Project Undertaking - 100 Champions of Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Pie 4 Life put together a great series of articles on 120 players for the clubs 120th year.

I toyed with doing something similar for our 125 years and actually had my players all but decided using different and reasonably strict criteria, however I delayed posting it after the release of Champions of Collingwood book and haven't looked over it since. Might refresh my list and fill an off-season with it one year.
Thanks!
But Pie for Life are you telling me that Alan Didak isn't there lol

Updated List Below:. Im not sure if we can edit threads on here, if so please tell me. Keep in mind that i wont be really removing any players because this is only the shortlisting stage.

Shortlist

1890’s:

• Bill Strickland
  • Charlie E. Pannam
1900’s:

• Lardie Tulloch
  • ‘Jock’ McHale
  • Bill Proudfoot
  • Fred Leach
  • Teddy Lockwood
  • Dick Condon
  • George Angus
1910’s:

• Dan Minogue
  • Les Hughes
  • Ted Rowell
  • Walter ‘Dick’ Lee
1920’s:

• Gordon Coventry
  • Syd Coventry
  • Harry Chesswas
  • Albert Collier
  • Jack Beveridge
1930’s:

• Marcus Whelan
  • Alby Pannam
  • Percy Bowyer
  • Harold Rumney
  • Jack Regan
  • Ron Todd
  • Bruce Andrew
  • Harry Collier
1940’s:

• Des Fothergill
  • Phonse Kyne
  • Lou Richards
1950’s:

• Bob Rose
  • Murray Weideman
  • John Henderson
  • Thorold Merrett
  • Frank Tuck
  • Ron Kingston
  • Peter Lucas
  • Bill Twomey Jr.
  • Neil Mann
  • Des Healy
1960’s:

• Peter McKenna
  • Ted Potter
  • Ray Gabelich
  • Des Tuddenham
  • Ken Turner
  • Terry Waters
1970’s:

• Phil Carman
  • Billy Picken
  • Stan Magro
  • Ross Dunne
  • Phil Manassa
  • John Greening
  • Len Thompson
  • Ray Shaw
  • Max Richardson
  • Peter Moore
  • Ronnie Wearmouth
  • Wayne Richardson
1980’s:

• Darren Millane
  • Mark Williams
  • Denis Banks
  • Jamie Turner
  • Tony Shaw
  • Brian Taylor
  • Peter Daicos
  • Ricky Barham
  • James Manson
  • Shane Morwood
1990’s:

• Mick McGuane
  • Scott Russell
  • Gavin Brown
  • Saverio Rocca
  • Damian Monkhorst
  • Graham Wright
  • Gary Pert (selected because of contributions as CEO)
2000’s:

• Nathan Buckley
  • Alan Didak
  • Paul Licuria
  • Simon Prestigiacomo
  • James Clement
  • Anthony Rocca
  • Brodie Holland
  • Dale Thomas
  • Heath Shaw
  • Shane O’Bree
  • Nick Maxwell
  • Scott Burns
  • Harry O’Brien (Heritier Lumumba)
  • Ben Johnson
  • Chris Tarrant
2010’s:

• Dane Swan
  • Scott Pendlebury
  • Travis Cloke
  • Steele Sidebottom
  • Dayne Beams

Glad Graham Wright and Ronnie Wearmouth made the updated list. Kinky?

Just a thought, Tony Francis has more Brownlow votes than Dale Thomas, Brodie Holland and Harry O combined and is also a Copeland Trophy winning, AA, Premiership player...
Make no mistake Tony Francis arrival at Collingwood 1990 went huge to fulfilling a flag.

Matthews told the recruiters etc, just get him.
I think you’ll find he was tied into Norwood for 1990 so we bought him out or whatever was required at the time.

He started awkwardly with poor foot skills costing him 6 weeks.
Then he returned and went so good. Helped us immensely.

Big get.

Very very very good player.

