Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
The bit I found a bit hard to believe:

The video which was apparently sent to everyone except Cassie, now assuming the movie is based in recent times and it happened seven years ago that takes us back to roughly 2014, surely the world was awake enough then for one other person to go actually no this isn't right.

Regarding the ending...

My take on it was definitely she planned/knew she was going to die. The strong underlying message was that police/authorities/society only cared at the point of a murder and were not interested in the abuse that took place before. Similar to a lot of what seems to be going on in the world currently.

She didn't plan it, she just had a contingency knowing the reality of being a female in that situation.

The writer/director has said as much.

Ok yeah that's what I initially thought.

Although I do think it's fair to read it as suicide given how ****ed up her state of mind would have been having learned about her BF's involvement.

She has indeed.
In a sense, maybe the "burning her body" should have been the end. It felt more real imho, and the wedding scene maybe tacked on a little. Real life aint no fairy tale and the bad guys IRL hardly gets whats coming to them (iirc read 13% of rape cases make it to court here) so yeah... idk its a hard one. I didnt hate the ending, but I didnt love it either. I need to see the movie again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The bit I found a bit hard to believe:

The video which was apparently sent to everyone except Cassie, now assuming the movie is based in recent times and it happened seven years ago that takes us back to roughly 2014, surely the world was awake enough then for one other person to go actually no this isn't right.

Nahhhh.

Theres still plenty of places in this world were it wouldnt raise alarm now (current Oz parliament for example).

In a sense, maybe the "burning her body" should have been the end. It felt more real imho, and the wedding scene maybe tacked on a little. Real life aint no fairy tale and the bad guys IRL hardly gets whats coming to them (iirc read 13% of rape cases make it to court here) so yeah... idk its a hard one. I didnt hate the ending, but I didnt love it either. I need to see the movie again.

I can defs see your point but i think...

This isnt really a fairytale, she had to die a pretty horrible and violent death for the rapist/no murderer to face any sort of justice at all. Furthermore take this to the next likely outcome, both dudes probably get some sort of ridiculous plea deal and given the drugging and attempted murder she was likely to commit they would have alot of leeway. Probably some light jail time, possibly no jail time. Cassie character assassination in the trial over her murder would have been absolutely brutal.

Yeah said to my wife coming out that I think the movie would have been even scarier/realer if the movie had ended with
her dead and the guys at the wedding smiling into the camera having gotten away with it.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
a psychotic nutter does some horrible s**t to people who were and weren’t involved in a traumic incident that involved her friend. it inevitably has dire repercussions.
I get the message, just don’t think it’s conveyed very well...or perhaps I’m not woke enough

a psychotic nutter does some horrible sh*t to people who were and weren’t involved in a traumic incident that involved her friend. it inevitably has dire repercussions.
I get the message, just don’t think it’s conveyed very well...or perhaps I’m not woke enough

Who does she do horrible s**t to that wasn't involved?

Imho. It should be on the syllabus for Year 9s.

I think they'd be mature enough to handle and discuss it.
Do you mean PYW?

You wouldn’t even be able to show it to Year 12s let alone Year 9s. The reality of modern schooling/parent complaints.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I haven't seen it but it sounds like a third wave feminist "all men are evil" movie so I'll probably give it a miss.

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm so going to look up more Hitchcock films. Psycho, Rear Window and Dial M, are the first few on my list.

Notorious is way too underrated and probably my favourite Hitchcock. Vertigo and North by Northwest are also amazing must-see.

I haven't seen it but it sounds like a third wave feminist "all men are evil" movie so I'll probably give it a miss.

I think it flirts with this to its detriment. There was a definite joy to seeing the creeps at bars getting theirs, but
the inevitability of the nice guy boyfriend having been involved with the past trauma was way too predictable, and his douchey attempts to justify himself jarred too much with how the character had been written to that point.

But I was very much with the movie for its first two acts, and thought there were still some boldness to parts of the third, even if it fell apart a little for me. I think it was a good movie, but nowhere near a masterpiece, and probably for me the least of this year's Best Picture nominees I've seen (all of them except The Father). For a similar exploration of surviving with the repercussions of sexual assault, I thought I May Destroy You was a far more brilliant and profound achievement.

Maybe if you haven't seen it don't pretend to offer any sort of authoritative opinion on what it's about?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Maybe if you haven't seen it don't pretend to offer any sort of authoritative opinion on what it's about?

How is saying "it sounds like.. " offering an authoritative opinion? Lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back