Movie Promising Young Woman

How is saying "it sounds like.. " offering an authoritative opinion? Lol.

You're passing opinion on the movie before watching it and coming into this thread presumably after a bite, so I guess well done?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
You're passing opinion on the movie before watching it and coming into this thread presumably after a bite, so I guess well done?

Again, how is saying "it sounds like" passing an opinion?

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The irony in a dude saying he doesn’t wanna watch the movie because it’s all “all men are evil” in the current climate where we are finding out (or being reinforced) that

A) an OVERWHELMING amount of women have been victimized and
B) an OVERWHELMING amount of men have never been held to account for their actions

Can’t really be overstated. By all means feel free not to watch the movie but don’t get all “whoa is me as a man”.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
The irony in a dude saying he doesn’t wanna watch the movie because it’s all “all men are evil” in the current climate where we are finding out (or being reinforced) that

A) an OVERWHELMING amount of women have been victimized and
B) an OVERWHELMING amount of men have never been held to account for their actions

Can’t really be overstated. By all means feel free not to watch the movie but don’t get all “whoa is me as a man”.

I'm part of a minority group that have been victimized a lot more than women ever have been and experience discrimination on a daily basis. I was a fan of the first and second wave of feminism and wrote several essays in support of it at university. I am a big admirer of people like Simone de Beauvoir and Virginia Woolf. Even going back to the 19th century with people like Charlotte Bronte. Bronte wrote a novel called Jane Eyre which was an early feminist text. However she portrayed the main male protagonist Rochester as a kind-hearted man who was ultimately as much as a victim of patriarchy as Jane Eyre. First and second wave feminism fought for equality, which I am very much in favour of. The third and fourth wave of feminism, not all of it but a great deal of it, seeks to portray male as "other" and an enemy to be vanquished. In my opinion it is not a positive kind of feminism as it posits female vs male as some kind of battle to be engaged in and doesn't take into account that a lot of males, particularly those who belong to a minority group, are as much a victim of the system as they are.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm part of a minority group that have been victimized a lot more than women ever have been and experience discrimination on a daily basis. I was a fan of the first and second wave of feminism and wrote several essays in support of it at university. I am a big admirer of people like Simone de Beauvoir and Virginia Woolf. Even going back to the 19th century with people like Charlotte Bronte. Bronte wrote a novel called Jane Eyre which was an early feminist text. However she portrayed the main male protagonist Rochester as a kind-hearted man who was ultimately as much as a victim of patriarchy as Jane Eyre. First and second wave feminism fought for equality, which I am very much in favour of. The third and fourth wave of feminism, not all of it but a great deal of it, seeks to portray male as "other" and an enemy to be vanquished. In my opinion it is not a positive kind of feminism as it posits female vs male as some kind of battle to be engaged in and doesn't take into account that a lot of males, particularly those who belong to a minority group, are as much a victim of the system as they are.
Whole lotta words to say “woe is me” but it’s not a competition mate.

You don’t wanna see the movie don’t, coming into the thread to decree it as “man hating” is pretty pathetic.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Whole lotta words to say “woe is me” but it’s not a competition mate.

You don’t wanna see the movie don’t, coming into the thread to decree it as “man hating” is pretty pathetic.

You're the one making it a competition by making personal attacks because someone has a different opinion. Get over yourself.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm part of a minority group that have been victimized a lot more than women ever have been
You're the one making it a competition by making personal attacks because someone has a different opinion. Get over yourself.
Yeh, I’m the one making it a competition.

If you’re not going to contribute about the film go have your say in the SRP thread.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Yeh, I’m the one making it a competition.

If you’re not going to contribute about the film go have your say in the SRP thread.

You were the one that made a statement that I have no right as a man to feel "Woe is me". I was pointing out that as a gay man I actually do face discrimination and so do men of other ethnic and cultural minorities. All men aren't in the same position of power.

You were the one that made a statement that I have no right as a man to feel "Woe is me". I was pointing out that as a gay man I actually do face discrimination and so do men of other ethnic and cultural minorities. All men aren't in the same position of power.
Move along mate.

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
If a movie is well done but doesn’t share your political or social outlook, can you still enjoy the movie? I feel like too often people say no (or, conversely, like movies that aren’t necessarily great because they like its message, like a lot of the love for Joker).

It’s great when a movie’s views align with mine, but I’d be cutting off a lot if that’s all I watched and enjoyed, particularly preemptively?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Move along mate.

Ok champ. I'm done here if people are too dumb to see that the world doesn't just exist in binary terms.

Ok champ. I'm done here if people are too dumb to see that the world doesn't just exist in binary terms.

