Expansion Proposals for a Truly National AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

The Club is OK financially at present

So won't be going anywhere.

Debt free, profitable, record membership in 2022, $17 million pumped into their training and administration base in the last four years.

North will be around - in Melbourne and in their own right - for a long time yet.

but few of their fans/members bother to go to games anymore. Their on field future is bleak.

With the cyclical nature of teams’ fortunes, aitded by the AFL's equalisation policies, there’s a good enough chance it will be North's turn in the upper reaches of the ladder soon enough.

The media drama at North is symptomatic of the over-analysis and hyperbole of many in the football media these days. Someone has to be on the bottom of the ladder. At the moment its North Melbourne, a couple of seasons from now it'll be another club.

The AFL has been set up to be cyclical. Onfield will turn for the better for North. Just like it has for Gold Coast, Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane and all the other clubs that have been at or close to the bottom of the ladder in the last few years.

There may come a time when other teams boycott them to force them out.

Don't think so. On what grounds?

Last edited:
So won't be going anywhere.

Debt free, profitable, record membership in 2022, $17 million pumped into their training and administration base in the last four years.

North will be around - in Melbourne and in their own right - for a long time yet.

With the cyclical nature of teams’ fortunes, aitded by the AFL's equalisation policies, there’s a good enough chance it will be North's turn in the upper reaches of the ladder soon enough.

Don't think so. On what grounds?

Distorts the Comp.

Maximum 18 teams already dilutes the talent across the Comp.

Suspect there is more support for Tas than retention of North.

I see no basis for the wheel turning for North, beyond it being crushed.

Any talent there will be tempted to get out.

Distorts the Comp.

Rubbish.

Maximum 18 teams already dilutes the talent across the Comp.

Diluting talent is a total myth.

The "dilution of talent" argument against expansion is inane.

You'd think with Australia's population projected to have an extra 14 million people by 2050 there would be surely be at least another 80 players of a talent commensurate with that of current existing AFL talent to fill at least two extra teams.

Suspect there is more support for Tas than retention of North.

And what do you base that on?

I see no basis for the wheel turning for North, beyond it being crushed.

The AFL has been set up to be cyclical. Onfield will turn for the better for North. Just like it has for Gold Coast, Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane and all the other clubs that have been at or close to the bottom of the ladder in the last few years.

Any talent there will be tempted to get out.

It will turn around for them. Just like it has for Gold Coast, Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane and all the other clubs that have been at or close to the bottom of the ladder in the last few years.

Last edited:

Rubbish.

Diluting talent is a total myth.

The "dilution of talent" argument against expansion is inane. And whether you likely it or not part of it is population.

You'd think with Australia's population projected to have an extra 14 million people by 2050 there would be surely be at least another 80 players of a talent commensurate with that of current existing AFL talent to fill at least two extra teams.

And what do you base that on?

It will turn around for them. Just like it has for Gold Coast, Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane and all the other clubs that have been at or close to the bottom of the ladder in the last few years.

Rubbish. The Blues and Dons always had significant support.

I am curious about how a boycott of North would work. They have negligible public support or I suspect from other teams in the Comp.

Rubbish. The Blues and Dons always had significant support.

North have record membership while they are on the bottom of the ladder.

Onfield it will turn around for North Melbourne. Just like it has for Gold Coast, Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane and all the other clubs that have been at or close to the bottom of the ladder in the last few years.

I am curious about how a boycott of North would work. They have negligible public support or I suspect from other teams in the Comp.

Keep on fantasising.

North have record membership while they are on the bottom of the ladder.

Onfield it will turn around for North Melbourne. Just like it has for Gold Coast, Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane and all the other clubs that have been at or close to the bottom of the ladder in the last few years.

Keep on fantasising.

That is what you are doing.

That is what you are doing.

What I've presented are all facts.

Here they are again for you.

Debt-free. √
Profit of $819,000 on revenue of $39,268,000 in 2021 √
Record membership in 2022. √
$17 million spent on training and administration base at Arden Street between 2018-2022. √

None of which you've refuted.

