Society/Culture Progressives, what is the most conservative belief you hold? And vice-versa for conservatives?

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I went to a Catholic private school. From graduating class, we had a single student 'out' while he was at school; after graduation, we now have around 20.

Limiting their expression, constraining who they can be, making them feel excluded is detrimental to their ououtcomes.
I was talking about similar to my wife yesterday. I went to an Anglican private school which was already somewhat progressive relative to other religious schools. But in my graduating year there was also only one "out" gay male student. Nowadays the number is much higher and that gay student is now a teacher there.

There will always be kids who will pick on any other kid who is "different" but I'm glad to see that LGBT students seem to be facing overall less bullying or discrimination these days.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s just very confusing how our society first welcome them as they are, with open arms on one hand but then on the other hand want them to abandon their core principles later on if they choose not to conform, even using laws and politics to assert this which they weren’t first instructed to obey.

What I mean is I would safely say the Islamic population would be considerably smaller in the west if they were told initially that they had to teach the LGBTQ theories and accept the community but that would mean a draconian level of immigration standards to apply and enforce on these people when relocating into a western country.

Instead at the moment they are assimilated first and then told to obey later which is destined to lead to some very messy problems in my opinion.
See my edit of this post for my opinion on this, as I saw your edit just after I replied.
I think religion will forever be at loggerheads with progressive politics no matter what is proposed.
Probably. Faith is by definition unable to be moved; progressivism is by definition constantly moving. It's compromises all the way down, unless government provided impetus to move.

And here government is providing impetus for movement.

HAPPY CHEFFY

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2022
Stockholm
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Team Usyk
I was talking about similar to my wife yesterday. I went to an Anglican private school which was already somewhat progressive relative to other religious schools. But in my graduating year there was also only one "out" gay male student. Nowadays the number is much higher and that gay student is now a teacher there.
We had no gay kids that I know of in all my school years (1980’s) but I guarantee they would’ve been ridiculed mercilessly, even by some teachers if they came out.
There will always be kids who will pick on any other kid who is "different" but I'm glad to see that LGBT students seem to be facing overall less bullying or discrimination these days.
I was raised in a strictly (alternative) religious house and was that different kid.
I wish we had these sensibilities when I was at school because the whole 10 years I can remember were just hell due to my mothers unbending beliefs and the refusal of people at the time to consider them.

mcgrath_truther

AAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Feb 27, 2023
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GWS, Gold Coast, Brisbane

as someone who realistically left school more recently than a fair number of users on bigfooty, i can distinctly recall a singular incident wherein a LGBT student was actually attacked for their identity, and it was the vice principal of one of my high school telling an openly gay student they wouldn’t be allowed to attend their graduation, and while the teacher was sacked for it, it destroyed the reputation of that school, and probably still has.

from personal experience a few people were out in high school as bisexual, and likely still are, but as far as i can tell there’s been about 30% of my graduating class across 2 schools (so like 250 kids) are queer/lgbt.

while generally speaking society is far more accepting, there’s still a social aspect that goes unspoken about with regards to youth lgbt, and that stems from a lack of proper education about issues from a school level.

barreness

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
China's one child policy has lead to future a population collapse. There will be only 500 million of them in 50 years. It's now cultural that urban women over there will only want one child if at all. Many are now so materialistic that they don't want kids because they rather have consumer goods.

Zeihan is a rube, population control is a must
Not with this economic model, hopefully the next one

Also funny itt how deeply conservative people think theyre left

mcnulty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We had one kid at school in the 80s who everyone suspected was gay (and was) and he copped it. Took it really well, which further shames everyone involved I suppose.

Interestingly though we had one teacher who was obviously (if not openly, Catholic school) gay and everyone knew it- but he was so kind, funny and caring that everyone loved him. Weird when I think back on it.

Subplot- two “hetero” teachers at the same school have since been done for abuse.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
We had one kid at school in the 80s who everyone suspected was gay (and was) and he copped it. Took it really well, which further shames everyone involved I suppose.

Interestingly though we had one teacher who was obviously (if not openly, Catholic school) gay and everyone knew it- but he was so kind, funny and caring that everyone loved him. Weird when I think back on it.

Subplot- two “hetero” teachers at the same school have since been done for abuse.

Kinda just goes without saying these days.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
At my all male Catholic school, we had two guys who were gay and in a relationship. Most people seemed OK with it - they were both pretty good guitarists so that helped things. Anyway, for school photos, brothers got one together and there was a section in the school year book, showing all the brothers in the school. These two guys convinced the photographer they were step-brothers and the guys running the year book were subversive in their own way. So amongst all of the photos of brothers in the yearbook was a photo of the couple, grinning away. My memory was everyone thought it was awesome that the students had got one over the teachers.

Back