Project Rebuild - NMFC 2023 and Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

To many yo-yo’s On here.
When we win we are going to be premiers, when we lose we are been relocated.
Stop all the negativity it’s becoming a boring read, we are not that good at the moment but it will turn, remember after round 2 ? we were premiers.
Cattle on the park and some players form improves, guess what we will be ok again.

Round 2 we had basically a full compliment of key players and the whole squad was energetic. We have repeatedly suffered from seeing what can happen when our blokes play out of their skin, Scott got them to do it many times and Shaw has as well. We see ourselves match it with the best, only to 'be a little off' a week later and drop 2 games to s**t teams. Truth is, perhaps, that the games where we matched it with the best were the oddities, not the losses to average or awful teams.

In general though we just have too many weak links in our squad, and our depth is ploddersville. We have glaring gaps on the half back flank, as well as severely missing a quality small forward. Not to mention being exposed for pace across the ground. That's with a full and healthy list. Take out Cunners, a competent second Tall forward, and a handful of others at the bottom end of the best 22 for several consecutive weeks and now we can really see how things that have worked really well for us have papered over glaring cracks in the fabric of our list.

To many yo-yo’s On here.
When we win we are going to be premiers, when we lose we are been relocated.
Stop all the negativity it’s becoming a boring read, we are not that good at the moment but it will turn, remember after round 2 ? we were premiers.
Cattle on the park and some players form improves, guess what we will be ok again.
💯 but there’s more than yo-yo’s on here.. some are flat out batshit crazy..

I've long held a suspicion Cunners would exit football early. Make his money, leave while he's still young and physically healthy enough to work with his cattle a bit, in between raising his kids and fishing, for a good few years. Food for thought.

Anyway. Half back is our biggest worry short to medium term IMO. Should have a suitcase of cash and a Spirit of Tasmania franchise lined up for Zac Williams ASAP.

Long term, midfield is a worry. It's a worry right now to be honest. Zurharr and Thomas may well end up being regulars there, most likely part time, which i think will help. Mids come along and develop pretty quickly these days though, so unless we can get an early-mid 20's A(+) grader i'd back in draft picks to develop the core of it.

Scared as sh*t to lose Taz. More scared of losing him than Goldy to be honest. We've under utilized Goldy's dominance, which will somewhat ease the pain of losing him, while over relying on Taz. Put Taz's personality in Mckay's body and we're plum sweet, other than that I have no idea how we cover that particular hole in our list without a lot of luck.

You're literally barracking for North to relocate from an emotionless, and culturally vacant, corporate perspective and not a fan one.

You do realise this right?

You seem so bitter from a lack of success that you see the only way to the winners list to be to essentially destroy the club and start over. And you're fine with that. Hell, you're barracking for it.

Burn your membership and pick another team mate, may I suggest the Gold Coast Suns? You care more about winning and getting some twisted return on your investment than you do the club itself.
It's amazing the lengths some are prepared to go to get a winning hit. Seriously how satisfying could it actually be? You might as well just change teams each season.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

We are largely ignored by the mainstream media so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the likes of K Cornes and his pit stop observations and commentary. I flat out disagree we're behind Adelaide, Fremantle and Sydney in our development. Since Round 1 2019 we've had 5 rising star nominations which is more than double the other three have had combined. Stay the course on the kids. It will work.

This club has, unfortunately, always been too scared to rebuild. This won't change unless Brady sees what we see, which I trust that he does.

This club has, unfortunately, always been too scared to rebuild. This won't change unless Brady sees what we see, which I trust that he does.

For a while there with good justification. It's basically been forced upon us now. We have a good crop of kids already so we have a decent start.

Better get use to it, as the losses keep on piling up, more and more will be adding to this voice. Atm it's just me, you better pray this voice only sticks to BF and not actually in the real world. The End Time is near for north melbourne and only thorugh the ashes can we rise again. There is no future in victoria, full stop.

I have no control over your ranting “in the real world”. If here’s any indication nobody will be listening to your barely legible crap anyway.

I think it's going to take a very ballsy move to break the status quo. We've barely moved off of center of the pack for nearly 20 years. 20 ******* years.

You can see by some of the reactions even on this very board, how rusted on some of our habits and attitudes are with regards to moving on players.

Is trading someone like Brown the icebreaker the club needs to really go in a new direction?

Maybe.

I will say this, I've never been more deflated with the club as I am now. Which has nothing to do with being 17th. More so I have no faith in the club to break this status quo, but wallow in more mediocrity. I know I can't do another 10-20 years of it without moving on with life.

I'm a die hard supporter and even my interest is starting to wane....

I don't hate any of our players, but the 'free lunch' a vast number of them have received for the best part of a decade is ******* disgraceful.