And all you offer is some ridiculous fantasy about a North 'boycott'. :rolleyes:

North does not offer the comp money.

It offers more being in the AFL than out. North is still a significant club.

The Club is OK financially at present but few of their fans/members bother to go to games anymore. Their on field future is bleak.

Like any club it depends on onfield success. North actually have reasonably support around the country.

North's existence distorts the Comp. There may come a time when other teams boycott them to force them out.

Any low-drawing club experiencing a run of poor form tends to do that.

What I've presented are all facts.

Here they are again for you.

Debt-free. √
$17 million spent on training and administration base at Arden Street between 2018-2022. √

None of which you've refuted.

And all you offer is some ridiculous fantasy about a North 'boycott'. :rolleyes:

Even North members don't bother to turn up.

I doubt there is any support for North amon the other 17 teams,

North does not offer the comp money.

The Club is OK financially at present but few of their fans/members bother to go to games anymore. Their on field future is bleak.

North's existence distorts the Comp. There may come a time when other teams boycott them to force them out.

Success is a swings & roundabouts thing. The draft will ensure a flow of fresh meat to the club. So thats not an issue.

Financially they are ok at present. The efforts to push them to Tassie were disingenuous or cynical at best,

The Loss of the Tassie money will be a worry but they should be able to survive. I'd think the AFL would be concerned of they rely on large AFL handouts for too long. Maybe some games in Darwin or Albury/Wodonga is an option?

Crowds fall when teams are at the bottom of the ladder. Stop the presses! :rolleyes:

Support for what?

Their continuation.

Given a choice between Tassie and North, I expect most fans would support Tassie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their continuation.

It's not even an issue.

Here are the facts again.

Debt-free. √

North's "continuation" is not on the agenda. They'll be around for a long time.

Given a choice between Tassie and North, I expect most fans would support Tassie.

Another unsubstantiated claim by you. Don't confuse your opinion/agenda with what you think most "fans" would want.

And in any case what have fans got to do with it?

It's not even an issue.

Here are the facts again.

Debt-free. √

North's "continuation" is not on the agenda. They'll be around for a long time.

Another unsubstantiated claim by you. Don't confuse your opinion/agenda with what you think most "fans" would want.

And in any case what have fans got to do with it?

I said "expect' wally.

I said "expect' wally.

As I said, just another unsubstantiated claim. You've got no idea really. Don't confuse your opinion/agenda with what you "expect" most "fans" would want.

Tell me about the "boycott" against North again. I need another good laugh.

As I said, just another unsubstantiated claim. You've got no idea really. Don't confuse your opinion/agenda with what you "expect" most "fans" would want.

Tell me about the "boycott" against North again. I need another good laugh.

Clubs should simply refuse to play against them in 2023.

Clubs should simply refuse to play against them in 2023.

:rolleyes:

It's pure fantasy. You're spouting utter tripe.

I can see why you ignore facts and still make outlandish claims that somehow that North leaving the competition is on the agenda and they lack support from the clubs.

Here are the facts again. Read them a few times until it sinks in.

Debt-free. √

:rolleyes:

It's pure fantasy. You're spouting utter tripe.

I can see why you ignore facts and still make outlandish claims that somehow that North leaving the competition is on the agenda and they lack support from the clubs.

Here are the facts again. Read them a few times until it sinks in.

Debt-free. √

Facts- waste of money.

Do you agree people would prefer a stand alone Tassy stand alone team - no relocation of North?

Nice to see some insight from you.

I've been saying this all along.

Let's deal in facts rather than the usual unsubstantiated rubbish you come out with.

Why would North Melbourne relocate? They're in absolutely no danger of becoming bankrupt, they have a substantial training and admin base in Melbourne which has been updated to the tune of $17 million over the past four years. They have record membership in 2022 and will possibly break 50,000 members for the first time in the next couple of years - if not this year.

Eddie McGuire can spout on all he likes about his grand plan to relocate North Melbourne to Tasmania, but its not going to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back