the doctors, lawyers etc are rich people. i agree with your other points though but genes is also part of it.

People buying a family-size home in inner Melbourne can afford to put them in a normal private school.

How do you know?

I know people that bought houses in Perth so their kids can go to Rossmoyne, Shenton College, Churchlands etc.

A $1m house with an 80% loan is going to cost you at least $40k a year at current very low interest rates. Until recently more like $50k+. That isn't chicken feed. Tacking on $10-20k+ in school fees per kid isn't like finding a few bucks for a school excursion to Penguin Island.

To a lot of "rich" people it's one or the other. You either move to the area you want to get the good public school, or you stay where you are and commit to school fees for 5 years per kid. School fees are a fixed cost, cost of housing isn't. If you bought a house in Subiaco in 1995 then you are well ahead of someone who earns more money but is trying to do that now.

The dynamic will probably change a bit in the next decade or two. If you are old money or over about 40 then having a huge mortgage is something that happens to other people. I know people my age that went to those schools above and their parents were never wealthy. When we were high school age they would've had family incomes under 6 figures so going to an expensive private school was out of the question. Those kids are now at the age where they are settling down to have families and buying a house somewhere like Willetton (which isn't Dalkeith) is a huge commitment. I wouldn't be telling them 'well you can afford to live in Willetton, you can afford to send your kids to Corpus Christi'.

At this point in the discussion someone (not necessarily you) will chime in with "If the kid wants to learn, they'll do alright whatever the school". It's complete crap when it's teacher vs disruptives most lessons. Most adults can't function well at work if the boss is always yelling with someone; what the fu** do they expect kids to do? A lot of I Turned Out Alright thinking going on.

The truth IMO is much more complex.

I still maintain that the top students at my sub-par state school would have done well no matter what the educational environment was like, but that's not remotely the same thing as saying that the sub-par state school will do a good job of maximising every student's academic potential; even the top students. Not even close.

Everyones genes are different. Two basketballers have kids and their kids will be tall. Two smart parents have kids and their kids will be smarter. Its basic sex selection theory. Plenty of dumb rich people but on average rich people tend to have higher gentically derived IQ as all the doctors, lawyers etc are rich people. i agree with your other points though but genes is also part of it.

Your logic is all over the shop. There's correlation = causation and conversion of logic going on and my brain hurts.

Not all rich people are smart, and not all smart people are rich. There is a correlation that if you are smart you are more likely to be rich but intelligence is genetic and wealth is societal. If two hotshot lawyers marry then their powers of intelligence will combine and they should have intelligent offspring, and their wealth will give said offspring a great start in life. Another factor to consider is that men and women are different. Often but not always, men are attracted to looks while women are attracted to status and wealth. If a rich lawyer with an IQ of 130 marries the hot girl from the mail room how smart will their kids be?

The best possible chance in life you can have of being rich is being born to rich parents. How many people in Australia manage to never finish high school, contribute nothing to society and maintain a standard of living your average African can only dream of? Function of circumstance. The richer you are the softer the cushion you'll eventually land on if you fall down the ladder.

In Australia at least the best possible chance in life you can have of getting a good education is having parents who value your education, are wealthy enough to live in a decent area and able to consider sending you to private school, but are not so wealthy that they will let you skate by on inherited wealth and family/old boys network connections. IMO anyway.

Your logic is all over the shop. There's correlation = causation and conversion of logic going on and my brain hurts.

Not all rich people are smart, and not all smart people are rich. There is a correlation that if you are smart you are more likely to be rich but intelligence is genetic and wealth is societal. If two hotshot lawyers marry then their powers of intelligence will combine and they should have intelligent offspring, and their wealth will give said offspring a great start in life. Another factor to consider is that men and women are different. Often but not always, men are attracted to looks while women are attracted to status and wealth. If a rich lawyer with an IQ of 130 marries the hot girl from the mail room how smart will their kids be?

