Proof that Eddie McGuire is "hopelessly conflicted"

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoping Caro brings it up on Footy Class tomorrow night. Ed will squirrel his way out of the subject.

Eddie clearly joined Footy Classified to tone down Caro's narrative and criticism of him. For all of Caro's faults, she's one of the few Vic journalists that isn't afraid of him, although being in the room treading the line between being her buddy and threatening her, the fat man's bullyboy playbook is textbook.

In case anyone needs reminding of Eddie's litany of gaffes:

2002 - A day after losing the GF to Brisbane, when speaking at Collingwood's family day, he declared war on the AFL over salary cap concessions for Brisbane.

2008 - Heath Shaw was caught drink driving. Rumours suggested Alan Didak was in the car with him. Eddie defended Didak, telling the media, "Didak will be accused of the Kennedy shooting next." Next think Didak admitted he was in the car with Shaw.

2010 - At the Winter Olympics Eddie described the attire of male figure skaters as "a bit of Brokeback", in reference to Brokeback Mountain.

2011 - Eddie described Western Sydney as the "land of the falafel"

2013 - Eddie took aim at journalist Caroline Wilson for airing rumours that he offered Magpies star Dane Swan to GWS, describing them as "puerile, muck-raking, red-herring, bomb-throwing rubbish". It later came out he'd talked about the value of Collingwood stars with long-time friend and former Collingwood administrator Graeme Allen - who later took charge of the Giants' list.

2013 - Eddie labelled ABC Grandstand contributor Tony Sheahan a "failed journalist" after Sheahan told the show McGuire had leaked the story of Hawthorn forward Lance Franklin's drunken episode at the Melbourne Grand Prix. "I think the source of that story there, Tony Sheahan, is just an unmitigated idiot and I will be taking legal action," McGuire said.

2013 - Eddie suggested Adam Goodes would make a good "King Kong" promotion, just days after an outcry over a Collingwood fan calling Goodes an "ape" during an AFL game.

2016 - On MMM Eddie joked with fellow broadcasters James Brayshaw and Danny Frawley that he'd pay $50,000 to see Caroline Wilson drown in a freezing tub to raise money for motor neurone disease research, and others could pay $10,000 each to jump on her.

2017 - On Millionaire Hotseat Eddie said to a female Jewish contestant, "“So you have a Jewish father and a Scottish mother ... I reckon it would have been hard getting pocket money from them!”

2019 - During Sydney v Adelaide broadcast Eddie ridiculed the pre-match coin toss, saying people should be fined $5000 if they don’t flip the dime perfectly. What he didn’t realise was the coin was tossed by Swans ambassador Cynthia Banham, a respected former journalist who lost both her legs in a plane crash that killed 21 others in 2007.

And then we come to 2020...…...

How is complaining about Brisbanes salary cap a gaffe?
Especially as most other clubs felt the same but didn't have the balls to say it.

Especially as most other clubs felt the same but didn't have the balls to say it.
Cause it wasn't an issue worthy of Eddie's time until it impacted him

Poor Timing, sour grapes. Unsportsmanlike, unbecoming, call it what you like

In case anyone needs reminding of Eddie's litany of gaffes:

2002 - A day after losing the GF to Brisbane, when speaking at Collingwood's family day, he declared war on the AFL over salary cap concessions for Brisbane.

2008 - Heath Shaw was caught drink driving. Rumours suggested Alan Didak was in the car with him. Eddie defended Didak, telling the media, "Didak will be accused of the Kennedy shooting next." Next think Didak admitted he was in the car with Shaw.

2010 - At the Winter Olympics Eddie described the attire of male figure skaters as "a bit of Brokeback", in reference to Brokeback Mountain.

2011 - Eddie described Western Sydney as the "land of the falafel"

2013 - Eddie took aim at journalist Caroline Wilson for airing rumours that he offered Magpies star Dane Swan to GWS, describing them as "puerile, muck-raking, red-herring, bomb-throwing rubbish". It later came out he'd talked about the value of Collingwood stars with long-time friend and former Collingwood administrator Graeme Allen - who later took charge of the Giants' list.

