Expansion Proposals for a Truly National AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential investors would look at us and laugh.

You're the one talking about an Indian billionaire - get your story straight FFS.

It makes it plenty easier if they could ....

Form a professional league in India. That would be the logical way to approach things.
Who would in their right mind would suffer the costs of having a lowly team play in some god forsaken Australian 4th division.

Form a professional league in India. That would be the logical way to approach things.
Who would in their right mind would suffer the costs of having a lowly team play in some god forsaken Australian 4th division.
It does happen if the so called overseas billionaire sees a business opportunity.

For example Singaporean billionaire Peter Lim bought 50% stake into English 8th division club Salford City in 2014. Was averaging 113 fans to games prior to that but the club has risen to the 4th level and averaged 2997 to games during the 2019/20 season. If they can keep rising up the divisions the crowds will come.

For example Singaporean billionaire Peter Lim bought 50% stake into English 8th division club Salford City in 2014. Was averaging 113 fans to games prior to that but the club has risen to the 4th level and averaged 2997 to games during the 2019/20 season.

So let's get this straight - a bloke paid out good money to bring the equivalent on an amateur club (poor one at that) to bring it up to WAFL standard ?
That doesn't sound like a sensible and profitable "investment" to me.

It does happen if the so called overseas billionaire sees a business opportunity.

Let's stick to the post. We're talking India here and in India we know what the indians have done with cricket.
It doesn't take much thought to see that Indians have the entrepreneurs, the teams, the stadiums and the crowds in place.
It doesn't take much thought to see that these same Indians might want a complimentary sport like Australian Football.
Each team in the IPL could invest in their own AFL team.

So let's get this straight - a bloke paid out good money to bring the equivalent on an amateur club (poor one at that) to bring it up to WAFL standard ?
That doesn't sound like a sensible and profitable "investment" to me.
Wouldn’t say it’s WAFL standard. With promotion/relegation there is a lot of excitement among fans to see how far this club can go up the divisions. Clubs in the WAFL can’t go any higher, clubs lower can’t get into the WAFL.

Salford City may be in the premier league in 5 years time.

Let's stick to the post. We're talking India here and in India we know what the indians have done with cricket.
It doesn't take much thought to see that Indians have the entrepreneurs, the teams, the stadiums and the crowds in place.
It doesn't take much thought to see that these same Indians might want a complimentary sport like Australian Football.
Each team in the IPL could invest in their own AFL team.
Australian football simply isn’t popular in India. American investors have tried to get an American football league up an going in India the past decade with mild success. But if an Indian billionaire wanted to make a big profit he’s better off investing in an NFL franchise. Like wise with Australian football, there is already support for the game in Australia

Last edited:
Wouldn’t say it’s WAFL standard.

So let's get this straight - a bloke paid out good money to bring the equivalent on an amateur club (poor one at that) to bring it up to WAFL crowd standard ?
is that better ?

Australian football simply isn’t popular in India.

Well it's not unpopular, it's just not popularly known.
Like anywhere else where Australian football gets known - it uses does well.
Australian football in India is doing really well, coming off of a small base, with virtually no help.

American investors have tried to get an American football league up an going in India the past decade with mild success.

Sounds like South African experience - the wrong sport for the country.
Luckily Australian Football is nothing at all like American Football.
There is plenty of footage of Indians playing Australian Football on dirt paddocks.
I cannot imagine anyone wanting to suit up for American Football in those conditions.

So let's get this straight - a bloke paid out good money to bring the equivalent on an amateur club (poor one at that) to bring it up to WAFL crowd standard ?
is that better ?
You don’t know it was good money. What is good money? The club is still growing, it could be in the premier league in a few years time with crowds of 20,000 for all we know, why are you limiting Salford City at WAFL size crowds?
Well it's not unpopular, it's just not popularly known.
Like anywhere else where Australian football gets known - it uses does well.
Australian football in India is doing really well, coming off of a small base, with virtually no help.
Where else has Australian football suddenly done well? It’s been known in Queensland and NSW for decades but needs league funding to hold a professional team. Is there another professional league in the world? It hasn’t taken off anywhere.

Sounds like South African experience - the wrong sport for the country.
Luckily Australian Football is nothing at all like American Football.
There is plenty of footage of Indians playing Australian Football on dirt paddocks.
I cannot imagine anyone wanting to suit up for American Football in those conditions.
Yes I’ve seen kids play Aussie Rules in dirt paddocks in some very remote areas. But there is also footage of kids playing American football, Rugby and Soccer in India, all which have leagues and are well ahead of Aussie rules.

Pipe dream if anyone thinks Aussie rules will suddenly take off in India.

This whole thread is a pipe dream.

Theres a Aussie Rules in India coming out in December apparently just completed. Games now in 11 states, nearly 9,000 participants including the Indi Kick program.

That’s honesty fantastic, but still along way behind American Football or Rugby which also will never take off.

You don’t know it was good money.

Yes, it depends on your time frame and whether you recoup money when eventually you "make it".

why are you limiting Salford City at WAFL size crowds?

I'm not. Pump in more money who knows.

Where else has Australian football suddenly done well?

Depends on your definition. Your definition is professional.

But there is also footage of kids playing American football, Rugby and Soccer in India

Well you'd expect soccer and rugby to be well entrenched in India but it's not - very disappointing for those codes.
Those videos show just how poor American football is in India.

That’s honesty fantastic,

Australian Football in India is growing very quickly with national championships.
The international against Pakistan was attended by a large enthusiastic crowd.

but still along way behind American Football or Rugby which also will never take off.

Rugby, as you say has been around a long time but hasn't taken off so is not likely to take off.
American Football doesn't seem to have the numbers and certainly not the skill.