Yeah, they're the only posters on this forum who actually got to see Charlie Pannam play.
Hang on there, not Charlie.

More Nuts Coventry onwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have Paul Williams ahead of Wright and Russell in the 90's. Guy was a distant second to bucks for a good five years. Played in a s**t side most of the time which didnt help. Crossisca and Leon Davis unlucky if guys like holland and lumumba make the cut.
Good luck with the list.

Great project, I've always probably for 20 years wanted to sit down and rank my top 50 players of all time as I'm a bit of a history buff of Collingwood especially the Machine Team era.

Tony Francis made all australian team in 1991. Looking at other 'all australian' (or the equivalent) selections OR the best players in the carnival (i.e. they were the best in the VFL, then best in the representative games) for players who you haven't considered or the lesser lights (as far back as 1948):
- Raines 1985
- Mike Richardson 1983
- Ricky Watt 1969
- Des Healey multiple times 1955, 1953, 1949
- Lerrel Sharp 1953
- Gordon Hocking 1950
- Len Fitzgerald 1948

Not saying these are all greats just that if you're trying to get quite a high number of players, you're looking at a 'shortlist' of around 10 per decade, it's easy to remember the more 'serviceable' players from the more recent eras but as time goes on you do forget about those in bygone eras so it might be good to look into those and see what you can find. Basically try to find the equivalent of Presti/O'Bree/Lumumba/Holland of their eras. Like how does someone like Michael Christian compare? Probably a bit behind Presti because of games but he was a solid player too.

Don't forget Medhurst. It really depends on your criteria, do you go for volume of work or do you value players at their best. He had 1 amazing season (all australian) and another (or maybe 2 more) solid seasons.

As for more modern eras if Shane O'Bree and Holland make the list then Lockyer certainly does. Something to consider is Wright almost won the brownlow in 1990 (lost by 1 vote). I would definitely consider Lumumba in the running he was one of the premier running defenders for around 3 years and anyone who dominates in a premiership year should be considered a champion of Collingwood, even Dale Thomas.

Ron Richards had a solid career and apparently starred in the grand final. Despite Brownlows being awarded retrospectively you've got to remember that hasn't been done for the Norm Smith which would change our opinions of some of the older players.

I had a go at a top 50 Magpies somewhere on here.
No idea how I’d find it though.

If I do I’ll revamp it here.

Found it :) but I’ll make slight amendments so what you see is updated as best as I can on the run.

My 50 best ish players, not in any order, I may seek to edit one or two as I remember someone but essentially:

J McHale, R Condon, R Rose, N Buckley, S Pendlebury

G Coventry, S Coventry, A Collier, H Collier, W H Lee,

J Regan, G Pert, C Dibbs, D Tuddenham, M Whelan,

P Daicos, D Millane, G Brown, D Swan, A Shaw,

P McKenna, B Price, L Thompson, P Moore, D Minogue,

E Rowell, H Rumney, L Tulloch, G Angus, W Proudfoot,

F Leach, C Pannam, J Clement, L Richards, W Twomey,

D Fothergill, T Merrett, N Mann, M Weideman, W Strickland,

D Cloke, B Grundy, M Williams, J Greening, P Carman,

W Richardson, A Kyne, W Picken, J De Goey, S Burns.

Last edited:
Do you seriously have Holland ahead of Lockyer and Davis? Like seriously?

Lockyer - finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in the Copeland and didn’t miss the top ten in a non-injury interrupted year during the decade. Something like 21st overall for games played and 49th overall for goals kicked despite playing much of his career as a back pocket.

Holland - finished 2nd and 5th in the Copeland once a piece. Never placed top ten in any other year.

Great thread and idea
I disagree with those suggesting O'Brien / Lumumba should be omitted
I regard him as a modern day great and personality issues shouldn't come into it
2 players from the 1970s Stan Magro and Phil Manassa should definitely not be included
Agree with those wanting Paul Williams in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back