2013 - Eddie labelled ABC Grandstand contributor Tony Sheahan a "failed journalist" after Sheahan told the show McGuire had leaked the story of Hawthorn forward Lance Franklin's drunken episode at the Melbourne Grand Prix. "I think the source of that story there, Tony Sheahan, is just an unmitigated idiot and I will be taking legal action," McGuire said.

2013 - Eddie suggested Adam Goodes would make a good "King Kong" promotion, just days after an outcry over a Collingwood fan calling Goodes an "ape" during an AFL game.

2016 - On MMM Eddie joked with fellow broadcasters James Brayshaw and Danny Frawley that he'd pay $50,000 to see Caroline Wilson drown in a freezing tub to raise money for motor neurone disease research, and others could pay $10,000 each to jump on her.

2017 - On Millionaire Hotseat Eddie said to a female Jewish contestant, "“So you have a Jewish father and a Scottish mother ... I reckon it would have been hard getting pocket money from them!”

2019 - During Sydney v Adelaide broadcast Eddie ridiculed the pre-match coin toss, saying people should be fined $5000 if they don’t flip the dime perfectly. What he didn’t realise was the coin was tossed by Swans ambassador Cynthia Banham, a respected former journalist who lost both her legs in a plane crash that killed 21 others in 2007.

And then we come to 2020...…...

Reckon the way "land of falafel" went down is a real indictment on the media. Should have got a lot more heat for it.

Reckon the way "land of falafel" went down is a real indictment on the media. Should have got a lot more heat for it.
But but but Eddie is a larrikin from Broadmeadows, a everyman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel slightly sorry for Eddie these days tbh. He is back doing what he was doing 20+ years ago..quiz shows and footy chat.

Remember when he was going to be president if we became a republic? pretty sure he saw it all unfolding differently at one stage.

Feel slightly sorry for Eddie these days tbh. He is back doing what he was doing 20+ years ago..quiz shows and footy chat.

Remember when he was going to be president if we became a republic? pretty sure he saw it all unfolding differently at one stage.
Insightful post.
This is just what myself and my Pies mates agree with.

Ed 2002- on the telly, on the radio, full of opinions, occasionally makes dopey comments, boss of The Pies
Ed 2020 - on the telly, on the radio.......

Well to be fair he got away with the King King comment , so I doubt even with more backlash anything would happen

he’s protected...but his racism is there for everyone to see

Insightful post.
This is just what myself and my Pies mates agree with.

Ed 2002- on the telly, on the radio, full of opinions, occasionally makes dopey comments, boss of The Pies
Ed 2020 - on the telly, on the radio.......
Don’t see too many media personalities being an obnoxious racist bully tbh

Hoping Caro brings it up on Footy Class tomorrow night. Ed will squirrel his way out of the subject.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just like he's done in the last few weeks on Fox Footy Live and Footy Classified, he'll have a 10 minute diatribe already prepared and will unleash it before anyone has a chance to ask a question.

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Well to be fair he got away with the King King comment , so I doubt even with more backlash anything would happen

he’s protected...but his racism is there for everyone to see

I still don't know how he got away with that. Even an American NFL club President would get sacked for a comment like that, but Eddie got no punishment at all, no real backlash either or calls to resign. The King Kong comment should have been enough to remove him from the sport entirely and the fact it wasn't shows racism isn't taken too seriously by people in Australia.

I still don't know how he got away with that. Even an American NFL club President would get sacked for a comment like that, but Eddie got no punishment at all, no real backlash either or calls to resign. The King Kong comment should have been enough to remove him from the sport entirely and the fact it wasn't shows racism isn't taken too seriously by people in Australia.
No it just highlighted that at that time Eddie was untouchable. When he made the “flipping the coin” comment in 2019 the tide had started turning.

One thing that surprises me is that with all the racist comments he’s made over the years his club is taking a stand tomorrow night on racism. Maybe the Club’s first action should be to sack Eddie

Just like he's done in the last few weeks on Fox Footy Live and Footy Classified, he'll have a 10 minute diatribe already prepared and will unleash it before anyone has a chance to ask a question.

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Well predicted, he had the heritier defence ready to go then followed up with his usual diatribe about him and gill being best mates like he is working directly for afl house these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back