Yes, it depends on your time frame and whether you recoup money when eventually you "make it".
People investing in clubs aren’t as stupid as you think they are. It’s like buying a house, they go up in value, you renovate it and it’s worth more. Buying a club in the 8th division at a low price and then selling it in a much higher division you’ll make your money. It’s why so many people buy sporting clubs around the world.

Depends on your definition. Your definition is professional.
You stated Aussie rule does well where it gets known. So what are you saying? What’s your definition? Where is Aussie rules doing well? Now We are talking about investing so where should people invest?
Well you'd expect soccer and rugby to be well entrenched in India but it's not - very disappointing for those codes.
Those videos show just how poor American football is in India.
No different to videos of Aussie Rules.

People investing in clubs aren’t as stupid as you think they are.

people who invest in football clubs do so because they can afford to do so. It's hardly a serious investment.

Buying a club in the 8th division at a low price and then selling it in a much higher division you’ll make your money..

But we're talking about Australian football so what you're talking is totally irrelevant isn't it.

You stated Aussie rule does well where it gets known. So what are you saying?

I guess you haven't noticed that Australia is NOT a world power. It has a very small population and has very little influence.
Considering the breadth of the British Empire at it's peak, rugby has done extremely poorly.
Considering the power of the U.S.A., American Football has spread hardly at all.

Where is Aussie rules doing well?

Australian football is played regularly in over 55 countries now. i consider that a fantastic result for the country of Australia.
It has spread basically by word of mouth. It has spread without much investment at all.

Now We are talking about investing .

You're the one banging on about investment which is not the Australian Football model.

so where should people invest?

so where should people invest?

Pay attention.

"Let's stick to the post. We're talking India here and in India we know what the indians have done with cricket.
Each team in the IPL could invest in their own AFL team."

No different to videos of Aussie Rules.

How do you know ? Why don't you rate the 55 countries that play Australian Football in order of standard.

Australian Football in India is growing very quickly with national championships.
The international against Pakistan was attended by a large enthusiastic crowd.

Rugby, as you say has been around a long time but hasn't taken off so is not likely to take off.
American Football doesn't seem to have the numbers and certainly not the skill.
When did I say Rugby has been around along time, just said it’s way ahead of Aussie rules.

WAFL clubs were touring India in the 60’s. Sport didn’t take off. The

Fastest growing sport in the betting markets in India is the NFL. Their 23 club league is televised on Indian national TV. They have former NFL players investing in the game in India. If though an Indian billionaire wanted to invest in the sport he’s better off investing in the United States, like wise if he wanted to invest in Aussie Rules he’s better off doing it in Australia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people who invest in football clubs do so because they can afford to do so. It's hardly a serious investment.

But we're talking about Australian football so what you're talking is totally irrelevant isn't it.

I guess you haven't noticed that Australia is NOT a world power. It has a very small population and has very little influence.
Considering the breadth of the British Empire at it's peak, rugby has done extremely poorly.
Considering the power of the U.S.A., American Football has spread hardly at all.

Australian football is played regularly in over 55 countries now. i consider that a fantastic result for the country of Australia.
It has spread basically by word of mouth. It has spread without much investment at all.

You're the one banging on about investment which is not the Australian Football model.

Pay attention.

"Let's stick to the post. We're talking India here and in India we know what the indians have done with cricket.
Each team in the IPL could invest in their own AFL team."

How do you know ? Why don't you rate the 55 countries that play Australian Football in order of standard.
This is complete dribble. The cricket clubs of NSW and Queensland never bought into Aussie rules.

Cricket in India is hugely popular, not Aussie rules.

Of course there are league around the world of Aussie rules, no different to American football played around the world. There are 70 clubs here in Australia.

Quick ranking from the 2017 Australian football international cup.

34DE05C1-A3A7-415E-86B5-F20C9E182A56.jpeg

When did I say Rugby has been around along time,

You didn't. Everybody knows that rubgy has been around a very long time and achieved very little.

WAFL clubs were touring India in the 60’s.

Yes. East Perth Royals played two games against Subiaco Maroons in India in 1969.

Fastest growing sport

Translates to smallest sport. Your indian "American Footballers" are simply rugby players.

like wise if he wanted to invest in Aussie Rules he’s better off doing it in Australia

Totally bizarre, when Australia isn't set up for private ownership in AFL.

You didn't. Everybody knows that rubgy has been around a very long time and achieved very little.
Like wise Aussie rules. Hasn’t even conquered Australia.

Translates to smallest sport. Your indian "American Footballers" are simply rugby players.
Sounds like Aussie Rules growing in India
Totally bizarre, when Australia isn't set up for private ownership in AFL.
Which is what the OP wants to change with free markets

Of course there are league around the world of Aussie rules, no different to American football played around the world. There are 70 clubs here in Australia.

This is complete dribble. .

Yes, comparing Australian Football to American Football around the world is largely dribble.

Like wise Aussie rules. Hasn’t even conquered Australia.

Australian Football is more prominent in Australia, than American Football in the U.S.A. or rugby in any country.
I don't think anyone is concerned that Australian Football doesn't completely dominate Australia.
have to leave a little to variety.

Australian Football is more prominent in Australia, than American Football in the U.S.A. or rugby in any country.
I don't think anyone is concerned that Australian Football doesn't completely dominate Australia.
have to leave a little to variety.
Really, Rugby in NZ? Highest participation rate of all football sports is Rugby union. Australia it’s soccer.

Yeah it doesn’t bother me if Australian football is popular with anyone else, I enjoy what I enjoy. Do feel sorry for people that can’t enjoy it like myself such as the people of Tasmania or any other region.

The OP is free to set up whatever league he wishes. I suggest it would work many times better in India.
I would go so far as to say that his method would be the preferred model in India.
I doubt it, no fans in India.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back