PROJECT: Take Ownership

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Have you guys noticed a trend that continues to plague us every season? The southern media always seems to smash us at this time of the year and just constantly talk about how we're going to lose all our young talent. Why are we always the victims of this? I'm of the strong belief that it actually has to do with a lack of corporate support at our club which essentially eliminates any possibility of spending the full salary cap each year, establishing third party deals to appeal to potential recruits/re-signings, signing lucrative sponsorship deals etc. So we're behind the pack even before we start each year and I would argue we've never really been on a level playing field throughout our existence. A strongly corporate supported club like West Coast has very few issues when it comes to this but conversely you see a club with significantly less corporate muscle in Fremantle struggle year after year losing highly rated players like Cerra, Neale, Weller in the last five years alone. Yeeted Suns quite rightly pointed out that there is serious wealth on the Gold Coast and a potential solution to our problem is for anyone who is passionate about our club to team up with business owners to establish greater corporate muscle for the club. It could be as simple as inviting a friend with corporate links to a game at Metricon to start the process of converting them into a passionate Suns fan like all of us. Feel free to share ideas like that in this thread.

The point of this thread is really to encourage all Suns fans (particularly those fed up with our continual struggles) to 'Take Ownership' of our club and try to help establish greater corporate support so we can compete on the national stage. The ultimate goal would be to literally take ownership of the club from the AFL and hold member meetings where we can vote in the board of directors, presidents etc to represent us but that comes further down the track.

So if you're feeling this idea then join the discussion and let's get this ball rolling!

Have you guys noticed a trend that continues to plague us every season? The southern media always seems to smash us at this time of the year and just constantly talk about how we're going to lose all our young talent. Why are we always the victims of this? I'm of the strong belief that it actually has to do with a lack of corporate support at our club which essentially eliminates any possibility of spending the full salary cap each year, establishing third party deals to appeal to potential recruits/re-signings, signing lucrative sponsorship deals etc. So we're behind the pack even before we start each year and I would argue we've never really been on a level playing field throughout our existence. A strongly corporate supported club like West Coast has very few issues when it comes to this but conversely you see a club with significantly less corporate muscle in Fremantle struggle year after year losing highly rated players like Cerra, Neale, Weller in the last five years alone. Yeeted Suns quite rightly pointed out that there is serious wealth on the Gold Coast and a potential solution to our problem is for anyone who is passionate about our club to team up with business owners to establish greater corporate muscle for the club. It could be as simple as inviting a friend with corporate links to a game at Metricon to start the process of converting them into a passionate Suns fan like all of us. Feel free to share ideas like that in this thread.

The point of this thread is really to encourage all Suns fans (particularly those fed up with our continual struggles) to 'Take Ownership' of our club and try to help establish greater corporate support so we can compete on the national stage. The ultimate goal would be to literally take ownership of the club from the AFL and hold member meetings where we can vote in the board of directors, presidents etc to represent us but that comes further down the track.

So if you're feeling this idea then join the discussion and let's get this ball rolling!

Great topic raised this has been a long term issue for me

The club is operated like a big Melbourne club when in fact it’s currently more like a local community club, there’s an inability to attract large corporate sponsors and support and the flow on from from this with unavailability to attract players and staff

There’s no “power brokers” with a voice involved in the club and the board is made up of majority local successful business and sports people who don’t seem to offer anything other than decisions on the running of the club, I’d also like to see a football person appointed to the board similar to how the giants appoints Jimmy Bartel

I also wonder if there’s any type of business plan because nothing much seems to change corporate wise to attract new partners

There’s no external revenue streams coming in other than a couple major sponsors and a bunch of small ones, low membership/game day gate, afl handouts and occasional events at the stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back