Professional Punters

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a bloke from Canada on Twitter who quit his job to be a pro punter/tout.. He lasted a week of the Aus Open and had to "take a break". He then ended up back working in a coffee shop.

There are a few I know of but don't know much about, they're all sports punters who work on long term profitability and their money comes from return on the amount they're turning over rather than big wins. Men of mystery those blokes....

Would be nice to do one day but dunno if I could handle the stress of not having guaranteed cash flow now that I'm accustomed to a regular income.

Bob Voulgaris

Smug prick but he goes ok

Didn't he get started by putting pretty much his entire life savings on one of those Kobe/Shaq teams winning the title? He is well known for betting the over on 2nd half NBA totals when they used to just split the full game total in half.

Didn't he get started by putting pretty much his entire life savings on one of those Kobe/Shaq teams winning the title? He is well known for betting the over on 2nd half NBA totals when they used to just split the full game total in half.
He did, 2000. $70,000 @ $7.50 as a 25 year old.. Read something where he said to take big risks while you're young, with his experience it obviously paid off but can't imagine ever going in as deep as he did......

Wish there were inefficiencies in NBA markets as big as that now :( how easy

uh yeah don't believe everything you read about him, he made a hell of a lot of money by investing in sports books, and the story he tells about the 1h/2h totals thing based on coaches styles was shown to not have any evidence behind it regarding the % of covers etc.

his claim was that avery johnson coached games were much lower scoring in the 2nd half, therefore he just bet 2h under every game and cleaned up.

except that the line history from these games showed that there wasn't any high cover rate by doing this.

nets against 2h closing total lines from 6/8/2010 to 12/27/2012 (the time he coached the nets):
home
39 under
51 over

away:
under 42
over 40
push 3

total:
81 under
91 over

nets against 2h total opening lines from 6/8/2010 to 12/27/2012:

home:
39 under
50 over
1 push

away:
40 under
41 over
4 push

total:
79 under
91 over
5 push

team totals:

Home (Opening):
Over 44
Under 45

Home (Closing):
Over 44
Under 45

Away (Opening):
Over 42
Under 42

Away (Closing):
Over 42
Under 42

(Log in to remove this ad.)

having said all that i still like the guy, but he is pretty selective/obtuse with what he says about how he made his money.

The pros get rebates off the TAB which is how they make most of their money I believe. That is they turnover heaps and if they break square long term their profit is the rebate that they receive.

From a online poker perspective there is no better story than that of "Isildur1" or Victor Blom in the real world.

Came from obscurity, played a hyper aggressive style, won millions in a short space of time and sent the best online player at the time (and still renowned as one of best today) Tom "Durrrr" Dwan broke. People would log onto Full Tilt poker just to watch him play (i know i did many a times)

He then proceeded to lose it all and then some, most of it in the one four hour session! (there is a whole story regarding who and how he lost it all in that one session). Short story, the pro's realised he was too good for them at NL Holdem so they all started playing Omaha to gain an edge and a few of them started sharing info and stats on his Omaha playing style to wipe him out.

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 3.25.06 PM.png

He lost of the biggest pot in online poker history playing omaha to Patrik Antonius (the man all the ladies love, its a hard life being Patrik)

Last edited:
ok so i haven't played omaha in years and even then was iffy on the rules, but how does the 9 high straight lose that one

edit: oh thats right you can only use two of your own cards. what a terrible shove then

What about the guy from daily25.com aussie guy who punts for a living
Pretty confident he doesn't bet at the volumes he claims but I am cocksure that he is a ******* flog.

Plenty of contradictions in his posts and he's an absolute pansy. Blocks anyone who even begins to question him.

ok so i haven't played omaha in years and even then was iffy on the rules, but how does the 9 high straight lose that one

edit: oh thats right you can only use two of your own cards. what a terrible shove then

Not a terrible shove really, 45% to win even knowing Antonius flopping the wheel.

With no flush draw on the flop its pretty standard. Especially when you consider Antonius 5 bet pre flop and more than likely has an over pair to the board (which he did).

This is the beauty fearless deep stack heads up poker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back