Movie Prometheus

Remove this Banner Ad

It was ok if you like that sort of thing I suppose - I really just went to humour my son. After decades watching movies I still don't really get the appeal of these Sci Fi blockbuster type deals. The scene where the female lead gets the alien aborted was ok I guess, but apart from that: meh.

As side note, this philosophy that Hollywood love to push of there being "something greater than us" out there, somewhere, really annoys the crap out of me. Americans just can't leave Christianity behind....even in SciFi

As side note, this philosophy that Hollywood love to push of there being "something greater than us" out there, somewhere, really annoys the crap out of me. Americans just can't leave Christianity behind....even in SciFi

Actually I think it is the total opposite.

Scott thinks that religion is the cause of most of the problems in the world. I think a big theme of this movie is that our creators are nothing special.

David is pretty much the narrator of the whole film. You need to pay attention to everything he says.

One of the most important conversations in the film:

David: Why do you think your people made me?

Holloway: We made you because we could.

David: Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you, to hear the same thing from your creator?

Actually I think it is the total opposite.

Scott thinks that religion is the cause of most of the problems in the world. I think a big theme of this movie is that our creators are nothing special.

David is pretty much the narrator of the whole film. You need to pay attention to everything he says.

You have made some good points, but I don't agree that the theme is "opposite" to a Christian theme. I think the part that irked me was the scene when Waylin explained why he financing the venture: "to answer the big questions, such as what is the meaning of life" ( or words to that effect, sorry I wish I could find the actual dialogue). Without getting all Neitzschean, it is a very Abrahamic religious view to believe that there is even an inherent meaning to life that must be found. As someone who has had a long interest in philsophy, it is one of those false attempts at profundity that really gets my goat. I'm no expert on Scott's worldview, but if he is an atheist, or argue that religion is the cause of many problems as you suggest, then he is still appears to be suffering a very Western/ Chrisitian basis to his thinking, in my less than humble opinion.

David: Why do you think your people made me?

Holloway: We made you because we could.

David: Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you, to hear the same thing from your creator?

right. so why would we find this "disappointing"?

Hahaha, your avatar is the Pope with a lightsaber :thumbsu:
;)

I saw it again yesterday and found the flaws a little easier to dismiss. Infact, the first 45mins is 10/10 perfection, and the opening is incredibly beautiful(although the following cave scene is mediocre). Holloway is more likeable the second time around. Fifield looking back before going in is more powerful in hindsight, quick little character shots that have more emotional power the 2nd time around.

One problem I felt was the cheap deaths of the 2 Weyland characters. Especially Vickers. Infact, it would have made more sense for Vickers to birth the alien, not the space jockey. A Weyland birthing possibly the first alien is just poetic. Not to mention that Vickers presence in the film was very feline and robotic at once, not unlike the alien. She should have jettisoned inside the lifeboat, and Shaw should have found her being facesucked later on. The Space Jockey and David maybe should just have perished in the crash. Lost opportunity imo. Kate Dickie's character was also underused I felt, she had screentime but barely any lines. She was also visibly scared of the space jockey, so her death should have been a little more disturbing I feel.

I love it though, I'll be buying it on DVD.

I've read a few reviews now (most linked in this thread) some glowing and some not so much (such as the link posted by Thrawn above). I have to say I agree with all of them both negative and positive. I agree with most of the holes pointed out in the imdb posters review and was laughing at most of those things in the movie myself when they occurred. I also appreciate the in-depth reviews dealing with the bigger questions and deeper analysis.

The bottom line though is that I enjoyed it while I was watching it and think the idea's were more important/interesting than some of the clunky execution. I can understand people not liking it though as it certainly doesn't live up to the original Alien/Aliens (I'd actually forgotten how good Aliens was until I went and rewatched it the other day - a close to perfect movie).

It was terrible.

This sums it up pretty much.

a_001AlMatthews.jpg

Look into my eye!

I've read a few reviews now (most linked in this thread) some glowing and some not so much (such as the link posted by Thrawn above). I have to say I agree with all of them both negative and positive. I agree with most of the holes pointed out in the imdb posters review and was laughing at most of those things in the movie myself when they occurred. I also appreciate the in-depth reviews dealing with the bigger questions and deeper analysis.