The best possible chance in life you can have of being rich is being born to rich parents. How many people in Australia manage to never finish high school, contribute nothing to society and maintain a standard of living your average African can only dream of? Function of circumstance. The richer you are the softer the cushion you'll eventually land on if you fall down the ladder.

In Australia at least the best possible chance in life you can have of getting a good education is having parents who value your education, are wealthy enough to live in a decent area and able to consider sending you to private school, but are not so wealthy that they will let you skate by on inherited wealth and family/old boys network connections. IMO anyway.
Not over the shop at all. We are talking probabilties here not givens. Wealthy people on average are more intelligent. Not because wealth drives intelligence but because intelligent people tend to find wealth more than unintelligent.

This is all very basic theory. Its not supposed to be a head stumper.

Not over the shop at all. We are talking probabilties here not givens. Wealthy people on average are more intelligent. Not because wealth drives intelligence but because intelligent people tend to find wealth more than unintelligent.

This is all very basic theory. Its not supposed to be a head stumper.

There is a weak correlation between IQ and life outcomes (including wealth) and I suspect much of that correlation has to do with the intellectually impaired being more or less incapable of obtaining satisfactory life outcomes for themselves.

Better coke in private schools. Or more money to be made from coke I should say. I went back to high shcool aged 30 is disguise just so I could make money as a dealer. I always seemed to stay back a year for sum reason.

hmmmmmm.

Two of my friends are extremely intelligent, they have 4 children, 3 are autistic.

There is a weak correlation between IQ and life outcomes (including wealth) and I suspect much of that correlation has to do with the intellectually impaired being more or less incapable of obtaining satisfactory life outcomes for themselves.
The weight of literature suggests traits are 50 percent genetic and 50 percent environmental. Basically its a draw.

This is why my children went to Public selective schools.
Private schools - the repository for the idiot children of the wealthy and self-entitled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why my children went to Public selective schools.
Private schools - the repository for the idiot children of the wealthy and self-entitled.
"repository for the idiot children of the wealthy and self-entitled" What nonsense you write. This is a Catholic Private School. Once again the Catholics can hang their heads in shame. Have the Catholics done anything right in the past 50 years ( make that 2000 Years).
Get a group going and it is amazing the stupidity...Interesting lyrics to that song ..very 1970ish

I've harbored negative views of private schools my entire life, just got back from a Father-son camp (with my nephew) from Wesley College (Buddy Franklin's school), and I'm blown away by the amount of effort, research and development in line with supporting the adolescent Male. They're astutely aware of the core values and ethic required to be fostered in young men, and as a social worker it's such a shame this sort of existence is only available for the elite class.

I guess that's capitalism, nonetheless I'd do anything to be able to afford to send my own son there.

I've harbored negative views of private schools my entire life, just got back from a Father-son camp (with my nephew) from Wesley College (Buddy Franklin's school), and I'm blown away by the amount of effort, research and development in line with supporting the adolescent Male. They're astutely aware of the core values and ethic required to be fostered in young men, and as a social worker it's such a shame this sort of existence is only available for the elite class.

I guess that's capitalism, nonetheless I'd do anything to be able to afford to send my own son there.

You keep your Private school toxic culture and I'll send my kids to Selective Public schools.

You keep your Private school toxic culture and I'll send my kids to Selective Public schools.

You think that type of behaviour doesn't happen at Melbourne High School?

Unpleasant behaviour (vomiting) yes but pales in comparison to the rubbish going on in the Private schools.

So you focus on one of the events (the Milk Run) and completely ignore the "House Captains Strip Show" that occurred at the Year 12 formal.

Both these events are the same traditional elements of 'Locker room' culture that lead to events similar to that of St. Kev's and the other private schools. It's the same form of toxic masculinity.

If you believe that Melbourne High School doesn't have the same issues with toxic masculinity you either don't understand the issue of toxic masculinity or young people today.

Parents pay top dollar for private schools so they tend to attract smarter students (those that are less intelligent don’t get sent). Unless the parents have money to burn. By VCE some schools will actually call the family up and politely suggest they may be better saving their dough (helps push up the school ATAR too).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back