Expansion Proposals for a Truly National AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

The Divisional Order represents the expected strength and viability of each of the teams;
nb. I have not included SANFL or WAFL teams, however, they could be incorporated.

Division 1.
Geelong Cats
Richmond Tigers
Collingwood Magpies
West Coast Eagles
Essendon Bombers
Adelaide Crows
Carlton Blues
Sydney Swans
Melbourne Demons
St Kilda Saints
Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide Power
Hawthorn Hawks
Fremantle Dockers
Brisbane Lions
Perth
Hobart
Launceston

Division 2.
North Melb Kangaroos
Canberra
Cairns
Bendigo
Ballarat
Albury Wodonga
Darwin
GWS Giants
Gold Coast Suns
Bunbury
Mildura
Shepparton
Werribee Tigers
Southport Sharks
Devonport
Gippsland

Division 3
Port Melbourne
Aspley Hornets
Frankston Dolphins
Sunshine Coast
Wagga Wagga
Geraldton
Warrnambool
Albany
Alice Springs
Northern Rivers
Mount Gambier
Wangaratta
Port Lincoln
Horsham
Williamstown Seagulls
Sandringham Zebras

- Two Clubs to be promoted and relegated at the start of each season.
- There should be no draft, just a salary cap for each division. Players will choose who they wish to play for.
- List sizes are not fixed. Each clubs decides how many players are to sit on their list, based on club resources.
- There should be no AFL handouts. All clubs are responsible for their own revenue and welfare.
- The laws of the game should be enshrined in a national trust, only to be amended by 75% consensus of club presidents.
- The AFL administrators should be administrators ONLY! Not engineers of the game.
- Going forward, I will detail a plan for broadcast rights, and fixture/scheduling. It is based on direct negotiation and majority consensus.

The model proposed, is similar to the European model, opposed to the USA fixed license model. One model is based on free market principals, while the other is regulated and controlled. History tells us, that the free market is always more dynamic and in the long term, sustainable.
If we had adopted a Divisional Structure from the outset, then teams like Fitzroy and South Melbourne would still be playing, albeit in Div 2, and we would have had already had many years of representation from teams in Darwin, Hobart, Albury, Cairns, Bunbury, ect.

What do you think?

No. Not sustainable. Certainly not 2 clubs in Tassie.

European leagues are all in trouble as the financial difference between the top level & below has become so great that the whole promotion/relegation system becomes virtually meaningless as a near revolving door for most bottom clubs. It may well cease into the future. The 'free market' is killing the lower clubs, literally.

A place like Australia with a small population & huge distances means travel is a huge expense, for clubs & supporters.

National promotion/relegation would be impossible to sustain here.

What are you on (about)? Look at them for what reason?

Clubs rise and fall depending on many factors.
Money does not guarantee success, especially if the term 'mercinary', is thrown around.

Under this system, every player has the option vto play at their club of choice. Quite the opposite of the current meat market of the draft.

No. Not sustainable. Certainly not 2 clubs in Tassie.

European leagues are all in trouble as the financial difference between the top level & below has become so great that the whole promotion/relegation system becomes virtually meaningless as a near revolving door for most bottom clubs. It may well cease into the future. The 'free market' is killing the lower clubs, literally.

A place like Australia with a small population & huge distances means travel is a huge expense, for clubs & supporters.

National promotion/relegation would be impossible to sustain here.
Then introduce a salary cap.

Clubs rise and fall depending on many factors.
Money does not guarantee success, especially if the term 'mercinary', is thrown around.

Under this system, every player has the option vto play at their club of choice. Quite the opposite of the current meat market of the draft.

You are making no sense. You are assuming everyone has access to your "logic" but you are actually talking gibberish

If you want a demonstration of how money precisely drives success, here are the wage bills and finishing positions of EPL clubs this season

1621915089197.png

Most remarkably, only 2 clubs finished more than 3 spots from their wage bill ranking. But also the top 4 finished precisely in the order of their wage bills as did the bottom team

European soccer is slowly bleeding up into the big dozen or so clubs in europe. Every other club and league are slowing becoming less relevant.

It is only long and deep cultural connection to those lower clubs and leagues that slows the bleeding

You are making no sense. You are assuming everyone has access to your "logic" but you are actually talking gibberish

If you want a demonstration of how money precisely drives success, here are the wage bills and finishing positions of EPL clubs this season

View attachment 1136834

Most remarkably, only 2 clubs finished more than 3 spots from their wage bill ranking. But also the top 4 finished precisely in the order of their wage bills as did the bottom team

European soccer is slowly bleeding up into the big dozen or so clubs in europe. Every other club and league are slowing becoming less relevant.

It is only long and deep cultural connection to those lower clubs and leagues that slows the bleeding
Then a salary cap is required.
However, because it is proposed that list sizes of club's are not fixed, a strategic approach can be taken to player payment Vs player quantities.

Australian culture is also slightly different, as we still cling to club loyalty more than most. This would be further enhanced without a draft.

It is also worth noting that our game is not soccer, and just like Hardwick has proven, a blue collar side can be highly successful. Actually, I think Croatia proved that in the recent world cup.

But I agree, a salary cap may be required.

Was going to spend some time responding to this excellent proposal - but instead I'm off to speculate on land in and around Devenport so I can make a killing when council is looking to build their 20k seater.

Haha, that's right.

Keep an eye out for a large block near *checks google maps* Steele and Williams street. I'll in talks with a couple of large global hotel chains to develop a 800 room 5 star concern to accommodate the hoards coming in from Wagga Wagga

Haha, that's right.

Keep an eye out for a large block near *checks google maps* Steele and Williams street. I'll in talks with a couple of large global hotel chains to develop a 800 room 5 star concern to accommodate the hoards coming in from Wagga Wagga
Have you even been to Wagga or Devonport?