The bottom line though is that I enjoyed it while I was watching it and think the idea's were more important/interesting than some of the clunky execution. I can understand people not liking it though as it certainly doesn't live up to the original Alien/Aliens (I'd actually forgotten how good Aliens was until I went and rewatched it the other day - a close to perfect movie).

Whats amazing about Alien is that it is an old old movie. Its 23 year old SCI-FI and an absolute classic. Which IMO beats most SCI-FI movies of today which when you think SCI-FI relies on special effects etc goes to show how great it was.

A Prometheus sequel is likely and I can imagine another expedition arrives at the "planet". It will IMO be much more gory and gruesome than the first as would be expected as the first one laid the foundation for a trilogy IMO which will lead to Alien and an Alien reboot IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt, older sci-fi films are way better than their modern day equivalents (for the most part) - what they lacked in CGI/special effects they made up with with actually producing a detailed, in-depth story line. I couldn't give a stuff about special effects for the most part but they should be used to enhance the storyline, not in place of it.

You have made some good points, but I don't agree that the theme is "opposite" to a Christian theme. I think the part that irked me was the scene when Waylin explained why he financing the venture: "to answer the big questions, such as what is the meaning of life" ( or words to that effect, sorry I wish I could find the actual dialogue). Without getting all Neitzschean, it is a very Abrahamic religious view to believe that there is even an inherent meaning to life that must be found. As someone who has had a long interest in philsophy, it is one of those false attempts at profundity that really gets my goat. I'm no expert on Scott's worldview, but if he is an atheist, or argue that religion is the cause of many problems as you suggest, then he is still appears to be suffering a very Western/ Chrisitian basis to his thinking, in my less than humble opinion.

I think that most of the charicters embody different ideas, think that Waylin is about as far away from the hero of the film as you can get. The engineer did not seem like he was overly thrilled to meet him.

Saw this today.

Personally I feel the movie was trying to be a lot smarter than it actually was. Yeah there might be 'deeper questions' to be asked and such, but at the end of the day there was a lot of basic themes that went through the film for a lot of it and kind of made it a little bland for a good majority of the run time.

Some good and interesting stuff scattered through, mostly undercut by most exposition that just wasn't really as interesting as someone obviously thought it was or was meant to be.

Thought David was a fantastic character, could've just been solely about him (even though much of it was) and the movie would've been about 10 times better. Fassbender is an absolutely superb actor.

The Alien nod was as subtle as a sledgehammer to the head too. Surely there could have been something far less blatant? Felt like pure fanwank.

There were giant holes, just as Thrawn's link shows, but for the most part it I enjoyed it. Anyone care to speculate why SPOILER ALERT

The humanoids were trying to kill us? That didn't make sense, why would you come and be the evolutionary beginning of a species and then wait 10,000s of years to destroy them?

It was terrible.

This sums it up pretty much.
The movie has some serious flaws and is never going to be everyone’s cup of tea but I think about half of the criticism in the link are completely valid and the other half are just silly rants.

If you are able to look beyond some of the dumb stuff on the surface the film has a hell of a lot of really interesting stuff going on underneath.

There were giant holes, just as Thrawn's link shows, but for the most part it I enjoyed it. Anyone care to speculate why SPOILER ALERT

The humanoids were trying to kill us? That didn't make sense, why would you come and be the evolutionary beginning of a species and then wait 10,000s of years to destroy them?

Probably because humans pissed them off in some way over our existence. And possibly the theory that (spoilers) Jesus was one of the engineers who tried to take us off the path we were straying on and our crucifiction of him really pissed them off.

That, or simply the reason a child pulls the wings off a fly or squashes an insect, or why we kill animals.

Because we can.

This is what I though.

1. They are developing a biological weapon that can alter DNA
2. They need to test out how the biological weapon works before they can use it. Obviously they do not want to test it on themselves.
3. Create another species based on your DNA. Wait until the population reaches a certain size and test your weapon.

Thought it was utterly terrible. Very asthetically pleasing but story and characters were no-existant verging on stupid.

Saw it tonight. Not terrible, just mediocre, however your assessment is about right - artistically gorgeous but the story went silly quite early and unsuspended my disbelief way too easily. Lots of ambition and no way to pull it all off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back