:think: Says the person who is doing exactly that. Have you watched the film? Do you reckon maybe before launching on a rant about man-hating feminists, watching the material might be somewhat relevant? For the record several men in the film are presented as normal, well-meaning men. But is there an undercurrent of suggesting that even men that look and act quite nice can have ulterior motives? Yeah. And guess what, that's real life. If you don't like it then tough. If it makes you uncomfortable, that's the entire ******* point.

If your entire motive for entering this thread is to bitch that this movie doesn't take into account your suffering, you're no better than the "Not all men" or "Why isn't there an International Mens Day" crowd. Not every piece of art or commentary has to take into account all forms of prejudice for it to be valid.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
No one, except you, suggested it did. You were literally the person who said “I’ve suffered more and longer”.

I’m not suggesting for a second you haven’t struggled but getting all bent outta shape about a film highlighting a very true and very well known issue for women and making a point of sticking your flag in a thread where it’s discussed does nothing but make it a competition.

You’re welcome to discuss those issues but this isn’t the place for it. More broadly I would suggest that the type of person who immediately goes to “it’s worse for me” probably doesn’t have the type of empathy needed to absorb the message of this film.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
:think: Says the person who is doing exactly that. Have you watched the film? Do you reckon maybe before launching on a rant about man-hating feminists, watching the material might be somewhat relevant? For the record several men in the film are presented as normal, well-meaning men. But is there an undercurrent of suggesting that even men that look and act quite nice can have ulterior motives? Yeah. And guess what, that's real life. If you don't like it then tough. If it makes you uncomfortable, that's the entire ******* point.

If your entire motive for entering this thread is to b*tch that this movie doesn't take into account your suffering, you're no better than the "Not all men" or "Why isn't there an International Mens Day" crowd. Not every piece of art or commentary has to take into account all forms of prejudice for it to be valid.

Not what I'm saying at all but good try.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
No one, except you, suggested it did. You were literally the person who said “I’ve suffered more and longer”.

I’m not suggesting for a second you haven’t struggled but getting all bent outta shape about a film highlighting a very true and very well known issue for women and making a point of sticking your flag in a thread where it’s discussed does nothing but make it a competition.

You’re welcome to discuss those issues but this isn’t the place for it. More broadly I would suggest that the type of person who immediately goes to “it’s worse for me” probably doesn’t have the type of empathy needed to absorb the message of this film.

Again nice try at attempting to understand my point but you fell short.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Won the AACTA International for Best Picture, a precursor stat which traditionally positions it well for Oscar Best Picture contention. 7/9 AACTA winners ultimately went on to be top 2 Oscar contenders, and the other two (Fury Road’s 6 oscars & Silver Linings Playbook’s rare nom sweep) were significant players as well.
This is proving to be the case. ProYo seems to be the only realistic chance to upset Nomadland now. Minari also a slight chance.

The other five aren't exactly filler no-hopers, but very difficult for me to see them winning. Mank (no Screenplay/Editing) and Judah (no Director/Editing) are effectively dead, 0% chance of winning, whereas The Father, Trial of the Chicago 7 and Sound of Metal are <5% long shots which all lack a Director nom. Those three will require some wins in other major categories to have a hope on the night.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
On the Hitch discussion, I've seen 39 of his films and I think Vertigo is far and away his finest work, but also have a big soft spot for Rebecca, Suspicion (which is underappreciated to me) and Dial M for Murder.

His direction in other films like Psycho is also stellar and highly worthy of study.

The only ones I don't particularly like are mediocre efforts like Paradine Case & Stage Fright, and those cases where I enjoy the sources but disagree with his adaptation choices (Juno & the Paycock & Under Capricorn), but I don't think he has ever made anything truly terrible, they all have something and the majority are decent. His post-Psycho 60s & 70s work is maligned in some quarters but I count myself a fan of all of them.

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
On the Hitch discussion, I've seen 39 of his films and I think Vertigo is far and away his finest work, but also have a big soft spot for Rebecca, Suspicion (which is underappreciated to me) and Dial M for Murder.

His direction in other films like Psycho is also stellar and highly worthy of study.

The only ones I don't particularly like are mediocre efforts like Paradine Case & Stage Fright, and those cases where I enjoy the sources but disagree with his adaptation choices (Juno & the Paycock & Under Capricorn), but I don't think he has ever made anything truly terrible, they all have something and the majority are decent. His post-Psycho 60s & 70s work is maligned in some quarters but I count myself a fan of all of them.

Frenzy is as good as anything else he ever did. I also think Family Plot is good! Maybe not the perfect ending to his career but when he made some of the greatest films ever that’s a tall ask.

Back