Proper Disposal?

avijae

Rookie
Sep 6, 2015
Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Geelong
Would it be a proper disposal if a player possesses the ball, and tosses it into the air, then makes a fist with the same hand used to toss it in the air, and fists the ball? I know this is damn near impossible, and probably not worth "practicing", but when a player has an arm pinned by an opponent, would it be legal?

Thanks.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Incorrect disposal - free kick against

It's really just a good tackle but if you can drop and down to just get a kick away which they do in the AFL all the time now BUT your coach might prefer you to simply get holding the ball so the opposition can't just run away with it if your 'get out' kick goes straight to them

avijae

Rookie
Sep 6, 2015
Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually, that's was caused me to ask my question. Yes, I see that all the time, where a player kicks the ball while being tackled. And I've seen players fist the ball while it's on the ground, or "soccer" the ball. I've just never seen them fist it with their free hand while being tackled, and didn't know if it would be a legal disposal. And you make a good point about holding, but doesn't the ball get awarded to the opposition?

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
Actually, that's was caused me to ask my question. Yes, I see that all the time, where a player kicks the ball while being tackled. And I've seen players fist the ball while it's on the ground, or "soccer" the ball. I've just never seen them fist it with their free hand while being tackled, and didn't know if it would be a legal disposal. And you make a good point about holding, but doesn't the ball get awarded to the opposition?
Yes the ball does get awarded to the opposition but the kick away kick might actually release them instead of just copping the free kick against and trying to slow it down as much as possible

Back