Expansion Proposals for a Truly National AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

The clubs ARE the AFL.
But keep 50% of the revenue for their own brain farts and woke engineering platforms.

No. The club's are the club's, and the AFL are holding them to ransom.

And Wookie would have to be the most biased moderator on earth.

But keep 50% of the revenue for their own brain farts and woke engineering platforms.
Ah yes, it was the AFL that pushed for the speedy introduction and the ahead-of-schedule expansion of the AFLW and ... not the ... ... clubs... ah damn, it was the clubs!

AFLW, national under 17/19 championships, nab league, auskick, NEAFL, AFL Queensland (QAFL), AFL NSW/ACT (AFL Sydney/AFL Canberra), AFL Tasmania (TSL), AFL Victoria, facilities funding, and the AFLPA.

No. The club's are the club's, and the AFL are holding them to ransom.

The clubs appointed the AFL Commission in the first place, the clubs can overturn league decisions -if they can find enough of them to do so.

And Wookie would have to be the most biased moderator on earth.

Well. I think thats gone far enough. Your thread is now locked.
You can request a review of this decision from a Supermod or an Admin.

Nz / second tassie team

Attachments

• Brisbane-2021 (3).jpg
    Brisbane-2021 (3).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Brisbane-2021 (4).jpg
    Brisbane-2021 (4).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Brisbane-2021 (5).jpg
    Brisbane-2021 (5).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 9-95685_cross-sword-clip-art-png (1).png
    9-95685_cross-sword-clip-art-png (1).png
    23.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 9-95685_cross-sword-clip-art-png.png
    9-95685_cross-sword-clip-art-png.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 53
Hobart/Tassie team

Attachments

• Brisbane-2020 (10).png
    Brisbane-2020 (10).png
    29.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Brisbane-2020 (9).png
    Brisbane-2020 (9).png
    31.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Brisbane-2020 (8).png
    Brisbane-2020 (8).png
    31.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 1200px-Circle_-_black_simple.svg (1).png
    1200px-Circle_-_black_simple.svg (1).png
    108.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 1200px-Circle_-_black_simple.svg.png
    1200px-Circle_-_black_simple.svg.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 1200px-Circle_-_black_simple.svg.png
    1200px-Circle_-_black_simple.svg.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 60
Darwin/1st nt team

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image.jpg
    thumbnail_Image.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 44
  • thumbnail_Image (2).jpg
    thumbnail_Image (2).jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 46
  • thumbnail_Image (3).jpg
    thumbnail_Image (3).jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 34
  • thumbnail_Image (4).jpg
    thumbnail_Image (4).jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 33
3rd queensland team townsville bears/carins bears or a diffrent alice springs concept

Attachments

• Brisbane-Heritage-2004 (12).jpg
    Brisbane-Heritage-2004 (12).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Brisbane-Heritage-2004 (7).jpg
    Brisbane-Heritage-2004 (7).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Brisbane-Heritage-2004.jpg
    Brisbane-Heritage-2004.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Brisbane-2021 (3).png
    Brisbane-2021 (3).png
    14 KB · Views: 49
  • Brisbane-2021 (1).png
    Brisbane-2021 (1).png
    17.3 KB · Views: 40
Some thought provoking discussion and positive moves forward on this quirky thread.
As a footy fan I feel the game would prosper under SOME of the proposals by OP.
A truly national competition with 4 or more divisions would be a real positive in my eyes. The proposed structure is more exciting than the current bland system we are running with. It also would make for closer and more passionate football.

Spread the clubs, open the market and enjoy our game at it’s very best without the puppetmasters pulling the strings each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some thought provoking discussion and positive moves forward on this quirky thread.
A truly national competition with 4 or more divisions would be a real positive in my eyes. The proposed structure is more exciting than the current bland system we are running with. It also would make for closer and more passionate football.

Spread the clubs, open the market and enjoy our game at it’s very best without the puppetmasters pulling the strings each week.

The AFL was created to save the VFL clubs, most of whom were basically bankrupt in the 1980's.

The AFL have all the power. They won't let that go. They won't spend any more on lower leagues/divisions than the bare minimum, or less, which they currently do. EG the Tasmanian state league.

Its not like UK, a small area. where a much larger population & many 100 yo clubs means its easier for them to run lower leagues & have promotion/relegation. Even bigger places like the USA don't have an EPL style system.

One could design a better national system, but too many vested interests ensures it'll stay with the current lopsided structure & power arrangements. ;)

Interesting OP.
It seems there is a lot of hostility towards the concept of relegation, for some strange reason.

Just for perspective, this is the English Soccer Tables;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220530-200516.png
    Screenshot_20220530-200516.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 46
Interesting OP.
It seems there is a lot of hostility towards the concept of relegation, for some strange reason.

Just for perspective, this is the English Soccer Tables;

I wouldn't be hostile, it'd be great.

Its just the cost, population size, population spread, travel, history, other sports footprint & the AFL's control & comfort zone which I see as some of the impediments. :)

I wouldn't be hostile, it'd be great.

Its just the cost, population size, population spread, travel, history, other sports footprint & the AFL's control & comfort zone which I see as some of the impediments. :)
The current talk about private ownership in Tasmania is promising. In saying that, the burden would then belong with the stakeholders of the club to maintain profitability. Why would the AFL deny the most efficient and cost effective form of expansion possible?

The OP's argument of 12 teams per division, and at a minimum, a 2 division system, would solve the immediate problems that the AFL is facing, that is the entry of participants from Darwin, Tasmania and possibly Canberra, while also allowing clubs like North Melbourne to rebuild without the extreme pressure of competing against finely tuned clubs like Melbourne.

As Mudmug has mentioned, I think the main issue is the inelasticity of the AFL community, ie, "the AFL's control & comfort zone which I see as some of the impediments".

A privately funded entry into Tasmania would do very well I think. And as the OP has suggested, maybe so would London. I know as an Australian living in Colombia, any excuse for an expat gathering is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Carlton vs Collingwood just drew 80,000 people to the G. It was 40,000 a few years ago with an unfavourable timeslot when neither team were much chop.

If both teams were relegated to AFL2 the fixture would be lucky to get 25,000.
I think the crowd for a Carlton V Collingwood game, both vying for a Div2 Premiership and promotion to Div1, possibly on the back of a rebuild with a young and talented list, would get a very healthy crowd. Based on examples in the English Soccer League, sometimes the opportunity for promotion from Div2 can net bigger crowds than dead rubbers in the Premier League.

I'm watching the 'Sunderland till I die' documentary on Netflix.

Crowds of over 30,000 people are known to watch Div3 games, when supporter expectations are high. This is for clubs based in cities with populations of less than 300k.

Just saying.

I'm watching the 'Sunderland till I die' documentary on Netflix.

Crowds of over 30,000 people are known to watch Div3 games, when supporter expectations are high. This is for clubs based in cities with populations of less than 300k.

Just saying.
Loved that series. Shame they didn't keep making it.

Point of difference: most AFL clubs struggle to get 30k to games now off their own bat. Melbourne couldn't even draw that on the weekend coming off a flag, a winning streak and cheap tickets at the MCG. They'd be lucky to get 5k playing in the 3rd division against the Albany Arsebandits at Casey.

Nobody cares about GWS or GCS now.

Why would adding more new teams from areas nobody cares about make it more exciting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back