The fact that a player like Shaun Atley may end up in the top 3-4 games played for this mighty club, absolutely sums up the black hole we've endured this century. That honor has only been reached by the likes of Archer, Schimmelbusch, Simpson, Harvey. Some other absolute greats never got there. Yet a guy who has barely placed inside the top 10 in the best and fairest in his career may get there. It makes me a little bit ill thinking about it tbh.

The insane thing is, he's not alone.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow such a contrast to the posts in this thread, made just 5 weeks ago: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/best-young-group-in-30-years.1241096/

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what's been said in this thread - my view was probably one of the more pessimistic in the thread I just linked to, and 5 weeks in footy is a long time, but at the same time it really isn't. So what's really changed?

Good post, but the OP of this thread was still raising the most pertinent issue (as I remember him doing in a similar thread around 2017):

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 10.29.42 am.png

Last edited:
That's there problem, they are not real supporters. Did the Jews stop being Jews when they got booted from their homeland? Did I stop support China once I left? It's rather fixed mindset to restrict oneself to a particular location. In order to achieve victory, one must retreat when it requires. It happened for the Jews, think of the long march in China, think of Soviet retreat against Nazi attack until counterattack. We must retreat and move to somewhere with low intraclub competition. if we has moved to qld, it would be footy vs rugby, we got the afl behind our back. Right now, we are the unwanted child. Why stuck out like a sore thumb, only get smacked that much harder.

I think the analogy between NMFC and Jewish exodus is starting to strain mate. I do appreciate some of what you bring but the continued talk of relocation is gonna win you precisely zero friends here. With all due respect to your religious beliefs and knowledge, biblical stories are not relevant to the (re)location of an AFL football club in the 21st century.

If we are the "unwanted child" (tbh I think you are right here) then we continue to use this as part of our identity. We've always been underdogs. Why the * should we change that just so we have corporate bean-counters at our back? With those types at your back all you get is a knife.

Hearts to *en hearts Rad Roo, we ain't going nowhere.

Good post, but the OP of this thread was still raising the most pertinent issue (as I remember him doing in a similar thread around 2017):

View attachment 916338

2 more young quality midfielders will really help in transforming our group - Absolutely has to be a priority with our first two picks this year.

Other areas (KPD, Small Forward etc.) can be addressed later in the draft/in 2021 once we have a strong midfield core group to build around.

I think the analogy between NMFC and Jewish exodus is starting to strain mate. I do appreciate some of what you bring but the continued talk of relocation is gonna win you precisely zero friends here. With all due respect to your religious beliefs and knowledge, biblical stories are not relevant to the (re)location of an AFL football club in the 21st century.

If we are the "unwanted child" (tbh I think you are right here) then we continue to use this as part of our identity. We've always been underdogs. Why the fu** should we change that just so we have corporate bean-counters at our back? With those types at your back all you get is a knife.

Hearts to fu**en hearts Rad Roo, we ain't going nowhere.

Underdogs is just a glorified word for perennial losers. I want the club to be a winner. I want the club to be flushed with money. There us no no at in Victoria, money is everything esp for our club. We don't get to have an identity u til we have money pouring out of our asses.

2 more young quality midfielders will really help in transforming our group - Absolutely has to be a priority with our first two picks this year.

Other areas (KPD, Small Forward etc.) can be addressed later in the draft/in 2021 once we have a strong midfield core group to build around.

Hmmmm the club just said we are focusing on defenders in this yrs draft....

I think it's going to take a very ballsy move to break the status quo. We've barely moved off of center of the pack for nearly 20 years. 20 ******* years.

You can see by some of the reactions even on this very board, how rusted on some of our habits and attitudes are with regards to moving on players.

Is trading someone like Brown the icebreaker the club needs to really go in a new direction?

Maybe.

I will say this, I've never been more deflated with the club as I am now. Which has nothing to do with being 17th. More so I have no faith in the club to break this status quo, but wallow in more mediocrity. I know I can't do another 10-20 years of it without moving on with life.

I'm a die hard supporter and even my interest is starting to wane....

I don't hate any of our players, but the 'free lunch' a vast number of them have received for the best part of a decade is ******* disgraceful.

The fact that a player like Shaun Atley may end up in the top 3-4 games played for this mighty club, absolutely sums up the black hole we've endured this century. That honor has only been reached by the likes of Archer, Schimmelbusch, Simpson, Harvey. Some other absolute greats never got there. Yet a guy who has barely placed inside the top 10 in the best and fairest in his career may get there. It makes me a little bit ill thinking about it tbh.

The insane thing is, he's not alone.

Nothing against the bloke personally, he doesn't pick the team, but you can hold Atley up as symbolic of the last 10 plus years. A mediocre player in a mediocre team.

We can only hope that Brady will have the licence, and the cojones, to do what is required.

I've long held a suspicion Cunners would exit football early. Make his money, leave while he's still young and physically healthy enough to work with his cattle a bit, in between raising his kids and fishing, for a good few years. Food for thought.

