Proposal to include premierships dating back to 1870 gathering pace

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, wouldnā€™t want to make that comparison for first class cricket.

EVERYONE played English County Cricket for a while there.
Dont tell me we should consider English first class achievements to be a higher quality than Australian first class achievements over that time?
id rather get a Crows membership.

The trouble is with the County cricket comparison, there are 18 first class counties. In Australia and most other countries you have 6-8 first class teams. So the influx of 20-30 odd quality cricketers per season was never going to raise county cricket above the level of Australia first class cricket.

The football probably weighed a few kgs.

What surprised me too is that in the early days there were different sets of rules. The 'Geelong rules' and the 'Melbourne Rules'. I wonder what it was like in SA and WA?
I thought it was the Rules of the Melbourne Football Club that was the basis of our Australian Rules Football?

There was no flag, no grand final, no finals and no declaration of a best team apart from the equivalent of Robbo or Tom Brown saying it.
1878 there was an official play off match against Melbourne.
1879 only undefeated side
1880 a bit dodgy, but still probably the best
1882 ten wins, one loss. Cleary better than everyone else.
1883 the most dubious of the lot, South a bit stiff perhaps
1884 Most wins despite fewer proper games than all others (except the spooners Willy). Clearly the best side.
1886 Along with South, clearly the best. Only one loss between the two, when the Pivotonians beat the Blood Stained Angels comfortably in a de facto final.

So a bit more than just Robbo picking a team. 1883 maybe Gerard Whateley was on the panel.

1884 Most wins despite fewer proper games than all others (except the spooners Willy). Clearly the best side.
1886 Along with South, clearly the best. Only one loss between the two, when the Pivotonians beat the Blood Stained Angels comfortably in a de facto final.

So a bit more than just Robbo picking a team. 1883 maybe Gerard Whateley was on the panel.
Mate it's all happenning over on Bay 13 on the Colin Carter tribute song thread, see you there.

Is it no surprise that after a official VFA premiership was introduced Geelong could not win one
Games back then we're not even league fixtures.
They were effectively pick-up games between anyone called a "club"
Wouldn't be surprised if half geelongs games were against a side from castlemaine

Games back then we're not even league fixtures.
They were effectively pick-up games between anyone called a "club"
Wouldn't be surprised if half geelongs games were against a side from castlemaine
It took them until 1925 to win their first official flag, 1859-1925 how bad does your club need to be to have a premiership drought that long

Back in the 1890s Geelong were part of the cabal that decided the VFA wasnā€™t for them, and they should break away and form a new better league.

Now theyā€™re wanting to embrace what was won in that same VFA that wasnā€™t good enough for them, as the equivalent of the new better league that they moved to form.

Back in the 1890s Geelong were part of the cabal that decided the VFA wasnā€™t for them, and they should break away and form a new better league.

Now theyā€™re wanting to embrace what was won in that same VFA that wasnā€™t good enough for them, as the equivalent of the new better league that they moved to form.
Imagine having a expansion club such as Richmond win multiple premierships before a foundation club even won their first

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone can be bothered Iā€™d be interested to see a ā€˜ratioā€™ of flags. Years in the VFL/AFL divided by flags.

For example, Geelong would be:
125/10 = 12.5

Richmond:
114/13 = 8.77

Eagles:
35/4 = 8.7

Pies:
125/15 = 8.33

Fitzroy:
99/8 = 12.38 (marginally better strike rate than Cats)

And so on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Donā€™t cringe, embrace.

Richmond are an amazing club, who in their own right have done incredible things. They just havenā€™t won 17 flags like Geelong.
I have embraced - as I said, the AFL should lower the bar and recognise them for you given how insecure the club is without them.

It will be hilarious!

They didn't win anything in the VFA anyway, there were no grand finals and no winner of the league. The only thing Carter is going on is what a journalist said.

Port Adelaide, Norwood, East Fremantle and West Perth are the highest performing 1st tier football clubs in Austalin Rules football history.
That the AfL dont acknowledge this has never made sense To me.
Because the history of the sport should not be in the hands of the AFL competition.
They are atrocious custodians of the sport of Australian Rules Football.
That they are abusing that privilege and corruptly promoting its own history at the expense of the sports history, is plainly sad.

The trouble is with the County cricket comparison, there are 18 first class counties. In Australia and most other countries you have 6-8 first class teams. So the influx of 20-30 odd quality cricketers per season was never going to raise county cricket above the level of Australia first class cricket.
But the premise was that that most of the best players went to Victoria so it must have been the best.
I'm just using that analogy.

I will just leave these Port Adelaide Champions of Australia records here too.

Year Champion Score Runner-up Score Venue
1890 Port Adelaide 7.10 South Melbourne 6.13 Adelaide Oval
1910 Port Adelaide 15.20 (110) Collingwood 7.9 (51) Adelaide Oval
1913 Port Adelaide 13.16 (94) Fitzroy 4.7 (31) Adelaide Oval
1914 Port Adelaide 9.16 (70) Carlton 5.6 (36) Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back