Haha, that's right.

Come on man, at least do your research. Wagga are in Divvy 3. Devonport are in Divvy 2. They won't be meeting.

UNLESS ... what if we are doing a SUPERAFL CUP mid-week knockout cup or something to compliment the league. That would be awesome and a real crowd pleaser. All three divisions plus any other community club that wanted to put their hand up. Hamilton Kangaroos v Mt Gambier to prove that they've got the chops to handle Divvy 3. I'll give the Southern Gramps council a ring so they can start work on the grant application to upgrade Melville to a 10k seater (would a roof be too much?)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hobart is bigger than Geelong in population with a deep football pedigree.

Geelong is a football factory for good young players.

Has 3 leagues and the GFL is one of if not the best league outside of Melbourne.

Hobart? Not so much.

Geelong district could probably field a second team.

Geelong is a football factory for good young players.

Has 3 leagues and the GFL is one of if not the best league outside of Melbourne.

Hobart? Not so much.

Geelong district could probably field a second team.
Yes, the players that can't make Geelong's firsts, would most likely supplement sides like Horsham & Warrnambool.

But don't underestimate the football pedigree of North Tasmania and Hobart. I have no doubts that both clubs would be competitive in Div2.

Come on man, at least do your research. Wagga are in Divvy 3. Devonport are in Divvy 2. They won't be meeting.

UNLESS ... what if we are doing a SUPERAFL CUP mid-week knockout cup or something to compliment the league. That would be awesome and a real crowd pleaser. All three divisions plus any other community club that wanted to put their hand up. Hamilton Kangaroos v Mt Gambier to prove that they've got the chops to handle Divvy 3. I'll give the Southern Gramps council a ring so they can start work on the grant application to upgrade Melville to a 10k seater (would a roof be too much?)

A mid week cup is a no brainer. I mean, that's what happens in english soccer, right? You gotta love the magic of the cup

The roof is definitely worth considering. That way you could hold Ed Sheeran concerts and the like there

Yes, it would be organic. Not contrived.
But there are examples where radical changes will happen. Look at Manchester City.

Look at Collingwood.
Look at Carlton.
Look at Hawthorn.
Look at the Doggies.

Manchester City are a power club because they were bought by Emirati sheiks. It wasn’t a grassroots movement. It was gobs of money.

A mid week cup is a no brainer. I mean, that's what happens in english soccer, right? You gotta love the magic of the cup

The roof is definitely worth considering. That way you could hold Ed Sheeran concerts and the like there
The economics stack up. It costs heaps to bring an Ed Sheeran out here for a five show run. Think of the profit if he did a 50 show run to all these 20k seat stadiums. All I see is profit. But I'm a libertarian free marketeer so I understand that money is definitely real.

The economics stack up. It costs heaps to bring an Ed Sheeran out here for a five show run. Think of the profit if he did a 50 show run to all these 20k seat stadiums. All I see is profit. But I'm a libertarian free marketeer so I understand that money is definitely real.

Exactly. And then think Beyonce, Ariana Grande, Pink et al sweeping through every second year as well. The Northern Rivers Basket Weavers from Div 3 coming to town would just be bonus money

Also, as a fellow libertarian free marketeer, having councils spending 20 years of rates on a stadium that could seat the entire shire gives me an intellectual erection.

Gippsland has a population of around 200k.
Gippsland Power U/18's play out of Morewell.
Who believes that this football rich region, should not be represented in their own right, at a national level?
I spend a bit of time in this area, an know that the peoples are a proud bunch, and there is some high quality football being played.
The problem, is that the area is so vast, and whether the main stadium should be built in Morewell or Traralgon.

1621988296373.png

Attachments

• gippsland-map.jpg
    gippsland-map.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 24
There is a lovely new sporting complex up in Penguin, Right next door to the golf club, Nice and central NW location. Funding won't be an issue as Bradden is always marginal. Probably could upgrade it to 100K, so that everyone on the North West Coast can have a seat for every game.

Call them the North West Penguins. What could go wrong? I mean, we could try and get a North West Team to stay in our local state league first. But bugger that. It wouldn't be the first time a "Devonport" team has been on the national sporting stage.....Every basketball fan remembers the Devonport Warriors. They were a great success and better than the Perth wildcats back in the day

There is a lovely new sporting complex up in Penguin, Right next door to the golf club, Nice and central NW location. Funding won't be an issue as Bradden is always marginal. Probably could upgrade it to 100K, so that everyone on the North West Coast can have a seat for every game.

Call them the North West Penguins. What could go wrong? I mean, we could try and get a North West Team to stay in our local state league first. But bugger that. It wouldn't be the first time a "Devonport" team has been on the national sporting stage.....Every basketball fan remembers the Devonport Warriors. They were a great success and better than the Perth wildcats back in the day

Ok, Ill ditch the Devonport idea. Im not a Tasmanian, but I thought that Devonport and Burnie had a strong football community, and the Devonport stadium is good to go.

Hoping Carlton get relegated to Div 3 so they can play the newly promoted Orbost Awesomes at their 10,000 seater. Would need a roof though. Gets cold up there. You might think 10k doesn't stack up but you obviously didn't think about the Mallacoota, Buchan and Omeo fans who will stream in. As well as the weird drifters who kind of live in the mountains but love their footy.

Hoping Carlton get relegated to Div 3 so they can play the newly promoted Orbost Awesomes at their 10,000 seater. Would need a roof though. Gets cold up there. You might think 10k doesn't stack up but you obviously didn't think about the Mallacoota, Buchan and Omeo fans who will stream in. As well as the weird drifters who kind of live in the mountains but love their footy.
Patent pending before some free liberty marketarian steals it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back