Anyway. Half back is our biggest worry short to medium term IMO. Should have a suitcase of cash and a Spirit of Tasmania franchise lined up for Zac Williams ASAP.

Long term, midfield is a worry. It's a worry right now to be honest. Zurharr and Thomas may well end up being regulars there, most likely part time, which i think will help. Mids come along and develop pretty quickly these days though, so unless we can get an early-mid 20's A(+) grader i'd back in draft picks to develop the core of it.

Scared as sh*t to lose Taz. More scared of losing him than Goldy to be honest. We've under utilized Goldy's dominance, which will somewhat ease the pain of losing him, while over relying on Taz. Put Taz's personality in Mckay's body and we're plum sweet, other than that I have no idea how we cover that particular hole in our list without a lot of luck.

You're literally barracking for North to relocate from an emotionless, and culturally vacant, corporate perspective and not a fan one.

You do realise this right?

You seem so bitter from a lack of success that you see the only way to the winners list to be to essentially destroy the club and start over. And you're fine with that. Hell, you're barracking for it.

Burn your membership and pick another team mate, may I suggest the Gold Coast Suns? You care more about winning and getting some twisted return on your investment than you do the club itself.

Time to rid of the past, kill it if you have
Refer to Mckay, EVW, Durdin, Neilsen draft history. It's a mistake.

The whole club has been a mistake for the last 20 years, no clear direction post carey, we are light years away from success (Damien Barrett and Llyod).

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing against the bloke personally, he doesn't pick the team, but you can hold Atley up as symbolic of the last 10 plus years. A mediocre player in a mediocre team.

We can only hope that Brady will have the licence, and the cojones, to do what is required.

Not only that, i feel the club is trying hard.........to catch up. Catching up at the best of time will only get you on par but not surpass. We need to surpass and the first step towards surpassing is to subvert. Using global politics for instance, China will never surpass western nations by simply surpass but also subverting the global rules based world order and create your own one. Of course certain nations will sanction and other crap, does china give a s**t? no, simply wall yourselves off and have your own territory, live much better. We need to find a land that is not as full so we have space for survival.

We need to also subvert and the first 'victim' should be our own club. We need to kill off the club from within to become not North Melbourne because that name is associated with mediocrity. Some would say punching above one's weight meaning we are still feather weight. How does a feather weight boxer win against the super heavy weights? He uses a sledge hammer, he puts metal plates in his glove, he poisons his opponents and so on. We need to find means outside of the club and use any and every means to subvert. Who cares if it makes the club a soulless place, your main job is to survive then become profitable so it benefits those stakeholders. To the average joes, the club is there to win matches, how we win does not better, where we win does not matter. Winning is everything.

The only way we can subvert the current status quo is to first gut a bunch of players who we rely week-in week-out but are really liabilities and thorw the youngsters to the wolves. Australia is a nation that supports losers but cuts high achievers. How bad can we fall by doing a melbourne, a gc, a brisbane, a carlton. Hold AFL to ransom to support us during the tough time. Else, relocation is always on the table, afl wants us to do so, other vic clubs wants us to do so and we will get support from the state that we will relocate to. If the kangaroos still cannot survive and thrive and find success with afl and state government backed money then the club deserves to rot away and be forgotten.

We do have a batch of youngsters coming in and this draft we can get at least 2 top picks. We could get 3 if we offload brown and 2nd rounder for a first rounder. From 2016 onwards, we have draft relatively well, at least on par with the other clubs. We need to tank as low as possible although dont' think we can knock off adelaide but if melbourne can fall lower then it's great. Trade brown and 2nd rouder for another first rounder. Phase out cunnington, take captaincy off ziebell and retire him off after the current contract ends. Players like anderson, mcmillan, jacobs, garner, evw, tyson should all be given the chop at the earliest possible time. Durdin and Mackay are still young enough (24 and 22 this year) for key position players defenders. Tarrant nearing the end and walker moving forward, 2 position suddenly opened up, these 2 are actually important.

So all-in-all, anderson, ziebell and cunnington are at the core of the issue. These 3 are essentially our BIG 3 and they are below par players by today's industrial standard and requirement. You could argue cunnington is 'elite' but what he is elite at is not what is needed in today's game, the other 2 are just glorified C graders. Get rid of these 3 and half a dozen of those perennially injured, you clear the air of the club of the negativity. If you always have a batch of injured players around for a long time, it builds this negativity at the club.

We've really missed the boat in a lot of ways.

I was a big proponent for trading Goldstein a couple of years back (when he had real currency still) as it was clear then we did not have the list to threaten post the retirement of Boomer etc. However Brad would not hear of it.

It's the sort of tough decision the Saints took in shipping out McEvoy, Dal Santo etc when they had genuine trade value. We chose not to do that and have ended up with this terribly out of balance list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back