Secondary Private vs Public

ssfc0203

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
IC, SAC (Titans), EC, Daredevils
Public Schools! My school is the best in Greater Western Sydney, beats a load of Private Schools & I would send my children to a public school. The PBL crap they're teaching in some private schools is.. crap.

Oct 15, 2007
Lumbridge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton
I went to a public primary, it was ok, but as I got older, I soon came to realise that the standard of education was well below that of a private school (my mate was going to one at that stage, and highly recommended it to me.

I then switched the St Stephens (Catholic Private School). The standard of learning and curriculum was far greater than that of any public schools in the area. However, the bible bashing was quite a turn-off.

I assume thats what you get with a private school, since they can essentially promote their own values and beliefs. So I recommend a private high school, thats if you can withstand them trying to convert you.

Liuy

Senior List
Feb 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Manchester United
I currently attend Melbourne High School, which is a selective entry, all boys high school from Years 9 to 12.

Before I got into MHS, I went to University High which is one of the better public schools out there.

From my experience, I would say MHS is no better than Unihigh in teaching, the reputation that MHS gets is all from its smart students.

As for a private school like Scotch College, I would say that its teaching is not much better either, but its good because of the dough that they have, and the facilities that they own. This provides their students with the best hands-on education and will pay-off in the long term.

All in all, whichever school you go to, whether it be private or public, if you work hard and thrive to achieve the best marks, you WILL do well no matter where you are.

ssfc0203

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
IC, SAC (Titans), EC, Daredevils
All the schools you've listed (SBH, SGH, NSG) are selective schools. They're going to be academically superior to almost every school in the state because they get the cream off the top every year, so to say.

Non-selective State schools in the Top 200 year after year are the schools that really show the best of public teaching. My own school - 118th last year - is a phenomenal public school. I've only started appreciating that as I'm in Year 12, unfortunately.

The Director-General of the Board of Studies visited my Modern History class a few weeks ago and wondered if it was a set up; we've been chosen to lead a new project funding the public 'super schools'.

Public schools are great. They help to instill a sense of independence in you rather than spoon feeding you & your education as Private Schools do (my brother goes to one). From Day 1 you're given responsibility of your own education.

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Good public school > Good private school

s**t private school > s**t public school

Checkers

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2007
The MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
I went to a public primary school and a public high school. I dropped out of that before I had even finished year 10 and joined a sports development program where I am doing tafe but am enrolled in a private school. We only go to the school 4 times a year but its clear the facilities, networks etc. are all much better that a public school.

I'll send my kids to a public primary school and either a good public high school or a good private school.

Meow

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2008
Moggs Creek
AFL Club
Geelong
Which do/did you go to?: Public for Primary School and Private for Secondary School.
Which do you prefer?: Private
Which do/will/did you send your kids to?: Private

Two of my kids who are in Primary School are Public, and my son in Secondary School is Private.
I prefer private, depending on the curriculum and environment you are seeking. Personally, I find that Private Schools cater for your individual needs better than that of a Public School.

beatlesmith

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Roberts Rd
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Cavs, West Perth
The void is very much overrated.
I chose to go to a public school, and have not regretted it since.
The difference is that private scools make you study, whereas public schools encourage independent learning, and as such, have those without motivation dragging them down. As a result public school leavers tend to perform better at uni because of this experience as an independent learner.
The assumption that going to a private school will make you get good marks is bogus.
I know a guy who went to WA's most expensive private school for 10 years, only to finish with the lowest TER possible. I also know a girl who went to the third 'best' school in the state, finishing 3 years ago, and is now a stripper.
My school outperforms 72 of the 79 private schools in WA, with the schools above us all taking a "if you're not going to do well, please leave" policy.
Overall, if you are naturally intelligent and are willing to put in a bit of effort, the school you go to is largely irrelevant.
$10 000 per year is sure as hell not worth it, neither is regimentation, forced extra curricular activites and shitty uniforms.

RockyBalboa

All Australian
Suspended
Nov 12, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
golf
Interetsing topic!

My wife and I decided on private, thne faced a huge issue deciding which one! We went to all the opne days etc and ended up more confused.

In the end he hired an expert who speciailises in this and he helped us and he was great. The commpany is regent consulting, if anyone is interested.

Team Mo'

Brownlow Medallist
May 17, 2007
Top 4
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Man. City, Chicago Bulls
Which do/did you go to? Public Primary and Private Seconday

Which do you prefer? Would never send a kid to a private primary school. I Don't know what I prefer in secondary as I've had no experience (none in primary the other way round) but from what my mates do at school, of what they don't do I'd much rather attend the private school.

Which do/will/did you send your kids to? Private, but only in secondary.

Back